Thread: 'Hollyoaks' honoured with Mental Health award

'Hollyoaks' honoured with Mental Health award

Chester-based soap Hollyoaks has been honoured for its portrayal of Hannah Ashworth's struggle with anorexia and bulimia at this year's Mental Health Media Awards.

Last year, Hannah – played by Emma Rigby – became the focus of one of the show's most hard-hitting storylines as she and best friend Melissa (Carla Chases) became obsessed with their eating habits and hit rock bottom.

The plot came to an emotional climax when Melissa suffered a heart attack as the side-effects of her condition took hold.

Speaking of the award, Rigby said: "This is fantastic recognition for a storyline I was very privileged to be part of. There was a lot of research with Hannah's plight and I'm pleased that it's paid off. Hopefully we've shown through the storyline that people can recover."

Show producer Bryan Kirkwood added: "Hollyoaks' win at the Mental Health Awards rounds off another brilliant year for the show. Emma's portrayal was raw and from the heart and she totally deserves this awards success. It's yet more proof that Hollyoaks has grown up into a mature, agenda-setting programme."

The Mental Health Media Awards 2008 were held last night at BAFTA in central London and were attended by Emma Rigby, Ricky Whittle (Calvin Valentine), Lena Kaur (Leila Roy) and Hollyoaks' executive producer Tony Wood.

Earlier this month, it was announced that Rigby is to quit her Hollyoaks role next year in order to pursue other acting ventures.

Well done

They really did earn it well
    Brilliant storyline

I am glad they are getting recognised as it was really well portrayed and showed how serious the issues were.

Thread Information