Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 90210

Everything's being revived these days. In the last few years we've seen Doctor Who and Survivors stage successful comebacks - not to mention the (sadly, short-lived) return of Dale Winton's Supermarket Sweep in 2007 - and soon we can add Day of The Triffids to that list, too. Next up is 90210, a fresh take on the iconic '90s teen drama Beverly Hills, 90210. We speak to Ryan Eggold, who plays West Beverly High's cool young English teacher, to find out more.

In your words, what is 90210?
    "It's hard to say what it is. People call it a remake, or a spinoff - I don't know what the heck it is! We take the premise from the original show, which is this family moving from the Midwest to Beverly Hills and then being lost in a new world. The basics are all there, and then we add a lot of new storylines, characters and things like that."

Does it reference the old show much?
    "It does, yeah. We have Jennie Garth and Shannen Doherty return as their characters from the original, so that brings a lot of the original show with it. We play on a lot of similar themes, character dynamics and relationships as the original. And yes, there are references to old characters and storylines."

Did you watch the original show?
    "Not much, I was watching Saved By The Bell instead! I remember seeing it on from time to time - it was such a massive show - but it was too mature for me when I was watching it. I was 6 in 1990, so it didn't really appeal to me then."

You play Mr. Matthews, the English teacher at the school. What's he like?
    "He doesn't act the way a teacher should. He's much more fun-spirited and he doesn't really care about the rules so much. He's ruled by the kids a little bit and less in control of their actions. He's often a jerk, but beneath that he has a good heart and really wants to help these kids."

Is it fair to say he is the comedic element of show?
    "Yeah, he definitely has a lot of humour because he's outspoken and a bit of an outsider in this Beverly Hills world. He calls it as he sees it. While everyone else is playing the Beverly Hills game, he's like 'what the hell are you talking about?'"

How do you think the British audience will take to 90210?
    "Gosh, I don't know. I think it's going to do well because it's about Beverly Hills, which is something fun to the UK. Just like a show about London would do well here, because it's not something we have. But it could go the other way, they could be like 'who cares about Beverly Hills?'"

Recently there's been talk of a Melrose Place revival. What are your thoughts on that?
    "I have two thoughts. My first is that it's extremely depressing that there's no original content to be made. Hollywood seems to be out of ideas and just taking old things that have worked and redoing them. I know there's writers out there with new material, so it just seems lazy to take old shows that have worked and do them again. But then again it's a business, so I get it from that standpoint. You know, any remake is a new show - because every cop show has the same premise, and every teen drama has the same sort of premise. So I have mixed feelings about Melrose."

That said then, which other shows do you think could be revived? Saved By The Bell, maybe?
    "If they did Saved By The Bell again, I would be very excited. But then again, as a true fan of the original, I would be very skeptical. I'd be very wary of a remake doing something I had loved. I don't think it could ever be the original."

i enjoyed the second episode, getting a more in depth knowledge about the characters.

just a question though i didnt watch the original BH who is kelly's son dad? do the people who watched the original beverly hills know this or is this something that is still to come out in the show since the name has never been mentioned?
    Maisie Mouse

Yeah I like it its starting to grow on me now

so dixon obviously came from an alcoholic background. i can see a bond forming between him and silver. And im soo wanting ethan and annie to get together
    Maisie Mouse

Yeah me too! its sooo gonna happen though

Kelly and Brenda have returned and Donna is returning.

Rumours are also suggesting a return for Luke Perry aka Dylan McKay

Spoiler:
    well he is Kelly's son dad so his return would be beliveable

im just catching up eith the latest episode of 90210 tonight, I didnt watch BH90210 but just a guess there is a history between brenda and dylan. oh wish i knew more
    Maisie Mouse

Thats what im like, at times I find it hard to follow

i've not seen any of this, not my cup of tea, but the main girl is in Nip Tuck as Eden haha!

im enjoying it, and it is about the younger ones kelly and brenda are just a small part of it, and the details they do give you make it easy to put 2 and 2 together
    Last edited by *-Rooney-*; 01-03-2009 at 19:19.
    Maisie Mouse

Thread Information