Thread: EXCLUSIVE: Emma Rigby quits 'Hollyoaks'

EXCLUSIVE: Emma Rigby quits 'Hollyoaks'

Hollyoaks actress Emma Rigby has quit her role in the Channel 4 soap after nearly four years, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

The 19-year-old, who won the 'Best Actress' accolade at this year's British Soap Awards, is to leave early next year in order to pursue other drama, film and theatre projects.

Speaking exclusively to DS, she said: "I've been on Hollyoaks since I was 15 and I've grown up on the show. I'm so very fortunate to be given the opportunity to learn my craft in such a fantastic environment. I just feel that the time is right to move on and hopefully get into dramas and films as I love to play different roles."

She added: "I am really grateful to Bryan Kirkwood and Tony Wood and all the other production staff for the opportunities given to me and i've seen the show go from strength to strength."

On life beyond Hollyoaks, she told Mayfair Fashion magazine: "As of yet I've not got any other commitments, but I'm looking into a British film or maybe a stint in musical theatre.

"I really want to build my experience up. I'm not looking towards another soap, although one-off drama pieces interest me a lot."

Hollyoaks producer Bryan Kirkwood said: "It's a real shame that Emma has decided to leave Hollyoaks but viewers will see her on screen until June 2009 and we can guarantee another brilliant year in the show for her.

"With Lucy Allan taking the helm, 2009 looks set to be another action-packed year for Hollyoaks that will consolidate the show’s award-winning success."

Last year, Emma was involved in one of the most hard-hitting storylines in the show's history, which saw her character Hanna suffering from eating disorders anorexia and bulimia. The climax to the plot featured UK soap's first anorexic death when Hannah's best friend Melissa Hurst (Carla Chases) suffered a heart attack due to her fragile condition.

Emma finishes filming with the Chester-based soap in March and will remain on screen until June.

At the end of last month, it was announced that Roxanne McKee was to leave the soap in December. Producer Bryan Kirkwood will vacate his office at around the same time, making way for his successor, the show's deputy producer Lucy Allan.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (10-11-2008)

what a loss to the show, Emma is very talented and I'm sure she'll find work elsewhere, will be sad to see her go!

Sad news, im not a massive fan of Hannah but she proved herself a worthy actress in the anorexia storyline. wonder how she leaves..
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

But shes pretty much the best on there!

Its a shame she is leaving

She was the best in the Ashworth family ( i hope they all live as well)

I wonder will Justin leave with her or be the cause of her leaving

There is rumours of a pregnancy for Hannah

I really hope she doesnt leave, its so sad shes the only one that can REALLY act

Hollyoaks actress Emma Rigby is to stay on at the Channel 4 soap for an additional six months.

In November, the 19-year-old - who plays Hannah Ashworth - revealed her intention to leave the show this month, remaining on screen until June.

However, after meetings with new producer Lucy Allan, she has agreed to stay with the soap until at least October.

A spokesperson for the programme this afternoon confirmed to DS: "Hannah changed her mind about leaving and is now contracted until October. She has some fantastic storylines penned for over the summer.

"She is now like any other member of the cast and has an option to renew when her contract when this on comes to an end."

However, a source added: "Hannah's extended her contract by six months but has every intention of leaving when it expires in October. She's been promised a juicy exit storyline for the back end of the year."

Hollyoaks star Emma Rigby has vowed to concentrate on "serious" roles after she bows out of the soap in December.

The 19-year-old actress recently confirmed that she plans to leave her part as Hannah Ashworth on the Channel 4 show in order to pursue new projects.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a1...ama-roles.html

Thread Information