Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Mitchell

Here, newcomer Harry Reid - who has taken over the role of Ben - chats about joining EastEnders and what fans can expect from the new storyline.

How is Ben when he comes back? Is he a reformed character?
    "Ben has come back knowing what he left behind. He wants to try and bury a lot of the bad stuff that happened and wants people to have a good view of him. At the same time, he doesn't want to be weak - he is still a Mitchell and Phil's son. He wants people to understand that he's smarter now, whereas before he was a bit of a loose cannon.

"Ben has been inside twice and that has a lasting effect on people. He's got a bit of a brain now, so it will be interesting to see how he starts to manipulate people in certain ways. There is that element of nice about him, and he's half Beale so he still has a soft side as well."

Is Ben still hot-headed?
    "He's still got that explosive temper and a lot of it is frustration. He wants people to forgive him, but he knows it's not going to happen. That's where the frustration comes from. There's still going to be that explosive element, you won't be able to take that out of him, but it's more how he controls it which will interest people."

How do things go between Ben and Phil?
    "Phil's happy that Ben's back but it's not that simple. When Ben left, he said he didn't want to see Phil whilst he was inside - he wanted to do it by himself. It was a personal thing for him, as he wanted to believe he could get through it himself.

"Ben has always relied on his dad and Phil has always had to back him up, but the Mitchells are about strength and what you can do as a person. Ben going back to see Phil is really about having someone by his side after he's been gathering his thoughts for so long."

How does Ben feel about seeing Shirley again?
    "Ben loves Shirley. He's not had a good life with women in terms of motherly figures. He loved Heather - her murder was an angry reaction and an accident. What hurts Ben the most is he knows that ultimately, it's his fault that there's a chance that Shirley will never forgive him because of what he did.

"Shirley has got to bring herself to forgive him. If you put yourself in her position, it's hard. Ben's not scared to see her, but he's scared of what the outcome will be of their friendship. That's what he wants back - their friendship."

Why has it taken Ben so long to come back to Walford?
    "At first, Ben didn't think it was a good idea at all. It's Jay who has persuaded him. I think Jay feels safer with his brother, although even they have their comings and goings. He's been waiting for his moment to come back when it feels right, feels necessary, and when it makes a big impact as well."

Will there be any relationships for Ben?
    "He's discovered over the years that relationships can cause a lot of problems. I think it would be nice for him to get a relationship, but I think it's difficult. People know who he is and what he's like. He doesn't trust anyone. He only trusts himself. It will be interesting to see how he goes about with that."

Will Ben find it difficult seeing Lola and Lexi?
    "I think so. The problem with that is he's not been around at all while Lexi's been growing up. That makes it even more difficult for a young dad. Ben is 18. He's got to try and support her, a kid, and that is a difficult thing. He also knows that what happened between him and Lola shouldn't have done. It was only because Ben wanted to confirm whether he was gay or not."

Does Ben want to wreck Phil and Sharon's wedding?
    "No, but he wants Phil and Shirley to be together because he knows they love each other - they've been through thick and thin. Ben loves Shirley, and Phil loves Shirley. He knows that it is the perfect relationship.

"He's never met Sharon but he's heard things about her from Peggy and Grant and all they say is that she split the two brothers up. There's no debate in that. Ben wants his dad to be happy, but he doesn't want to feel unwelcome. Sharon, obviously, doesn't want him there. Hopefully, through persuasion, Ben can get her to drop her guard."

What can we expect from Phil and Ben's relationship?
    "You can expect them to be united together. Phil will always back his boy as long as his boy proves himself. Although Phil loves Ben, you have to prove yourself in this family. Ben will be going out to prove to his dad that he is a Mitchell and that he's smarter now. He will be proving to Phil that he is worthy enough to be in the Mitchell family."

How daunting was it filming those initial scenes with Steve McFadden?
    "I was bricking it. Steve's quite intense, as you can tell by his character and he's being doing it for years. It's different to come into this with other actors as a whole family because you can latch on to others, but by yourself, it's a big bit of pressure. Steve's kind of adopted me in a lot of ways, like a father/son thing outside of the scenes. He's helped me a lot."

What advice has Steve given you?
    "To take each page as it is. Before I came here I was thinking, 'I'd better learn all these lines and get them all in my head' Steve said it's about what's on the page, it's not a memory test, it's not live. You read the page and it's all about the truth and what you can get out of it. It's not theatre, it's not theatrical, it's dramatic in its own way but it's what's on the page."

What was your first day like?
    "It was quite intimidating and my first week was one of the scariest weeks of my life. Multi-camera as well was a whole new ball game. There' a camera here, a camera there, and I can't move there, because he'll see me, and it's just takes a lot.

"Danny Dyer came up to me, and the man's done however many films and he said, 'It takes a while, mate. You'll get into it'. Everyone's been brilliant and so inviting and it's made me feel comfortable to just get on with it."

How do you feel about the attention that comes with a role on EastEnders?
    "Steve said that my world will change and it will be very different. What I've gathered is to be yourself and make sure that you're still the person that's here today, so I'm not going to be a different person in years to come. Everyone deals with it in their own way. People ignore it, people lap it up, people stay the same. You can deal with it any way you like."

Have friends said that you look like Ben at all?
    "I have blue eyes, like Steve, and the glasses kind of help. I didn't wear them at my audition actually because I didn't want to come across like, 'Look, I'm Ben, glasses and everything'. A lot of people have said that I look like him, and there are similarities, I'm just a bit older."

How did friends and family react when you got the part?
    "I had to keep quiet for a month which was difficult. My Scottish nana ended up having it announced on the supermarket tannoys in Scotland! That was interesting! My family took it brilliantly though - they were really chuffed. My mum still finds it weird that she'll be watching EastEnders with me in it. It doesn't feel real yet because it's not on screen."

Where do you plan to be when it goes out?
    "My mum wants to do a cinema night and watch it. I did say to her, 'I'm not going to be in it long in the first one. It might be a bit of a waste of time!' I'd have to invite everyone in at the last minute - 'Get in now!' So I plan to be there, but I might be working anyway. Hopefully I'll be at home, so she can pop open the champagne and give me kisses and all that!"

EastEnders newcomer Harry Reid has told Digital Spy that he wants his character Ben Mitchell to be closely involved with the Lucy Beale murder case.

Ben was up to no good on the night of Lucy's death, as he and Jay Brown were involved in a robbery close to Walford Common, where her body was found. They are also both withholding potentially crucial evidence after deciding to bury her phone and purse for unknown reasons.

Speaking to Digital Spy at the Inside Soap Awards 2014 this week, Reid admitted that he is still unsure about whether Ben and Jay's dodgy behaviour is a red herring.

He commented: "It's really good to be involved in the Lucy story. I think it's a great time to come into the show, as there's so much action at the moment. Sometimes there's not much going on, but at this moment there's a lot of stuff and the Lucy murder is obviously such a big case.

"It's exciting to think about what Ben could be involved with. I know nothing, though! They won't tell me anything because I'm the new boy on the block.

"From guessing and looking at the episodes so far, maybe Ben is involved and maybe he's not, but there's a massive list of us who could be. Hopefully Ben is - it'd be exciting to be involved, so watch this space."

Discussing the live broadcasts planned for the show's 30th anniversary celebrations next year, Reid continued: "I'm excited, but it's obviously challenging as well. It's going to be a weird experience, because I've never done something like that with a live audience before.

"I've heard that it's very intense, but such an exciting thing to be a part of. I think I've arrived at the right time!"

Reid added that viewers can expect to see a strong bond develop between Ben and his father Phil (Steve McFadden) as their storylines develop further.

He said: "The Mitchells are all about family and that's their motto. They're going to have some ups and downs, but ultimately they are father and son so they're going to stick together."

Reid made his first appearance as Ben last month as the character returned following a two-year absence.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (06-10-2014)

EastEnders teen Ben Mitchell becomes romantically involved with Abi Branning next week as he tries to keep up the pretence that he is straight.

The two friends share an unexpected kiss as Abi helps Ben to clean himself up following a public scuffle with Lee Carter. They later announce that they are in a relationship, but Johnny Carter - the real object of Ben's affections - can see that he isn't being true to himself.

Here, Harry Reid - who plays Ben - offers his insight into the surprising new storyline for his troubled character.

What can you tell us about the first kiss between Ben and Abi?
    "Ben is trying desperately to prove that he can like women. Abi is a very confused girl and she doesn't really have a clue what's going on - she just idolises Ben and thinks he is amazing. For Ben, he thinks that he can prove to everyone that he is straight by kissing Abi.

"As they have quite a tight friendship, Ben finds that quite easy and Abi doesn't get it. She just thinks, 'Oh, he kissed me, he loves me, that's it - we should be together forever, get married and have children'. So I think it's interesting what Ben creates out of that kiss."

Ben and Abi do later announce that they're in a relationship, so is he prepared to go the whole hog with her?
    "Yes, I think he does. Ben is a conniving bloke. He will come across as though he wants to change, but at the same time as he's with Abi, he is very interested in Johnny. I think he'd quite like a secret gay life in which he can sleep with men, but on the outside, he is this straight guy who is with his girl.

"It's a 'better image' for the Mitchells - that's all it is. If he was a Beale, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but because it is the Mitchell family, Ben thinks he needs that image of him with a woman by his side - whereas in the background he can do what he wants."

Abi and Ben kiss.
    © BBC
    Abi and Ben kiss.

Is there a part of Ben that wants to get at Jay by being with Abi?
    "No, Jay is his brother. Although Jay is adopted, he is a brother to Ben - his companion and he has been there for him a lot. What Ben wants is someone he can manipulate. With Abi, she idolises Ben and she thinks he is God, so it's an opportunity for him. It is awkward that Abi was Jay's girlfriend, but they have moved on. It's nice for Ben to have someone to tell what to do - and she will always fight his corner, always."

How would you describe Ben's feelings for Johnny?
    "I think Ben finds Johnny very attractive. He likes Johnny and he is a nice lad as well. I think Ben in some ways is envious of Johnny's relationship with his dad. Mick is a loving father who will accept anyone no matter who they are. I think Ben is quite envious of what they've got together. He wants to be honest about his sexuality and tell everyone he is gay, but he can't because of the family he is in."

Johnny got a warm reaction from Mick when he revealed his sexuality, but Phil's response to Ben was very different...
    "Exactly, we all remember the scene where Ben came out to Phil and Phil could do nothing but get up, cry and walk off, whereas Mick sat there and said 'I am here for you son' and all Johnny's family backed him up. Linda took a little bit longer, but she eventually accepted him for what he is."

Ben does try to kiss Johnny, doesn't he?
    "There is a bit of that. Johnny knows the trouble that comes with getting involved with Ben Mitchell. He likes Ben I believe, and he fancies him a little bit, but he knows Ben is confused and gives a lot of mixed signals. When they are alone together, Ben gives it as though he fancies him, but as soon as someone comes around the corner, he is backing away, like he has done throughout his whole life.

"You may remember in the past with Ben and Duncan, when Patrick spotted them, Ben was pushing him off. He is very much in the closet and wanting to keep his sexuality under wraps."

Ben tries to kiss Johnny
    © BBC
    Ben tries to kiss Johnny

We'll also see Lee get aggressive with Ben out of loyalty towards Johnny…
    "Yes, there is a bit of a scuffle after Lee hears Ben calling Johnny some offensive names, which isn't nice. Lee is very much a family man. The Carters are very strong and he doesn't want Ben Mitchell getting anywhere near him, but again this is all about Ben protecting his image and he wouldn't want Lee to know that him and Johnny are getting involved as then the Carters will know and everyone else will know too."

Do you think you could get feedback from young guys who are struggling to come out themselves?
    "I hope so. It is a very difficult subject as these sorts of things are sensitive, so it would be nice for people to see that there are people you can talk to. I think it's good that they have incorporated this into the script as it's something that needs to be covered."

How would you describe Ben's relationship with Phil at the moment?
    "It is important that Ben never falls out with him again. Father/son relationships can be strong or weak, but Ben's dad has been there for him a lot and he knows he needs him there. They have had ups and downs, as in the past Ben has got him in trouble and been spying on him and stalking him. That was because he wanted to prove something to his dad. I think he's proved that he's a Mitchell now. He's killed someone, that is as much proof as you need really!

"I think it is very important for Ben that they stay strong and it is important that Phil has his boy back."

What do you think of the possibility that Ben could have killed Lucy?
    "We know Ben was out of prison at that time. He revealed to his dad that he was robbing shops with Jay, but where he went afterwards or what happened at that point we still don't know.

"Ben has killed someone already, so he certainly is capable of it. The last one was not an accident, but it was a bit of rage, a moment where he was under pressure and reacted badly. I think he is capable of it and I also think he is very capable of hiding it. Ben knows what it is like inside and he doesn't want to go there again, so he is capable of doing it and hiding it."

Ben comforts Abi
    © BBC
    Ben could still be hiding secrets

Would you like it to be him?
    "Well, if it is him I hope he won't get caught because I will be out of a job! I want him to be involved because I think it would make an interesting twist, bearing in mind he was Lucy's uncle. I don't think he did kill her, as I don't think he'd be that stupid to come out and kill someone straight away, bearing in mind he'd only been out for a couple of months. I want him to be involved, but I really can't see him being the killer."

How do you feel about the 'live week' being planned for EastEnders' 30th anniversary in February?
    "I am nervous, I've got to say! I signed the contract at the wrong time, didn't I? (Laughs.) It will be good and it is a new experience. I have never done it before - obviously I have done lots of theatre work myself, but it is a whole different ball game as it's multi-camera and you can't move much. I have seen the YouTube video of the top 10 mistakes in a live ep and I am thinking, 'I don't want to become one of them!' I am looking forward to it, as it's great to stick on your CV that you have done that."

Has your world changed since joining the show?
    "Massively! I can't go to the local pub on a hangover and have a carvery any more. I can't hide in the corner like I used to! It has picked up over the last few weeks. I get the train as well - everyone says, 'Why are you on a train?' and I say, 'Why not? We don't get Ferraris when we come to EastEnders'. So it has changed but I haven't had any bad stuff happen."

Do you feel settled on the show now?
    "Yeah, I do, I've got grey hairs already! (Laughs.) It's nice - it's a great place to be and a good working environment. Everyone is switched on, the scripts keep coming out and there is more and more exciting stuff. It's good training as well - it's my first big job and this is the perfect place to learn your craft. It's exciting times!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (13-11-2014)

EastEnders kicks off a new storyline for Ben Mitchell next week as Les and Pam Coker's grandson Paul joins the Square, becoming a new love interest for the troubled teenager.

Paul's arrival coincides with a difficult time for Ben's relationship with Abi Branning, as she is keen to spice up their romance by seducing him at The Arches.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Harry Reid, who plays Ben, for an exclusive chat about next week's episodes and his time with the BBC soap so far.

After nearly a year filming at EastEnders, do you feel like you've settled in now?
    "I do actually! Someone actually asked me the other day, 'Oh Harry, you've been here a couple of years now, haven't you?' I said, 'No, it's only been about eight months!' So it already seems like everyone else feels like I've been here for ages!

"After a few months you do feel settled in here. It's that overused saying that 'it's like a big family', but it is! I feel well at home."

Ben becomes more prominent on screen again in the next few weeks, so is it nice to be busy at work again?
    "Very! Obviously the last big thing Ben had was the story with Max and The Arches, which was really exciting. We also had the Lucy Beale story around that time too. It's nice now to start getting into some meaty stuff and exploring a little bit of Ben's complicated mind!"

What kind of dynamic can we expect between Ben and Paul Coker?
    "Obviously we know that Ben's gay - he's trying to hide it again at the moment, but he originally came out as a gay man a few years ago. We also know that Paul is a gay character who's a bit more open than Ben, and his family have helped with that.

"What will be interesting for Ben - quite like what would have happened with Johnny Carter - is that Paul is an outlet for his true feelings. He can express what he really feels with Paul, rather than with Abi. I think it'll be interesting to see how Ben copes with having someone around who he really likes."

Are Ben and Paul a good match, or is Ben just happy to have attention from someone?
    "Well I think there's not really many choices for Ben - Paul's the only other gay guy on the Square! (Laughs) I think in terms of a match, they could be quite good. You'll come to see that Paul is much softer than Ben.

"I always said that I thought Ben's ideal bloke would be someone who won't overpower him. He's also got to trust this person not to reveal his secret. Although people know he's gay, it's something he's very secretive about."

Does Ben feel guilty about stringing Abi along?
    "Massively. They've been friends for a long time and I think he does love Abi for who she is, but there's no lust involved. When it comes to a male, there's an element of lust within Ben that he fails to create when he's with Abi."

How awkward is it for Ben when Abi tries to seduce him at The Arches next week?
    "It is awkward, but Ben has had sex with a woman before, hence the baby! (Laughs.) We have to remember that it's not that he's never slept with a woman, so that kind of awkwardness is gone.

"Ben knows that he has to do it to protect his relationship, otherwise Abi's going to get a little bit suspicious. But I don't feel it's a massive step for him because he's done it before - that step was with Lola a few years back."

Is Ben worried when Jay gets suspicious and threatens to tell Abi the truth?
    "Obviously they're all part of a friendship group and they're all loyal to each other after years and years of friendship. I think Jay cares about Ben, but he also cares about Abi. Ultimately though, Ben is his brother. Ben will always listen to what Jay has to say, but I think he will hopefully take it more as advice than as a threat."

Have you enjoyed working with newcomer Jonny Labey, who's playing Paul?
    "He's been fantastic. He's very professional and he's settled in very quickly, to be honest. I met him on his audition day and he was a lovely lad, then when he started on the show he was still very humble. He's a brilliant professional."

How would you say the fans are responding to Ben?
    "It's interesting to think about the public's reaction because I personally don't like Ben. I think he can be a bit of an idiot, but he's great to play! I've not had any agg, which has been nice. When you've got Phil Mitchell as your dad, I think people run! (Laughs.)

"I've never asked the public to like Ben, because I don't like him myself. I think it'll take a few years and for Ben to do a few more loyal things for me to like him. But I think what's important, and what's slowly becoming the case, is that the public are starting to understand Ben - and that's all I ask.

"Hopefully I'll get that across, because he's a mixed-up little boy. Obviously he's 18 and he's an adult, but if you look across the history of his whole life, it's been horrible for him and that would have an effect on anyone. I like that the viewers are starting to understand exactly what he's about and why he is the way he is."

What was your reaction to the recent return of your on-screen mum Kathy Beale?
    "I didn't know about it! I was sat in the restaurant at work watching the anniversary episode and that's when I found out. There was a scene which preceded that with me in The Vic, but when I was filming that, I had no idea of what was coming up next.

"For me it was unbelievable to see Kathy's return scene and I wanted to go and hug Dom! (Laughs.) It's really, really exciting, just because of what it will do for the show. Dom's said that it's going to be one of the most earth-shattering stories the show has seen, and I think it will be.

"Kathy has so much history on the show and it's nice for the people who watched years ago when she was in it, because it's a little bit of relation to when EastEnders first started. I hope the viewing figures will be big for the selection of episodes when Kathy sees Ian and Ben again - hopefully there'll be a big reaction."

Have you had a chance to introduce yourself to Gillian Taylforth?
    "I have, yeah, and she's absolutely perfect as an on-screen mum. She's just a normal down-to-earth woman and she's so loving. As soon as I met Gillian, I got the feeling of a loving person, so when it comes to what's on-screen, I feel that it will become natural to be able to love her like a mum."

Looking back, are you glad that Ben wasn't Lucy Beale's killer?
    "I am very glad. I wanted to be involved but it would have made the public's hate for Ben even stronger if he was the killer - it would have been two women that he'd killed, so there would have been a bit of a repetition there. I was very, very glad with how it turned out, but I was so happy to be involved in the story as it was."

Being a Mitchell, have you been able to learn a lot from the established cast?
    "Definitely. Obviously when I first came here I was working closely with Linda Henry and she was absolutely fantastic. With Linda, Steve McFadden, Letitia Dean, Jamie Borthwick, Perry Fenwick and Lorna Fitzgerald, I'm completely surrounded by actors who have been in this show and experienced it. They've been up, down, their stories have been big and small - and they've dealt with every angle or obstacle that you can encounter here.

"Working with Steve is brilliant. You also feel like it's a different atmosphere when you work with him, just because there's a level of quality to his work which you have to admire.

"I'm so glad he's on the longlist for TV Choice Awards coming up. He's a gem to the show, he really is. Obviously I'm not putting the others down as they're all fantastic, but to be working with Steve McFadden I couldn't have struck more lucky. I only came out of uni a year ago, so I'm laughing!"

Are you hoping to stick around as Ben for a long stint?
    "I am - I really want to. I'm Ben the fifth and I'd like for there to be no more, to be honest. I want to take the character on as my own. I think Ben is so exciting with all of his problems - being half-Beale, half-Mitchell, being gay but having a girlfriend, as well as being a murderer.

"There's so many layers to this bloke and I want to explore all these layers. I'm hoping to be here for a long, long time."

EastEnders star Harry Reid has teased Ben Mitchell's reaction to the news that his mother Kathy Beale is alive.

Kathy (Gillian Taylforth) briefly reappeared on screen in EastEnders' 30th anniversary week in February, shocking viewers who had believed she was dead following an off-screen car crash in 2006.

Her sons Ben and Ian currently have no idea that Kathy is actually alive and Reid has revealed that his character could react very angrily to the news.

Speaking to All About Soap, he said: "I think it is more anger he will be feeling because of the lies and deceit that have gone on.

"Ben wouldn't have been the person he was today if his mum hadn't died. Remember what he was like when he was a little boy? He didn't say boo to a goose.

"But his mum died and then he spent a few more years with Phil Mitchell. He gave that geezer a slapping down, then out, then in the nick again - it's all because Kathy died. So there is going to be a lot of anger."

Reid also said that he thinks that Ben and Ian's reactions to Kathy's reappearance will differ drastically.

He added : "I think there will be a real difference in Ian and Ben's approach to Kathy. Ian is soft, you know? I think as much as Ian will hate it and be so upset by Kathy's lies, she will explain and he will forgive her.

"Ian wasn't so young when Kathy 'died'. He's older and of course as we've seen, he has hidden a few secrets himself in his time. I think there will be more acceptance from Ian. But with Ben, I am not so sure. I can see it really hurting him actually."

Speaking about how he has been preparing for the hugely dramatic scenes, Reid said: "I have been thinking about it a lot and as weird as it sounds, I have actually been talking to my own mum about it - about how Ben would feel - which has been pretty helpful.

"I have been trying to work out how it would be if your mum had been dead for 10 years and you then suddenly see her walk in the door."

EastEnders will air Kathy's return later in the summer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-07-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    EastEnders star Harry Reid has teased Ben Mitchell's reaction to the news that his mother Kathy Beale is alive.
    Harry's obviously given Kathy's reappearance a lot of thought - which is a good sign.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (15-07-2015)

EastEnders teen Ben Mitchell could be in a whole lot of trouble after being wrongly arrested for the murder of Lucy Beale.

Friday's dramatic episode of the Walford soap (July 17) saw Ben hauled in for questioning by the Mitchell family's old enemy DCI Marsden, who has taken over the Lucy investigation.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Harry Reid, who plays Ben, for a chat about the surprise twist and what it means for his troubled character.

How did you feel about getting this big storyline?
    "I was really pleased. It came as a big shock to me, but I was really happy to be involved in something so exciting. It's obviously going to raise a lot of emotions, so it's a chance for me get into Ben a little bit more and see what's going on in his head."

Did the writers tell you about Ben's arrest a long time before you filmed it?
    "I found out that he was getting nicked when I read the script! I literally opened the pack of scripts up and read it then. It took me by surprise, but I was glad about that in some ways. For me as an actor, I don't really like to know too much - only because then you start thinking about stuff that you shouldn't know is going to happen.

"Ben obviously didn't know this was coming up, so I just stored it away in my cupboard after I'd read it. Then when it came to the week before we filmed it, I had my head buried in the script and then cracked on from there."

People had speculated for ages that Max would be getting arrested this week. Do you think this Ben twist will have surprised a lot of people?
    "Massively! It's been all over the magazines that it'll be Max. I've even been at home and my mum has been saying, 'It's got to be Max who's getting nicked, hasn't it?' I've just said, 'Yeah probably, you'd think so wouldn't you?' (Laughs.) I enjoyed that, but I told my mum to make sure she tuned into the last two episodes of the week!

"I think everyone had forgotten about Ben, which really surprises me. I've been reading all of the articles around this and it hasn't even been mentioned that it could be him. Even the public have been saying that it's 'obviously Max', so I think it's been really cleverly done here. Jake [Wood, who plays Max] has said that he'll be leaving for a little while, so that made everyone think that it must be Max."

Ben runs
    © BBC
    Ben is chased by the police

Was it fun to film the scene where you were chased all round the set?!
    "Yeah - I really, really enjoyed it. I was knackered by the end of it - I'm not a fit person I must say! But I really enjoyed it - that scene opened up the set more for me and hopefully for the audience it does the same. It gives them angles of Albert Square and little alleys that they haven't seen for a while. I was certainly quite fresh to some of the places we went into for that scene.

"As much as I enjoyed it because of the content of the scene, I also enjoyed it because there was so much professionalism on set and everyone was really up for it. All of the extras and the coppers were all on the ball and everyone wanted to make it look good. It's an exciting little scene and the director Dominic Keavey was brilliant. It was a great little block and I hope that shows on screen."

How will Ben cope when he faces police questioning next week?
    "All I can say is let's remember that he's a 19-year-old boy. As much as he's a Mitchell and he's got his tough side, he's also a Beale and he's got his emotional side.

"I'd say just look out for how he handles pressure-filled situations, especially involving the Old Bill and prison sentences. He's been there before, so is he scared about going back to prison or actually is he not bothered because he knows how to handle it? You'll have to wait and see with that one."

DCI Marsden is an EastEnders legend in her own right, so have you enjoyed filming with Sophie Stanton who plays her?
    "That was the other little shock! When I was reading the script and saw Marsden's name pop up, I was thinking, 'Hold on a minute!' Sophie is absolutely brilliant and I've loved working with her. She is a legend on this show. I hadn't ever met her since I'd been here, but she's someone that I used to watch as a viewer. I used to get angry watching her and think she was a miserable copper! (Laughs.)

"But she's great at the role - her and Alison Newman who plays DI Keeble are just fantastic together. They're a bit of a dream team. I can tell you that going up against those two powerful women is a bit scary!"

A shock arrest is made on the Square
    © BBC
    DCI Marsden has Ben in her sights

Will this storyline allow us to find out more about what Ben was doing on the night that Lucy was killed?
    "Yeah, it does. The flashback episode doesn't lie, but there are also little time lapses where we don't know where he was. But it's more about getting an honest answer out of Ben. When he went to Ian's after Lucy's phone and purse were dug up and he explained himself, there was something still not adding up and he still wasn't telling Ian everything.

"This is Ben's chance to actually come clean and tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so we'll see ultimately how he does that."

Do you think the viewers will feel sorry for Ben?
    "I'd like to think so but they probably won't, will they?! I think in some ways they might, as people know that he didn't do it and they might think that it's a bit unfair. It would be nice for people to feel for him because it's another bad thing that's happened in Ben's life.

"In Ben's mind he's thinking, 'Yeah I did it once but you can't just keep coming back to me!' That's what's going through his mind, and his mind's messed up as it is. I think it'll be interesting to watch."

A shock arrest is made on the Square
    © BBC
    Can Ben prove his innocence?

On a separate note, have you enjoyed the reaction to the Ben and Paul storyline so far?
    "I am! We're on the longlist for the Best Affair prize at the Inside Soap Awards. I was really happy with that and thought it was quite cool!

"I've also really enjoyed Jonny's performances since he's been on the show. I think he's created a really nice, rounded character there in Paul. I think the audience won't really accept Ben and Paul's relationship until it's out there. Some might, but I think the majority won't.

"I think people would rather see Ben come out and be happy and be gay, rather than having this relationship in secret where he can't express himself. I think the viewers are liking it, but they're ultimately waiting for the moment where Ben plucks up the courage to be himself. Paul's got that already and Ben needs to get some of that from him."

Finally, we have to ask - have you filmed your first scene with your on-screen mum Gillian Taylforth (Kathy) yet?
    "I haven't had a scene with her yet but I absolutely can't wait for when I do!"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (18-07-2015), maidmarian (18-07-2015)

Harry Reid thinks the soap should push more boundaries with its storylines - and wants to see his character Ben Mitchell pursue Dean Wicks.

Ben is currently enjoying a secret fling with Paul Coker, despite trying to convince his family that he is straight with his ongoing relationship with Abi Branning.

An implied sex scene in a funeral parlour involving Paul and Ben recently garnered 48 Ofcom complaints, which are now being assessed.

Discussing his hopes for more controversy in future storylines, Reid told the Daily Star: "Do you know what I'd love to see? I'd love it if Ben went after an older straight guy and tried to turn him.

"Someone like Dean would be a good one to target. It would be an amazing storyline."

Reid also admitted that he has had some "great feedback" from the gay community for his role as Ben and added that he feels sad gay actors are refusing to come out in Hollywood for fear of missing out on leading roles.

He said: "I'm a straight guy playing a gay role. There is no reason why it can't work the other way around.

"It's all down to acting. It's rubbish if people in Hollywood won't give openly gay actors a chance."

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Harry Reid thinks the soap should push more boundaries with its storylines - and wants to see his character Ben Mitchell pursue Dean Wicks.
    It seems the whole EE team have forgotten that Dean's a rapist and just think of him as an ordinary male character...

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    An implied sex scene in a funeral parlour involving Paul and Ben recently garnered 48 Ofcom complaints, which are now being assessed.
    That scene's now been cleared by Ofcom.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 18-08-2015 at 03:09.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (18-08-2015), parkerman (18-08-2015), tammyy2j (18-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    It seems the whole EE team have forgotten that Dean's a rapist and just think of him as an ordinary male character...

That scene's now been cleared by Ofcom.
    Ben to pursue Dean??? Since when does Ben care about what Dean does?

And what's Ofcom's beef? Considering the amount of stuff on tv nowadays, I thought the sex scene was pretty tame. Or are they complaining just because it involved 2 blokes???

Thread Information