Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Law + Order UK

Its back 11 January 2010

Has this finished again and will it be back?

In next week's Radio Times, Laura Mackie, Director of Drama at ITV, confirms that there will be a new series of Law & Order: UK. She doesn't say when it'll be shown, though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (13-05-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    In next week's Radio Times, Laura Mackie, Director of Drama at ITV, confirms that there will be a new series of Law & Order: UK. She doesn't say when it'll be shown, though.
    It returns on Thursday 9th August at 9-00pm

Episode One: Broken

Following the success of the first two series of LAW & ORDER: UK, which achieved audiences nearing six million, the star studded cast is back with more diverse storylines taken from the original hit US series but all with a distinctly British perspective. Now the teams are back to solve more perplexing crimes and bring the perpetrators to justice.

BRADLEY WALSH (Torn, Coronation Street) is DS Ronnie Brooks, a real East End, copper’s copper, friend and partner to the charming DS Matt Devlin, JAMIE BAMBER (Battlestar Galactica, The Last Detective, Ultimate Force) whose approach to policing is part seduction part force. Both report to DI Natalie Chandler (HARRIET WALTER, Morris: A Life With Bells On, Broken Lines, Atonement) a working mum who would back them to the end.

While the CPS team comprises BEN DANIELS (The Passion, The State Within, Cutting It) as dedicated Senior Crown Prosecutor James Steel, a man on a mission for justice; FREEMA AGYEMAN (Dr Who, Torchwood, Little Dorrit) as hard working, strong-willed young prosecutor Alesha Phillips; and BILL PATERSON (Little Dorrit, Criminal Justice, Sea of Souls) as their respected boss CPS director George Castle, a man trying to balance his ideals with the bigger picture.

The new cases faced by the teams are even more compelling and shocking then those featured in previous series. They include: a toddler being led to his death, a 16 year old girl found dead in her home in the middle of the afternoon, a prison officer shot dead on a council estate, a mysterious killer using a bayonet to slay his victims, the stabbing of a student and the murder case of DS Matt Devlin’s best friend.

Guest stars across the new series include: Rupert Graves, Deborah Findlay, Kevin Doyle, Rocky Marshall, Patrick Malahide, Ruth Gemmell, Matthew Marsh, Celyn Jones, Wunmi Mosaku, and Robbie Gee.

The terrifying death of a toddler haunts the first episode of Law & Order: UK which deals with the difficult and morally complex issue of children who kill. As a society, we are very unforgiving of child killers but if the killers themselves are only children, it begs the question - who really is responsible for the crime? With two children in the frame, each blaming the other, can forensic evidence prove who is guilty of strangling little Conor to death?

In an emotionally gut wrenching episode, CPS director George Castle (Bill Paterson)defies his superiors and instead takes instruction from the victim’s mother who has a surprising point of view on the crime. But can the justice system, and ultimately the government, afford to be lenient?

This episode is produced by Richard Stokes, directed by Andy Goddard and written by Emilia di Girolamo. The executive producers are Andrew Woodhead, Stephen Garrett and Jane Featherstone. Dick Wolf is creator and executive producer of the series.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Abigail (25-08-2010), Dazzle (25-08-2010), tammyy2j (25-08-2010)

Its back the 9th of September 2010

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (25-08-2010)

In episode two when the body of a 16 year old girl is found dead in her home in the middle of the afternoon, the investigating police, DS Ronnie Brooks (Bradley Walsh) and DS Matt Devlin (Jamie Bamber), cannot be sure a crime was even committed. With no forensic evidence and nothing to suggest the victim didn’t die of natural causes, Matt and Ronnie question why they have been called out in the first place. However, the victim’s mother believes she was raped because she never slept naked. On further investigation, an unlikely murder weapon is uncovered and a likely suspect - someone with whom Crown Prosecutor James Steel (Ben Daniels) has a history.

Determined the accused man Paul Darnelle (Kevin Doyle) is guilty, James pursues him with every power available. Like a man possessed, he pushes the boundaries of the law to the legal limit. Is our hero persecuting an innocent man or justified in his convictions?

Says Ben Daniels of his character James Steel: " In episode two, he hounds a man with a tenacity that is not healthy. I loved this episode and it was my favourite in this series. I really felt I got my teeth into it.

“James is much more aggressive in this series which I really like, and to bring about justice he doesn't always stay entirely within the law. Or rather he massages the law to attempt to bring about a conclusion. I think it's a nice development.”

Even after three series Ben is still committed to researching his role as Senior Crown Prosecutor.

“Any legal issue I don't understand, I will look into it. Freema, who playes James' colleague Alesha Phillips, and I are very hot on this. We make sure we know exactly where we are and what is going on. We have to. We are both very thorough. I love working with Freema. You could not ask for more as she is such a hard worker.”

Does filming such gritty storylines take it out of Ben emotionally?

“Sometimes, but that is down to the research you carry out rather than the actual episodes themselves. You will read about real murders and real court cases and they can stick in your memory. There was one story I read about involving a guy who was killed in the woods. It was all filmed on a mobile, and then offloaded the video on to the internet. The story stayed with me for weeks after I had read about it. I was very keen to see whether the guys were brought to justice and what sentence they got. I became obsessed and that was partly due to the fact I was working on Law & Order:UK and wanted to know the outcome!”

Series Returns to ITV 7th March 9-pm

Episode one: Help:

In the new six-part series of LAW&ORDER:UK the critically acclaimed cast; Bradley Walsh, Jamie Bamber, Harriet Walter, Ben Daniels, Freema Agyeman and Bill Paterson tackle more emotionally gripping, unmissable stories.

Series four sees DS Ronnie Brooks (Bradley Walsh) and DS Matt Devlin (Jamie Bamber) investigating the death of an ex-Premier League Footballer and the witness intimidation which follows; the murder of a junior doctor which unravels into a conspiracy involving senior level government officials and the attempted murder of a high court judge. Meanwhile Senior Prosecutor James Steel (Ben Daniels) is accused of tampering with evidence and perverting the course of justice after an old case is reopened…

A quality array of guest stars including Juliet Stevenson, Eddie Marsan, Tobias Menzies, Nicola Walker and Matthew McNulty will join the cast for series four.

In Help, the first episode, ex-Premier League Footballer, Robbie Nichols, is beaten to death with a tyre iron on a London street one evening in what looks like a robbery gone wrong. Investigations lead DS Matt Devlin (Jamie Bamber) and DS Ronnie Brooks (Bradley Walsh) to everyman, Mike Jones (Lorcan Cranitch). He was seen in the area at the time of the murder, has motive and, once arrested, has his DNA matched to the murder weapon. Proclaiming his innocence, Mike points the finger at a well known East End gangster who he says he saw at the scene of the crime on the evening in question. The police are at odds as to who to believe.

Trying the accused is no mean feat for Senior Crown Prosecutor James Steel (Ben Daniels) who is up against the eccentric defence barrister Jason Peters (Eddie Marsan). Witness intimidation, false plea bargaining and corruption stand in the way of the truth but in the end, will the decency of one good samaritan be enough to finally put a murderer where they belong? Michael Cochrane is Judge Burchville.

Freema Agyeman, who plays Alesha Phillips, believes this is the kind of storyline that makes LAW&ORDER: UK so pertinent to today's society.

"This episode is addressing the culture of fear that has come to the fore of late when bystanders have to face the possible consequences of doing the right thing. Everyone will have an opinion on this subject; we've all thought about and considered what we might do in a similar situation," says Freema.

"That is one of the things I love about this show that the stories are so relevant in 2011 even though they are based on much older episodes from the US. That and the fact that we tackle dramatic storylines which address completely different issues each week whether it be racism, conspiracy, mental health or corruption.

"Some of these subjects will never be easy for me to deal with but paradoxically I always feel better after we have tackled a traumatic episode because I feel like I have contributed in a public forum; we are able to air it and discuss it. Apart from being a great hour's entertainment, one of the functions of this show is to provoke and promote discussion and that all starts with the cast and crew."

Freema is very excited at the reception LAW&ORDER:UK has received in the US.

She explains: "It's the biggest relief that they like it! A real buzz has been generated over there about our show. I feel a real sense of pride on behalf of the show."

And Freema admits the US has shown an interest in her as a result. "My agent is getting requests so I might just give it a try later this year. I've never really had the confidence to go over and self promote before but it is something I have always wanted to try - although I'm fully expecting it to be a totally different world than I'm used to."

Having now filmed four series of the show, Freema says she feels 'completely at home' in the role of Alesha. And her new found self-possession has translated into her character as well.

"I'm really comfortable in the role and have a real sense of pride on behalf of what all of us have achieved with the show. And I think as I get more comfortable playing Alesha so she gets more confident.

"A director who we worked with back at the beginning and who recently returned for another episode told me he loved the headmistress in Alesha which he'd never seen before. I think she's outgrown that rather Victorian child aspect of the role where she was there to listen and learn. There has been a change in her status and there is certainly plenty more room for her to grow which keeps me interested in the part. I can see the journey we've come on and the one ahead; I really enjoy playing Alesha."

This episode is produced by Richard Stokes, directed by James Strong and written by Terry Cafolla. The executive producers are Andrew Woodhead, Stephen Garrett and Jane Featherstone. Dick Wolf is creator and executive producer of the series. A Kudos/Wolf Films/NBC Universal Production.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (23-02-2011)

ITV website

Episode: 2 of 6
    Monday, 14 March 2011, 9:00PM - 10:00PM
    Episode two: Denial:

In series four of LAW&ORDER: UK the critically acclaimed cast; Bradley Walsh, Jamie Bamber, Harriet Walter, Ben Daniels, Freema Agyeman and Bill Paterson tackle more emotionally gripping, unmissable stories.

Love, betrayal and assisted suicide are the themes of this week’s episode, Denial, when high court judge Rachel Callaghan (Juliet Stevenson) is shot in the underground carpark of her apartment building in what looks like a car robbery gone wrong. It soon becomes apparent to DS Ronnie Brooks (Bradley Walsh) and DS Matt Devlin (Jamie Bamber) DS Ronnie Brooks (Bradley Walsh) and DS Matt Devlin (Jamie Bamber) that a hitman was hired to kill her. Despite being shot twice, the judge is left on life support in hospital with her husband (John McArdle) and daughter by her bedside. The question on everyone’s minds is who wanted the judge dead - a career criminal she’s been pursuing a case against? Or someone a little closer to home?

As a woman used to putting up a fight, Judge Callaghan initially refuses to accept the doctor’s prognosis on her condition. However, as evidence begins to mount against the accused, her health slowly deteriorates and the judge decides to have the hospital stop her treatment which will bring about her death. In a poignant and tender climax, CPS Director George Castle (Bill Paterson) is torn between friendship and respecting a person’s right to die as he tries to get Rachel to accept the truth of what has happened. Diana Quick is Judge Mary Hall.

Bill Paterson, who plays George Castle, says: "Juliet Stevenson and I have worked together two or three times, most notably on a long sell out run of the play Death and The Maiden in which we play husband and wife. She is also very much my neighbour as she lives about four houses away from me.

"She is a wonderful actress and I was very pleased to do these significant and emotional scenes with Juliet. These scenes are between two people who have a friendship through a professional relationship as law makers similar to the relationship Juliet and I have. In a way it makes these scenes easier as we have a shorthand. What certainly make sit easier is acting with Juliet because she gives so much to it."

Talking of upset in his team later n the series, Bill adds: "George is obviously upset by the allegations levelled at James Steel. If there is one thing George prides himself on it is integrity. He might swing from reactionary to occasional liberalism but he doesn't cut corners or do shady deals so he is shocked by the tremors that in his department."

This episode is produced by Richard Stokes, directed by Robert Del Maestro and written by Catherine Tregenna . The executive producers are Andrew Woodhead, Stephen Garrett and Jane Featherstone. Dick Wolf is creator and executive producer of the series. A Kudos/Wolf Films/NBC Universal Production.

Episode three: ID 21st March 2011

In series four of LAW&ORDER: UK the critically acclaimed cast; Bradley Walsh, Jamie Bamber, Harriet Walter, Ben Daniels, Freema Agyeman and Bill Paterson tackle more emotionally gripping, unmissable stories.

In the third episode, ID, when a pregnant junior doctor is found beaten to death in the car park of the hospital where she works, the prime suspect becomes her boyfriend, Joe Nash (Matthew McNulty), who cannot provide a solid alibi for where he was at the time of the killing. Mobile phone traces put him in the right place at approximately the right time but when his therapist Daniela Renzo (Nicola Walker) provides him with an alibi for that evening, DS Matt Devlin (Jamie Bamber) and DS Ronnie Brooks (Bradley Walsh) begin to suspect they are having an affair. On arrest, a more harrowing truth emerges.

What initially seems like a crime of passion soon unravels into a conspiracy involving senior level government officials. Risking their careers and defying the instruction of the Director of Public Prosecutions, Crown prosecutors James Steel (Ben Daniels) and Alesha Phillips (Freema Agyeman) must get to the bottom of this case before another life is destroyed.

Bradley Walsh says: "This storyline is exceptional. I'm sure these things go on - people are given new identities while the rest of society goes about its business. Most people wouldn't know who their neighbours are. This could really happen and I find it intriguing. You never know what goes on behind your neighbour's net curtains…

"Our show isn't scared about taking on issues. There are plenty of dramas with more gore or violence. LAW&ORDER: UK isn't like that but it shows the intensity and relationships between the perpetrator and police and judicial systems; that whole three way dynamic is quite incredible."

Bradley's character, Ronnie Brooks, faces some tough accusations later in the series.
    He says: "Ronnie believes everyone deserves a second chance. He knows people don't usually wake up in the morning wanting to commit a crime but circumstances make it happen. He knows there is often a reason - be it family problems or drugs; all things that are symptomatic of today's society. And he knows this because of is own failings as a younger man; the drinking and the failed marriages.

"So when James Steel points the finger at him and suggests that maybe evidence went missing because he was drunk on the job it is a shameful for Ronnie to have to deal with. But what gives him strength is how his boss and his partner round on Steel and jump straight to Ronnie's defence."

Law & Order: UK returned to ITV1 with almost 5.5m on Monday evening, trouncing Motorway Cops on BBC One, according to the latest audience data.

Series four of Law & Order: UK, starring Freema Agyeman and Bradley Walsh, premiered with 5.48m (21.9%) on ITV1 in the 9pm hour and 84k (0.5%) on timeshift. The show proved too strong for Motorway Cops, which managed just 2.92m (11.7%) on BBC One.

Thread Information