Thread: Leona 'planning to adopt a baby'

Leona 'planning to adopt a baby'

Leona Lewis has revealed that she wants to adopt when she starts a family.

The X Factor winner recently visited African orphanages and said she was so affected by the experience that she wanted to "take home all the kids".

According to WENN, Lewis said: "I definitely plan to adopt. My mum was a social worker and my dad was a youth offender officer, so I know that there are a lot of kids out there that need to be fostered and adopted.

"When I was in Africa I wanted to take home all the kids. They were so cute. All of them had been orphaned because of HIV and it was heart-rending. There are so many who need help - you just don't know where to start."

Lewis, who won The X Factor two years ago, recently confirmed she will not perform a full live tour until 2010 in order to focus on recording the follow-up to her worldwide number one album Spirit.

You know what I think anyone that does this great and im glad they do it, what I hate about it as often in the media its coming across as a trend like some kind of fashion item

I really admire her for this but I know what your saying Abbie
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_2k11 For This Useful Post:

Abbie (03-11-2008)

she is too young to understand what she wants in life
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

Quote Originally Posted by sindydoll View Post
    no offence sindy but i find that comment a little patronising. shes 23 not 13.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris_2k11 For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (06-11-2008), Kim (06-11-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sindydoll View Post
    no offence sindy but i find that comment a little patronising. shes 23 not 13.
    thought she was 18
    westlife @ echo 18th march 2011 block 17
    westlife @ men 22nd march 2011 block C

I can understand that Leona is affected by vunreable children, but why can't she adopt children in the UK there are loads of children living in poverty in this country that need a secure and stable upbringing. Celebrities don't have to go abroad to do it.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I agree with Kath. Honestly, it seems to be a fashion for celebs to go abroad, see children in poverty and then end up almost 'buying' them from their families. E.g. Madonna - 'bought' a child who was still in contact with his grandmother and father although his mother had died he was most definitely not an orphan...

There are loads and loads and loads of neglected children in care in this country. Noone is interested in 'damaged' children, poor children, children who act a carers for ill or addicted parents.

You do not have to adopt to care for children. Leona would do better to train to be on a children's panel in the UK. To volunteer her time to 'buddy' a child in care who will effectively be abandoned to their own devices when they turn 16. Even visiting schools and enthusing kids is a wonderful use of time.

Volunteer work in child hospices - free concerts in deprived area schools or hospitals.

Removing a child from their own culture is not necessarily the best thing for the child (although, obviously in some cases it is). Removing one child from a poor situation does not help the numerous other ones left behind. What about voluntary services overseas? Something that help a community to help itself?

There is no need to go abroad to see poverty and to want to help innocent victims off it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

pookie1968uk (15-11-2008)

Thread Information