Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thin Air

INT. WIGHTS HOUSE - DAY

Middle aged parent, Simon is in the living room. Simon is avidly watching Bargain Hunt when his wife, Tasha walks in.

Tasha: When are you going into work today?

Simon: I'm not... I called in sick..

Tasha: Why did you do that!?

Simon: A day off every now and again doesn't do any harm .. I just woke up this morning and thought to hell with work... I'll make a nice cup of tea, have a packet of digestives and dunk each one in my tea, take a bite and watching some wonderful daytime telly...

Tasha: I thought the bank was relying on you Simon! I thought you wanted to make a good impression.. you said about getting yourself a promotion?

Simon: Call me a cynic if you want but I don't have that promotion! That Jezza bloke has it in the bag..

Tasha: Your such a cynic Simon! ... but as a matter of fact, I'm glad you've decided to stay at home today..

Simon: Oh yeah?

Tasha: We need to talk about Isabelle..

Simon: Oh god, whats she done now!?

Tasha: She's done nothing! I wanted us to talk about her 18th birthday, I want to make it special..

Simon: What's so special about 18? .. I remember when I turned 18.. I just had a few beers with friends..

Tasha: Don't you want to make our daughter feel special?!

Simon: Of course! I just don't see the big hoo haa about it that's all.. 17 turning 18... it's all just numbers isn't it really..

Tasha: Well it's nice to know I have your full support in this love!

Simon: Let's see what Isabelle wants to do first eh? I can imagine her not wanting to kick up too much of a fuss about it.. so before we get too carried away on plans, lets see what she wants..

Tasha: But I wanted to make a surprise for her! Organise a surprise party for her somewhere or something..

Simon: Why do you want to make such a big deal about it!?

Tasha: Because our daughter is going to be 18, officially an adult!

Simon: It's more than that though isn't it?

Tasha: Well you can't deny that we haven't been paying much attention to her lately.. what with all the problems with her sister and everything..

Simon: True.. but I'm sure she's glad of the independence..

Tasha: But you know we haven't been the perfect parents to her..

Simon: What do you mean!?

Tasha: (slightly angry) You know what I mean!

Simon looks baffled. Tasha looks at her husband and leaves the room.

INT. GREAVES HOUSE - DAY

Victoria is in the dining room, talking with her younger brother and sister. There is suddenly a crash in the kitchen. Victoria rushes in and sees dad Mick slumped against the back door, with his new girlfriend Michelle, slightly tipsy, trying to help him up.

Michelle: (giggling) Get up ya silly man! Get up!

Victoria: And look what the cat dragged in! ... the slut and the drunk that probably can't tell he's being an absolute ****.. you know! I've been with them all afternoon, (points to kids) I picked them up from school.. I've looked after them.. and where were you for the 5th day running eh!? Down the pub, probably getting your dick into this tart's dirty knickers!

Michelle: You cow!

Victoria: Moo bloody moo..

Michelle: Your dad's finding it tough.. he's told me all about it.. getting out of prison and everything...

Victoria: That's no excuse! These kids and me! We couldn't wait for him to get out, for us to be a proper family unit again but he's gone and ballsed it all up.. getting drunk every night of the week, picking up a list of endless girls, with you being the latest in a long line!

Michelle: I'm gonna take Mick upstairs.. help him sober up..

Victoria: Bet you'll do more than that!

Michelle: You've got me all wrong Vic, you got me all wrong..

Michelle grabs Mick and supports him, as they move out of the kitchen and head upstairs.

INT. GRIDDLE FAMILY MANSION - EVENING

Natalie and Paul are standing in the kitchen, with their daughters Laura and Libby sitting down at the table looking at the newspaper article about Libby.

Libby: Well I didn't think they would care what I got up to in my free time!

Laura: Well clearly they do care sis.. so take it easy yeah?

Libby: Take it easy!? I'm only having a good time for christ sake.. its the papers sad problem if they have to report on everything I do!

Laura: Your sad for trying to get the attention of the press every 2 minutes! I swear being in the spotlight has gone straight to your head! The first few days after our lottery win, we were on the front pages and you loved it...

Libby: I did... didn't you!? We were the most talked about family in the country!

Laura: Personally, I hated it... the press swarming all over us.. making us famous to almost everyone! Where was our privacy?

Libby: You didn't like being splashed on the front pages?! It's like every girl's dream!

Laura: The truth is Lib.. once the papers lost interest in us, you couldn't handle it could you eh? because you loved being in the spotlight so much.. which is why you then decided to do anything and flaunt yourself as much as possible to get yourself back in the spotlight again! You couldn't face being no longer talked about!... well nice one sis, because you have now humiliated our entire family because of your stupid antics that has been printed in today's paper!

Libby: Sod you Laura! I was only having a good time.. enjoying the money we won... I wasn't going all out to get attention... I was going all out because we can flash the cash!

Paul: This is what me and your mum have been discussing... maybe we should hold back a bit eh?

Libby: What do you mean?

Natalie: We've made ourselves a bit obvious really haven't we!? We haven't been very subtle about our win on the lottery, in fact, we've been showing off how much we have because of our ridiculous spending and endless articles and pictures of us in newspapers... it has to stop!

Paul: We need to go steady on how much we're spending, we can't get too carried away .. we can't make it obvious to everyone how much we actually can afford, as some people don't even have enough money to buy the basic essentials!

Libby: But we are lucky! Shouldn't we celebrate our luck!? .. shouldn't we make the most of the cash we got? ... what are you saying? .. give all our money to charity? Put it in our pissin' bank accounts!?

Laura: Well that's a sensible idea!

Libby: It's a boring idea! Sod the lot of ya.. I'll spend my share of the lottery money however I wish and none of you can stop me!

Libby storms out of the kitchen, in a confident manner. Natalie, Paul and Laura are left feeling angry.

INT. GREAVES HOUSE - EVENING

Victoria is in the kitchen, making herself a cup of tea. Michelle and Mick enter the room. Mick sits down and holds his head in his hands.

Victoria: All that drinking coming back to haunt you is it?

Mick: I'm alright.. just need a couple of paracetemol.. can you pass me 2 love and get me a drink of water to go with it?

Victoria: Can't your latest girlfriend do that for you?

Mick: Oh Vic.. don't be like this..

Victoria: Don't be like what!? .. why on earth dad are you tryin' to live the life of a celebrity!? Going out getting drunk, going to clubs and bars every night, picking endless girls up, not getting yourself a job... you've gotta pull yourself together!

Michelle: You have to appreciate that it's hard for your dad though, he's just got out of prison...

Victoria: Oh that old tired argument! That excuse don't wash with me, I'm afraid!

Mick: But it's hard Vic... I have tried looking for a job..believe me.. but I got turned down.. who wants an ex criminal working for them!?

Victoria: You shouldn't give up! Don't be a defeatist.. there are loads of jobs out there, someone is bound to employ you! You've just got to show yourself off, make an effort, persaude people that you have changed and your life as a criminal is all in the past.

Mick: But it's hard for me .. to just.. adjust..

Victoria: Don't give me that crap dad! Me and the kids are relying on you to get a job so bloody get a job alright?!

Victoria is about to leave with her cup of tea but turns to Michelle.

Victoria: Be a darling and get that paracetemol and water my dad wanted..

Victoria forces a smile at Michelle and leaves the kitchen.

INT. WIGHTS HOUSE - EVENING

Tasha is preparing dinner in the kitchen, whilst Simon is sat down reading the newspaper. Isabelle enters.

Isabelle: Hi

Tasha: Hey, what do you want? .. your never usually down here before tea... your usually cooped up in your bedroom, moaning and groaning if me or dad even dare make eye contact with you, let alone try and start a conversation with you!

Isabelle: Well... I was wondering...

Tasha: ..Wondering what?

There's a pause.

Simon: Oh come on... spit it out!

Isabelle: Well I am going to be 18 very very soon.. in a week to be precise! .. so I wondered if I could have a party?

Tasha: What a coincidence.. me and dad were discussing this earlier, we'd love to throw a party for you wouldn't we Sime? Your 18th needs to be marked with a good old party!

Isabelle: Well.. I don't know if you'll be happy with this bit.. but I was wondering if I could host the party here?

Simon: Here? In this house!?

Isabelle: Yeah...is it a problem?

Simon: Yes! A big problem...you must be out of your mind if you think we're gonna let you host a party in this house!

Isabelle: Oh please! I'll look after this house.. I would hate for it to get trashed...

Simon: Well there will be no risk of the house getting trashed as the answer if a party will be hosted here is no..

Isabelle: My friends will respect our property dad!

Simon: You can't persaude me Is.. so don't even try.

Tasha: Maybe we should let her have a party here love..

Simon: What!?

Tasha: Let's give her a chance.. it'll give Isabelle a bit of responsibility, to look after this house, make sure it stays in ship shape.. and it is her 18th, she should be entitled to have her party wherever she sees best!

Simon: Sod what we think then...

Tasha rolls her eyes.

Tasha: We'll be here to keep an eye on things too! Make sure things don't go too out of control.. I think we should give Is a chance with this!

Isabelle: I'll leave you two to think about it..

Isabelle awkwardly leaves the room.

Just read all of this and love it.
    Victoria for some reason is becoming my favourite character.
    x

Thank you for the amazing banner Lea
    Joe Mcelderry is gorgeous and amazing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tannie For This Useful Post:

DaVeyWaVey (17-10-2008)

INT. GRIDDLE FAMILY MANSION - NIGHT

Laura is in her bedroom, listening to some music on her CD player. There is a knock on her bedroom door.

Laura: Yeah.. come in..

The door opens and Libby walks in.

Laura: Oh...it's you..

Libby: Look Lau.. I just came to apologise for earlier.

Laura: Apologise?! That's a first!

Libby: Please... this is hard for me, don't make it any worse than it already is!

Laura: It's hard for you to apologise!?.. well it's hard for me Lib to see you get so bloody obsessed with the media and the money we own!

Libby: We're just going to have to disagree! I get it, you hate the media, your hating the way I'm "showing off" because of the dosh that we have!

Laura: The media is an evil place Lib! They use you for their own ends, they draw you in, then spit you back out!

Libby: I don't have to listen to this!

Laura: Mum and dad agree with me you know! ..they want you to tone down on the publicity your giving us.. so please, can you promise you will?

Libby: I don't need to promise you anything!

Libby storms out of the bedroom. Laura falls back on her bed, incredibly frustrated.

INT. GREAVES HOUSE - NIGHT

Victoria is walking into the bathroom, when her younger brother and sister, Brendan aged 12 and Chloe, 14 call their older sister into the bedroom.

Victoria: What is it you two?

Chloe: We want to know what's going on..

Victoria: How do you mean!?

Chloe: About dad! Me and Brendan..we're both getting worried about him!

Victoria: The last thing I want both of you to do is worry! You need to concentrate on school and your studies..

Brendan: We can't help but worry though can we!? He's our dad! Me and Chlo both thought that once he got out of prison, we'd be a big happy family...

Chloe: How naive we were!

Victoria: Leave it to me, I will sort him out..

Brendan: But how? What are you going to do?

Chloe: And who's his latest bit on the side!?

Victoria: Oh don't get me started on her! Just trust me ..I will sort everything out, make sure we're a big happy family unit again, ok?!

INT. GREAVES HOUSE - NIGHT

Victoria goes into the kitchen, where she sees her father, Mick making a cup of tea.

Victoria: We need to have a talk .. and don't pretend you don't know what about, because you know! You know what a **** dad your being!

Mick: Woah! Where on earth has this come from!?

Victoria: Your actions today! That's where it's come from! Your bringing about this confrontation between us all on yourself and your stupid behaviour! I've just been speaking to Brendan and Chlo upstairs and they are really worried about you!

Mick: Probably because your exaggerating my behaviour to them! I just have a few drinks, helps me cope with being back on the outside, is that such a bloody problem!? And I've got a lovely new woman in my life! What on earth could be better!? .. I thought you kids would be happy for me! Not the opposite!

Victoria: Me, Brendan and Chlo.. we were all so naive... we actually thought when you got out of prison, you'd start caring for us all, we'd start acting like a proper family again.. but it comes across to me that all you care about is the soddin' drink and your new bit on the side! .. let me ask you... have you actually spent any quality time with the kids yet? Have you!?

Mick: (intensely angry) Don't challenge me Vic! You have no idea! No idea how hard this is for me..

Victoria: Don't try and pull out the sympathy card again! I am getting sick and tired of it! You need to get some stability back in your life.. drinking and shagging endless girls won't help you do this!

Mick: What are you? A bloody counsellor!? Your my daughter! You should look up to me!

Victoria: Well I don't look up to you! Look at you! Your a state! You need to sort yourself out, get yourself a job...

Mick: You know I can't do that..

Victoria: There's something I need to tell you and it might make you change your mind...

Mick: What!?

Victoria nervously hesitates.

INT. WIGHTS HOUSE - NIGHT

Simon is in the living room watching television. His wife, Tasha enters the room, grabs the remote control and turns off the TV.

Simon: What are you doing!? I was watching that!

Tasha: We need to talk about Is..

Simon: Her party isn't happening and that's that!

Tasha: That isn't that! Come on Sime.. the 18th birthday is a milestone! I don't want to argue about this again like we did earlier..

Simon: Well your the one bringing it up again!

Tasha: I will bring it up until you agree!

Simon: Fine, alright! Yes! she can have her party! least it will stop you droning on like a broken record... now can I get back to watching the TV?!

Simon grabs the TV remote and turns the TV back on, ignoring his wife. Tasha leaves the room, a pleased smile on her face.

Thread Information