Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: University

although textbooks are often in the library, before you dont buy any and assume you will be able to get them from the library check out how many copies the library actually has. as the library at my uni sometimes only has 1 or 2 copies and so unless you are really organised and get the book out a few months before a deadline/exam you might not be able to get hold of it
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Okay, so I have 2 years to go at college before I start Uni but I'm looking around on the internet and have ordered a few prospectuses, just for a bit of research really, but I'm just wondering does anybody go to Liverpool University? I'm curious about it because me and a friend are planning on going to the same uni and getting a flat together because a relative of hers owns some houses around the area and we can get it for cheaper and that. Also I've had a career change I think. I was gonna do midwifery but I plan on moving to the states when i'm done studying and the midwife part is not the same over there as here and so it'd be hard to get a job where I'd understand it all properly so i'm thinking that i'm gonna do my nursing degree first so I can cover all the different aspects and maybe even choose a different branch. But anyways, yeah I was just wondering if anybody went to Liverpool?
    thankyouu
    Last edited by Hollie-x; 13-08-2009 at 10:56.
    •♥Celine: Through The Eyes Of The World - 02/18/2010♥•
    BlackBerry Pin: 21F35441

Do you mean Liverpool John Moors?

I've been doing a bit of research on nursing and LJM comes 13th in the top 20 in the country according to the Independent (24th April 08)

In the Guardian league tables for 2010, LJM comes second from bottom (72)

If you are really serious about moving to America after you graduate, you'd be better applying for the top five or top ten universities. York, Leeds and Sheffield are all excellent unis (not the metropolitan ones) and easy to get to. Also, find out if employers over there prefer diplomas or degrees.

After you graduate, you could do a shortened midwifery course (about 18 months).

Most universities have two intakes of nursing students in January and September each year
    Last edited by Abigail; 13-08-2009 at 12:04.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Hollie-x (13-08-2009)

Thanks for that. It's not the John Moores one it's University of Liverpool.
    Obv it's still early but like I say I wanna get some info before I start really considering places. When do you start like going for open days and that? Do you do it first year of college because a few people I know are in their first year and have already said they've been and decided where they want to go.

You can go visit at any pont. Most universities have open days every week, usually on Wednesday and Saturday throughout the year.

Also, I forgot to mention. Don't choose a university just because your friend is and you can get cheap housing. A good degree from a good university is more important than saving a few grand over the duration of your course. There's no guarantees that you will both get offers and both get the results needed to go, especially if you are applying for something as competitive as nursing and other medicine courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    You can go visit at any pont. Most universities have open days every week, usually on Wednesday and Saturday throughout the year.

Also, I forgot to mention. Don't choose a university just because your friend is and you can get cheap housing. A good degree from a good university is more important than saving a few grand over the duration of your course. There's no guarantees that you will both get offers and both get the results needed to go, especially if you are applying for something as competitive as nursing and other medicine courses.
    Yeah, that's what i've been thinking, I did have UoL as an option before she mentioned she was gonna try and get in here, my second choice if I don't get in is one closer to home so I can still live at home.

Thanks for the info

like abigail said, dont go to a uni cos your friend is going. if its still the uni you want to go to after youve looked round some then obviously that would be good but dont rule others out til youve seen them. also even though quite a lot of unis have open days throughout the year, quite a lot of unis have their big open days in october so if you wanna start looking early you might wanna see when the unis will be having theirs. also even though you can go anytime, remember that as you wont be going to uni for a few years some of the info you get given might be slightly different from what it would be when you get there as it wont be catered for your year (if that makes sense). also maybe have a look on american job websites to see what sort of qualifications the jobs over there require. its good that youre thinking about it early though
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Im looking forward to it now but Im also for the first time starting to feel really nervous, I dunno, everything just feels a bit surreal at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    Im looking forward to it now but Im also for the first time starting to feel really nervous, I dunno, everything just feels a bit surreal at the moment
    Nervous is good in a way though i suppose, where is it your going again?

Your all have a great time when you get there, and it will go so quickly i remember posting on here how nervous i was, cant believe i am going to be in my third year!

I think its nervous in a good way, I cant really tell at the moment, it doesnt help that I just got back from holiday and need to get back to normal, but there is no normal since its still a long summer and Im sort of inbetween education if you know what I mean
    Exeter.......well hopefully

Thread Information