Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stefan Dennis (Paul Robinson, 'Neighbours')

Stefan Dennis (Paul Robinson, 'Neighbours')

Paul Robinson has had something of a rollercoaster year after losing his memory, his shares in Lassiters and girlfriend Rebecca. Still, landing the role as editor of Erinsborough News should keep him occupied for at least two weeks... With filming winding down for the Christmas break and Stefan Dennis preparing his beach bag to spend the festive season by the sea, we gave the actor a ring to see how life is for the ever-popular Paul Robinson.

The year's big storyline for Paul was his memory loss. Is he a changed man?
    "Yes he is, he's changed back to where he was 18 odd years ago. What he has become is the same Paul he was back then when he was a very ambitious young entrepreneur with Lassiters and Robinson Corporation. But the difference now is that he is older and wiser and therefore a lot more shrewd and a lot more careful. Post brain tumour, he is no longer evil, more ruthless than evil. Ruthless with a conscience and emotion."

There are occasional hints that he may return to his old ways. Is that fair to say?
    "Oh yeah! I like to keep that boiling under the surface so that the audience will always think 'what is he up to next?'. You never quite know if he will burst out into Mr. Evil or stay as the character he is at the moment. Alan Fletcher (Karl) keeps it alive as well, by always looking out the corner of his eye and thinking 'I just don't trust you!'"

He's not been left with many allies on the street. Who would stand by him?
    "Elle would definitely be the one to stand by him. Not Rebecca at the moment as they are not together. But definitely Elle. As much as all the terrible things they have done to each other, they are blood, so she is the one who cares most in the world about him. Otherwise, someone left of centre, like Toadie or Harold if he was still there, just because of the history."

Even after trying to strangle him?
    "That was a moment of insanity on Harold's side - Paul was indirectly responsible for killing his family. If Harold had strangled Paul and killed him, he would have gotten off a murder rap because he could plead insanity."

What are the chances of Paul and Rebecca getting back together?
    "Right at the moment, as we speak, absolutely zilcho! None at all, b*gger all! But that doesn't mean that next week they wont be together. I'm not allowed to divulge too much, but I have been in constant contact with the writers recently about the storyline. Its an ongoing thing and its going to take a lot of little windy turns along the road."

How might their relationship develop?
    "I want to see Paul and Rebecca be like Ange and Dirty Den. I think Rebecca is capable of that. She plays a fiery character and is a very strong. Paul needs somebody who is absolutely there for him and adores him, but will take no s**t from him and stand up and fight as hard as she does."

Paul has had quite a history with the women, hasn't he?
    "When he was Mr. Evil, the women were just toys. The Lynne story was quite sincere, but he had the good sense on the day of the wedding to tell her that he was no good. So he obviously cared about Lynne, but then she came back and haunted him."

Which relationship was the most fiery?
    "The Paul and Izzy relationship was fantastic, it was very popular. Izzy was an interesting character because she was very emotional and insecure. That's what drove her evil ways. She had a bit of a soulmate in Paul, but it couldn't work in the end because they would just destroy each other."

Do you get the same sort of attention from the ladies as Paul in real life?
    "Yes and no, as I've got older it has died down a bit. It was manic 15 years ago - a lot of female adulation happening there. These days its a bit more gentle, probably as I attract the 30-somethings now who are a little cooler and more sedate. Saying that, I am doing music gigs again and I was at a show the other night and the place was filled with 18 to 25-year-olds screaming. I thought that's not so bad. If I was single, man oh man!!"

There are rumours going round you may be leaving. How true are these?
    "I don't have any plans to leave in the foreseeable future. I'm very happy working on the show and I know it sounds clichéd, but Paul really is a multi-dimensional character to play and I have so much fun with him. I enjoy the fact I have a full-time job but would like to try other things alongside Neighbours. I'd love to be able to a film or another show every year to satisfy my thirst as an actor."

Neighbours airs weekdays on Five at 5.30pm and is repeated on Fiver at 7pm

Neighbours legend Paul Robinson receives a setback on UK screens next week as Susan Kennedy learns of his dastardly plan to oust her as the newspaper's editor.

Paul has been scheming to take control back at the paper for the past few weeks, but with shrewd Susan (Jackie Woodburne) able to stay one step ahead of him, he's gutted to realise that all of his recent plotting has come to nothing.

Soon afterwards, Paul also reaches the end of his tether with his girlfriend and PR consultant Zoe Alexander (Simmone Jade Mackinnon), deciding to end their relationship as he feels she is getting too involved with his family.

However, realising that his niece Sophie won't be pleased with the break-up, Paul makes the mistake of lying to her by claiming that Zoe initiated the split…

Digital Spy recently caught up with Stefan Dennis, who plays Paul, to hear more about his character's big week and where things are heading for him in the coming months.

Why does Paul's scheme against Susan go so wrong?
    "He asks his new publicist Zoe to organise a lunch with advertisers while Susan is away, and stipulates that the deals are only valid if he is in the editor's chair. Summer finds out and lets Susan in on the plan. It all unravels from there…"

How does Paul react to his plan failing? And what does Susan say?
    "Well, this is a situation which seems to be out of his control and he certainly isn't used to this, so he doesn't like it one bit! He is struggling to remain patient and focused.

"As for Susan, she isn't one for holding back and lets Paul have it when she returns. Understandably, she is furious."

Do you think Paul will give up on his ambitions to reclaim the editor's chair now?
    "Paul never gives up!"

We also see that Paul is getting fed up with Zoe seeming to interfere in his family's lives. Would you say Zoe is overstepping the mark, or is Paul just being irritable?
    "That's an interesting one, because from the outside she doesn't really do anything that I think you would call interfering. I think in this case, because everything is sort of falling apart with his control over the paper and his family, he can see Zoe having some influence over Sophie - and he doesn't like it."

How does Zoe react when Paul bites the bullet and finally dumps her?
    "I think she is stunned, because again she didn't really do anything that was so wrong. She's a beautiful woman, very successful and Paul has just dismissed her."

Paul tells Sophie that Zoe dumped him, but it doesn't take long for her to discover the truth… Is she angry?
    "Well, I guess the last thing anyone wants is to be lied to, particularly by your uncle, so Sophie is not happy with Paul painting Zoe as the bad guy."

These are Zoe's final scenes as her guest stint comes to an end. Did you enjoy working with Simmone?
    "It was an absolute pleasure working with Simmone - we had a lot of fun."

With Rebecca and Lyn out of the picture and no signs of Gail returning, would you like Paul to have a long-term love interest again anytime soon?
    "I actually like Paul the playboy! He had his heart shattered by Rebecca, and that's toughened him up even more. I think it will be a while before you see him settling into another relationship, if he ever does."

How do you feel about having Patrick Harvey back on set at the moment?
    "It's terrific - it's like he never left the show! He has slipped right back in."

Connor's exit in 2006 was quite a mysterious one, all involving Paul's son Robert. Do you think viewers' questions will be answered at last when Connor returns?
    "He comes back for a whole lot of personal reasons which will make sense to fans…"

Here in the UK, we also have the big car crash episodes to look forward to soon. What can we expect from this huge storyline?
    "The fabulous thing about it is the plethora of stories that evolve from these events. Andrew will certainly experience a drastic change in his life as a result of the accident and this will definitely impact on Paul, and you may even see a softer side for an episode or two… not long though!"

We've heard that Paul is going to be quite ruthless towards Chris as he blames him for the crash…
    "Yes, it's typical Paul - someone has to pay and he decides that Chris should take all of the blame before he knows the full story."

With Ajay living on the street, are you enjoying Paul having a new rival?
    "Definitely - I enjoy it when Paul is toying with someone, and at the moment it's Ajay. It also provides some light relief because not all situations are high drama - Paul's pettiness can add a lot of humour to the story."

The forums are full of speculation about a possible Paul and Priya affair. Do you think that's a possibility?
    "These are two of the most unlikely people to have an affair, which is precisely why it's definitely worth watching!"

Can you give us any final hints on what you're filming at the moment?
    "A lot of very intense scenes as a result of Paul's actions on those around him. Let's just say, in the coming months you'll see Paul Robinson on his worst behaviour in a long time…"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

homeawayjsk (31-08-2012)

Neighbours legend Paul Robinson receives a setback on UK screens next week as Susan Kennedy learns of his dastardly plan to oust her as the newspaper's editor.

Paul has been scheming to take control back at the paper for the past few weeks, but with shrewd Susan (Jackie Woodburne) able to stay one step ahead of him, he's gutted to realise that all of his recent plotting has come to nothing.

Soon afterwards, Paul also reaches the end of his tether with his girlfriend and PR consultant Zoe Alexander (Simmone Jade Mackinnon), deciding to end their relationship as he feels she is getting too involved with his family.

However, realising that his niece Sophie won't be pleased with the break-up, Paul makes the mistake of lying to her by claiming that Zoe initiated the split…

Digital Spy recently caught up with Stefan Dennis, who plays Paul, to hear more about his character's big week and where things are heading for him in the coming months.

Why does Paul's scheme against Susan go so wrong?
    "He asks his new publicist Zoe to organise a lunch with advertisers while Susan is away, and stipulates that the deals are only valid if he is in the editor's chair. Summer finds out and lets Susan in on the plan. It all unravels from there…"

How does Paul react to his plan failing? And what does Susan say?
    "Well, this is a situation which seems to be out of his control and he certainly isn't used to this, so he doesn't like it one bit! He is struggling to remain patient and focused.

"As for Susan, she isn't one for holding back and lets Paul have it when she returns. Understandably, she is furious."

Do you think Paul will give up on his ambitions to reclaim the editor's chair now?
    "Paul never gives up!"

We also see that Paul is getting fed up with Zoe seeming to interfere in his family's lives. Would you say Zoe is overstepping the mark, or is Paul just being irritable?
    "That's an interesting one, because from the outside she doesn't really do anything that I think you would call interfering. I think in this case, because everything is sort of falling apart with his control over the paper and his family, he can see Zoe having some influence over Sophie - and he doesn't like it."

How does Zoe react when Paul bites the bullet and finally dumps her?
    "I think she is stunned, because again she didn't really do anything that was so wrong. She's a beautiful woman, very successful and Paul has just dismissed her."

Paul tells Sophie that Zoe dumped him, but it doesn't take long for her to discover the truth… Is she angry?
    "Well, I guess the last thing anyone wants is to be lied to, particularly by your uncle, so Sophie is not happy with Paul painting Zoe as the bad guy."

These are Zoe's final scenes as her guest stint comes to an end. Did you enjoy working with Simmone?
    "It was an absolute pleasure working with Simmone - we had a lot of fun."

With Rebecca and Lyn out of the picture and no signs of Gail returning, would you like Paul to have a long-term love interest again anytime soon?
    "I actually like Paul the playboy! He had his heart shattered by Rebecca, and that's toughened him up even more. I think it will be a while before you see him settling into another relationship, if he ever does."

How do you feel about having Patrick Harvey back on set at the moment?
    "It's terrific - it's like he never left the show! He has slipped right back in."

Connor's exit in 2006 was quite a mysterious one, all involving Paul's son Robert. Do you think viewers' questions will be answered at last when Connor returns?
    "He comes back for a whole lot of personal reasons which will make sense to fans…"

Here in the UK, we also have the big car crash episodes to look forward to soon. What can we expect from this huge storyline?
    "The fabulous thing about it is the plethora of stories that evolve from these events. Andrew will certainly experience a drastic change in his life as a result of the accident and this will definitely impact on Paul, and you may even see a softer side for an episode or two… not long though!"

We've heard that Paul is going to be quite ruthless towards Chris as he blames him for the crash…
    "Yes, it's typical Paul - someone has to pay and he decides that Chris should take all of the blame before he knows the full story."

With Ajay living on the street, are you enjoying Paul having a new rival?
    "Definitely - I enjoy it when Paul is toying with someone, and at the moment it's Ajay. It also provides some light relief because not all situations are high drama - Paul's pettiness can add a lot of humour to the story."

The forums are full of speculation about a possible Paul and Priya affair. Do you think that's a possibility?
    "These are two of the most unlikely people to have an affair, which is precisely why it's definitely worth watching!"

Can you give us any final hints on what you're filming at the moment?
    "A lot of very intense scenes as a result of Paul's actions on those around him. Let's just say, in the coming months you'll see Paul Robinson on his worst behaviour in a long time…"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

homeawayjsk (31-08-2012)

At last...looking forward to the Mr bad guy in action and hope some interesting stories with Priya and Paul...

Connor's coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by kayuqtuq View Post
    Connor's coming back?
    Yes, he is http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/s...=Connor+leaves

Quote Originally Posted by kayuqtuq View Post
    Connor's coming back?
    Yes, he is http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/s...=Connor+leaves

Neighbours wouldn't be as good without Paul in it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to N.Fan For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (04-09-2012)

True. well said...

Stefan Dennis has revealed that he wasn't initially interested in being in the soap.

Dennis, who first joined the show in 1985 as Paul Robinson, has admitted that he was more keen on pursuing a film role.

"I didn't even want to do Neighbours. I was up for a film at the same time and was so desperate to get the role in that", he revealed to Inside Soap.

"I wasn't interested when my agent also put me forward for the Neighbours audition. I literally turned up on my push-bike looking a mess, but because I was so relaxed and didn't really care, I obviously read well, because I got the part!

"At that point, I signed on for a six-month contract and didn't think the show would last any longer than that. The irony is the film was the biggest ever box-office flop, whilst Neighbours turned out to be totally brilliant."

Dennis also revealed that it has taken him a while to feel comfortable with his alter ego's 'villain' image.

"I enjoy it now, but for ages I really fought being typecast as a bad guy. In fact, that is why I left the show all those years ago and came back to the UK.

"But in hindsight, I'm enormously pleased with the way things have turned out. I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for Paul being so shady."

The actor also admitted that he would never rule out leaving Neighbours for fellow Australian soap Home and Away.

Dennis said: "Why not? I'm an actor after all. I don't think the producers of Neighbours would be very happy about it, but never say never."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-04-2013), homeawayjsk (25-04-2013)

Thread Information