Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Beale (Adam Woodyatt)

Cool Ian Beale/Adam Woodyatt Quits Ee

From Todays Sunday Mirror

TROUBLED EastEnders was plunged into more turmoil last night after veteran Adam Woodyatt said he's quitting the show.

The 37-year-old actor, who plays weasel-like Ian Beale, has told bosses he's fed up being "Walford's favourite whipping boy" and will NOT be renewing his £310,000-a-year contract.

The move comes just weeks after Woodyatt's close pal, Wendy Richard, announced she was quitting her role as battle-axe Pauline Fowler after 21 years.

Bosses are desperately trying to talk Woodyatt - who, along with June Brown as Dot Cotton, is the only original cast member left - to stay. But he's made it clear he wants out of the ailing BBC1 soap.

An insider said: "Adam is totally fed-up and told bosses he's y*"v I leaving the show.

"Bosses are keeping it top secret as they're desperately trying to talk him around, but he has made his mind up.

"Adam has always been very close to Wendy Richard, who plays his aunt on the show. Her decision to go has spurred him on.

"As far as he's concerned, he's not happy and doesn't want to be the last original character left."

The Sunday Mirror revealed how Woodyatt threatened to quit three months ago as he was tired of his character being singled out for "special treatment" by the Mitchell brothers.

Over the years, hardman Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden) has doused chip frier Ian with ketchup - and once beat him up and shoved his head down the toilet.

In July 2000, Ian was left a whimpering wreck as Phil grasped him by the throat.

Despite voicing concerns to bosses, he's furious his character continues to be Walford's "whipping boy".

An insider added "Adam took his screen fate on the chin to begin with, but he's had enough now. After 21 years on the show he is tired of being the laughing stock of Walford and feels he deserves more respect."

Woodyatt, who appeared in the very first episode of the show on February 19, 1985, hinted last year that he was ready to walk.

He said: "It has crossed my mind, probably more now than at any other time. Is it time to move on and do something else?

"I've seen what my mate Todd Carty (who played his cousin Mark Fowler) has done in The Bill and it does make you wonder."

He added: "I think we're reaching saturation point with the situation between Ian and Phil Mitchell.

"Where else can we go with it? At some point something has to neutralise it."

His decision has plunged the show into further crisis. Last month, the flagship soap attracted just 3.9million viewers - the lowest in its 21-year history.

In its heyday, on Christmas Day 1986, 30.15million viewers tuned in to see "Dirty" Den Watts hand over divorce papers to wife Angie.
    Last edited by alan45; 13-08-2006 at 09:15.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

with Adam wanting to leave,I think that it will be the final straw, with the exception of June Brown and Barbara Windsor,and ofcourse Pam St Clemet the only big name actors left, I dont think The show can not take so many big names leaving.I think it is the end of the road for what was at one time my favourite soap.

well I cant say Im suprised to be honest I think there has to be some other reason for leaving after 20 years on a show as a 'Whipping boy' you dont just suddenly realise thats why you want out. Mind you personally I was never a fan of Ian's so I probably won't miss him all that much anyway.

Thank you Jessie Wallace

I blame it on the decision to bring back the Magnkificent Mitchells The beeb spent hundreds of thousands of pounds of licence payers money to bring these overated actors back for a few weeks. In doing so they ruined the character of Johnny Allen who was a much superior character played by a much superior actor.

If Adam leaves that will be yet another nail in this ailing soaps coffin. Still they will probably replace him with some 16 yr old who can be voted .Worlds Sexiest Soap Actor' at the Rots on TV awards next year
    Last edited by alan45; 13-08-2006 at 09:13.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

I saw that coming a mile off. I guessed the next to leave would be either Adam, June, John, Pam. So eventually we will be left with unknowns and a "New Unrecognisable" Enders.

Rumours have been rife of late about Adam quitting then it being "quashed" so now it has actually happened. Ian has been another vicitm of character assassination. In my opinion Enders seems to be doing very much a case of out with the old in with the new crap. Now tell me there is nothing wrong with the writing and the direction in which the soap is going.

If they win an award at the next soap/Tv do then I know it will be a fix.

A Very Sexy and Brilliant Actor

Hope he does leave, i've never liked the character, i could never warm to him, if you know what i mean.
    Adam as a person is great tho, spoken to him a few times, and he does loads for charity.

I can't say i'm suprised,i think a few more will also quit by the end of the year,and i think june brown will leave next year ,there has to be somthing going on at elstree,but one thing is for sure the ship is sinking and fast

This is the final nail in the coffin I believe now! Alan you are so right with the Mitchell theory, this is what has killed the soap. They where great actors in the soap once, but we all know you cant relieve the past. The only thing that would have been worth it was the Watts / Mitchell Feud. But they killed Dirty Den off, and then got the mitchells out of prison and off charges that simply no one in the real world would have got away with. They made us viewers look like thick stupid idiots buy making us believe it. I could just about believe Den coming back, but I cant believe the police who hate the mitchells that much would let them off the charges etc/....

With Adam going that means, Eastenders will final end sooner rather than later.

I dont hate, Adam or Wendy for leaving, because they have left for all the right reasons, even Johnny Allen's actor agrees

its a shame he is quitting - he is one of the main faces of eatenders and will be missed by lots of people!
    im back everyone!!!!!!

It will be a shame to see him leave after hes been on it for such a long time! Although i hope the Soap still does better without him and Wendy, afterall we've still got great characters such as Dot, Pat, Stacey, Peggy etc...

Thread Information