Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: University

You spend so much time travelling on trains that you know the exact times between stations and could do the conductor's job for him.
    Thanks CrazyLea

I love this thread! Just been reading the tips and observations and thought I would dig it back up...

I can't wait for uni now. I am so excited but I am really nervous too!

I think I worked out that I can spend like £30 a week or something like that as a reasonable budget.

i'd advise having a bit more put aside for September as you always spend more, textbooks, joining clubs, freshers week.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (09-08-2009)

yeh i agree. some weeks you will need more than that, like katy said freshers week and also near xmas and end of year. though some weeks ive got by on £10 so spending more on some weeks wont matter
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to di marco For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (09-08-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    i'd advise having a bit more put aside for September as you always spend more, textbooks, joining clubs, freshers week.
    With regards to those, only buy the core books for your course that you will use for the whole three years. The rest you can get from the library and there's no point spending good money on books that you will only use for one module.

Also, your university might have a e-library facility where the books are online. At Staffs we have access to four or five online ebook sites with millions of books. TBH, I've only used it once as it's a right faff and I prefer real books to a monitor when looking things up.

The module leader for one of my modules insisted we all buy a particular textbook, which was around 40 quid, for a 12 week module. I kept refusing to fork out so much when a) it wasn't necessary; b) I wouldn't use it; c) I can get it from the library. Stupid woman

So yeah, don't buy text books straight away. Your lecturers will let you know which they reference from most often and which you will get most use out of.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (09-08-2009)

yeah definitly buy them after you start. Also try second hand, i put all mine on amazon and buy them from there to, most are in great condition and are really cheap in comparasion to what you usually would.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (09-08-2009)

Thanks for the tips! I will try and save more money then so I can spend more than £30 a week

I was thinking of buying some books after I get my results.. but I might not bother now or if I do, I will get them second hand. I think some of the second year students are offering to sell their books to first years, so I might see if I can get some of the core books from them.

yeah thats a good idea davey, spent an absolute fortune my first year and some of them i never even looked at.

The max i spent on a book last year was probably a fiver and it was rrp at 45 quid, because it was second hand. There are usually notice boards in the librarys where other students advertise there old books. I was spoeaking to my friend yesterday and he is going for the first time in september and the excitements kicking in.

I just cant believe how fast it has gone.

Ah ok, I'll have a look in the library when I get there as well What uni is your friend hoping to go to? The excitement is kicking in for me now as well - after some initial doubts, now it is so near.. I just want to get there. I still am nervous as well but it's a mixture of nerves and excitement.
    Last edited by DaVeyWaVey; 10-08-2009 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVeyWaVey View Post
    Ah ok, I'll have a look in the library when I get there as well What uni is your friend hoping to go to? The excitement is kicking in for me now as well - after some initial doubts, now it is so near.. I just want to get there. I still am nervous as well but it's a mixture of nerves and excitement.
    hes going to nottingham. the nerves will soon pass im sure once your there. I found i was too busy to be nervous!

Thread Information