Thread: Time is right for black Dr Who

Time is right for black Dr Who

BBC bosses are in talks to sign actor Colin Salmon to be the first black Doctor Who.

They want the James Bond star to take over when David Tennant, 37, leaves in 2009.

Colin, 45, appeared as character Dr Moon this year — but is best known as M’s assistant in three 007 films. He was tipped to land the Bond role before it went to Daniel Craig.

A BBC source said: “He made a good impression when he appeared and bosses think the time is right to have the first black Doctor.”

Another possibility who has previously appeared. He was in it quite recently too, so I'm not sure whether it would work very well. I wasn't sure about the Tom Ellis suggestion but at least he was in the series before Colin Salmon was.

If they want to have someone from the past then I think it would be best if they weren't in it so recently, so people are more likely not to recognise them if they don't read the articles when the new Doctor is being decided. I read somewhere that they were also considering the man who played Roderick in Series 1 for the first black Doctor. That might work better too if some people haven't seen that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Another possibility who has previously appeared. He was in it quite recently too, so I'm not sure whether it would work very well. I wasn't sure about the Tom Ellis suggestion but at least he was in the series before Colin Salmon was.

If they want to have someone from the past then I think it would be best if they weren't in it so recently, so people are more likely not to recognise them if they don't read the articles when the new Doctor is being decided. I read somewhere that they were also considering the man who played Roderick in Series 1 for the first black Doctor. That might work better too if some people haven't seen that series.
    To be fair though, Freema Agyeman was in the Series 2 finale, and then was companion in Series 3. Can't get much less of a gap than that!

Fair point. Adeola wasn't that significant at all though; I don't think I would've noticed if Martha hadn't talked about her. Dr Moon was a bit more a part of it, since his patient was controlling the library.

Thread Information