Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depressed..By my height?!

Depressed..By my height?!

Okay, so I did a Google search on 'I hate being short' and I am going to take some quotations which someone has said and the ones that apply to me.. And honestly I am getting so depressed of my height so here we go..

Oh before we start.. I am 17 and 4'10 and I have not got any disabilities.

"People feel that they have the right to ask you how tall you are...and then of course the ever so popular 'How old are you?' soon follows." - Yup, I get it nearly everyday at school! From random little annoying flippin' students in Year 7 - Year 11!

"I am to the point in my life where I can just TELL when someone is 'sizing me up', trying to figure out how tall or how old I am. I can see it on their faces. (Nothing like being obvious, people!)" - Yup, it happened today where I looked at this boy's face (who I know and is in my year) and I told him don't even start..

I get commented on my height at least once a day, I promise you, randomers as well as people in my class everyday. Today I was probably commented on my height about 8 times, maybe..?
    Seriously I just want to flippin' cry and do something like ARGHHH!
    I been the shortest in my year since Year 10 I think (now in Yr12)..

I try and laugh it off most the time, what else can I do? But sometimes it just all tops up and it's like ''OKAY YOU CAN STOP NOW!''..
    Oh and I starting to wear heels but come on my feet deserve a break so I'm not going to wear it all the time you know! But yup, still the 'shorty'.. I try and embrace that nickname as I think it's cute but some people just make annoying small jokes or whatever..

I just don't know what to do guys.. Please help me out.. x

This is a really diffcult thing as its somethibg that you cant control, but you are who you are and you should try to love your hright no matter what. Im friends with lot of people who a shorter than me and about 2 or 3 are only a little taller than you and older than you.
    The thing is, Im sorry to say is just ignore the people, tell them to shut up and the names should stop I mean they would get used to it.
    But really dont be depressed about your height, so what if your not as tall as everyone else, nobody can control it, you just have to use what youve got and except who you are. even tall people want to be shorter and so on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abbie For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (05-11-2008)

I feel like this sometimes. Not as short as you - just, but it still hurts me sometimes. I do the same as you, and just laugh it off sometimes. I also get some snide remark every day... mostly by my mates, and I know they're only winding me up.

Anyway, laughing it off doesn't seem to work, so maybe you should actually just have a word with them, or GO MAD. Like proper angry lol . That will scare them .

But please don't let your height get you down. Just try and ignore it. I know it's hard. They're only joking about it because they wish they were as cute as you .
    Last edited by CrazyLea; 05-11-2008 at 21:12.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLea For This Useful Post:

I have been 5 foot 9.5 since i was in primary 7. Although my problem was the opposite to yours the effects were the same. Comments from everyone, a chorus of 'down in the valley of the jolly green giant' when I got to school (school colour was green).

At the discos in Glasgow everyone was shorter than me, and I got comments about my height all the time- what's the weather like up there? You should put stones in your pockets etc etc.

Eventually you realise that that comments come from people who are not happy in their own skin. Putting other people down is the only way they have of feeling good about themselves.

There are good things about being tall ( and I guess 5 9.5 isn't that tall anymore) and there are also good things about being short.

This is probably sexist but at least you won't have to right off half the male population for being shorter than you!

When you are older you will always seem young for your age - and after 25 that is a blessing.

You may also be able to wear VAT free kids clothes and/or shoe - trendy and cheap!

The main thing that I am trying to say is that you are you - your height is immaterial. Learn to love yourself, and if other people make comments - well that says a lot more about them than you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

Trinity, I get the exact opposite comment.. ''What's the weather like down there?'' (!)

I also noticed that the girls think I am 'cute' but the boys in my year comment on my height and make a friendly joke (but it still annoys me sometimes) out of it but the immature little boys 'pick' on my height..

Lea: I laugh it off 90% of the time but sometimes it just gets too much you know, then I just say nothing and ignore it while my blood boils! Today two boys came and spoke to me randomly going 'You don't look like a sixth former'..
    Then I was standing outside ICT waiting to go in and a boy taps me on the shoulder and goes HIYA standing right next to me (completely obviously comparing heights) but his mates thought he was pretty wierd because he was talking to a random person lol..

Thing is I really do want to go angry and I can but I hold it in soooo much.. Incase I get in trouble for swearing or whatever (without swearing you won't get through to these immature kids) and just say I get caught by a teacher.. Question is, would they understand it from my point of view?..

Abbie: Yeah I know nearly everyone wants to be short/tall.. It's just that they don't get commented on it everyday, several times a day!

x

Why don't you try speaking to your tutor about it first. Ask her/him for advice about what he thinks you should do. Or if you don't like your tutor, a teacher you do like, who would understand. Tell them exactly how it makes you feel, and that you want to react back in an angry way, and see what they say to you?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLea For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (06-11-2008)

good things come in small packages! don't let your height get your down, as others have said it's out of control. Just be yourself - a nice person, and should shine through. We all have imperfections that are out of out control, you just have to learn to love yourself for the way you are! x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (07-11-2008)

I ditto what Bryan says, i have friends who are small, but if you feel comfortable with yourself and let that show then who cares, and put it this way, you can wear all those gorgeous high heels that are in fashion at the moment and not look like some Oompa loompa giant person like i would!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Layne For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (07-11-2008)

I only just manage to scrape over the 5' mark and have always told people that the best and most valuable things come in small packets. Used to shut up those that were teasing me. And as was posted above, you can always use high heels to give you a taller appearance. I quite like being small at times, have asked some very nice looking chaps to get me things of high shelves in supermarkets

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (08-11-2008)

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    I'm 5ft 4", way shorter than most in my eldest's school , not just yr 11 but yr 7 too. My son has the same problem in that he's 5ft 2" in Yr 10 and everyone around him have shot up, and are nearing, if not over the 6ft mark. He gets the cute comments, the shortie comments, the "theres no way you are in Yr 10" comments etc and it really gets him down, along with the physical bullying that goes along with it.

I used to hate being my height, but for me, now, its great. No one can correctly guess my age, the same for my son and heels help (I've lost count of the no of pairs in my closet).

Years ago, the average height for was a lot shorter than it is now, and in reality, you would have been an average height.

Just remember, great things DO come in small packages and use it to your advantage. Try to always think that the glass is half full and not half empty. Like Perdita said, getting help from the top shelf from taller guys etc - tis always a bonus and it just wouldn't work if you were 6ft

When they get older and out of school, people start remembering to look past whats on the outside and see the inner beauty of people. Not how someone looks, whether it be large, skinny, tall, short etc. Its the kind of person you are - this will soon become apparent hun.

x x x x x x

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (08-11-2008)

Thread Information