Hollyoaks star Jennifer Metcalfe has warned fans not to expect a happy ending for her character Mercedes McQueen and mechanic Joe Roscoe.

The pair are currently expecting a baby together following a one-night stand earlier this year and their current friendship has been tipped to develop into more as time goes on.

However, speaking to Digital Spy about the new dynamic, Metcalfe admitted that it's only ever a matter of time before Mercedes hits the self-destruct button.

"The friendship with Joe is lovely at the moment and it's quite a new thing for Mercedes, because usually she's got her eyes firmly set on someone," the popular actress explained. "Even if she's getting on with someone she thinks, 'Right, let's just jump into bed together!'

"I quite like that this one is really slow-burning. It does show a different side to Mercedes and that she can actually be friends with a man in the short-term.

"Maybe it could lead to more, as Mercedes always thinks she wants someone safe and someone loyal. When it boils down to it, though, I don't know if she really does!

"I do think she's probably at her best with the Doctor Browning-type characters. It's good to show that she can have other relationships, but I just don't think she'd want to do it long-term!"

On Mercy's surprise pregnancy, she continued: "I think it's a great storyline. Mercedes is not the most maternal, so there's always going to be drama there. The only bad thing has been the baby bump because they're very hot and sweaty in the summer!

"Maybe it would be nice to show the audience that Mercedes can be a good mum this time, but I always think that she's at her best when she's being really irresponsible like she has been in the past."

Metcalfe returned to Hollyoaks with a bang earlier this year following a short break. Mercedes had appeared to be killed off in November when she was stabbed at home, but it later transpired that she had teamed up with Grace Black to fake her death and frame Freddie Roscoe.

The return of Mercedes is now up for the Best Shock Twist prize at the 2015 Inside Soap Awards, while Metcalfe herself is up for Sexiest Female.

Reflecting on the past few months, Metcalfe said: "It's been really fab. I started back again in March but since then it's been quite nice and steady with storylines. With the new storylines coming up, I'm going to be pretty busy again so I'm really looking forward to that.

"Taking the time away from the show did exactly what I wanted it to do. It just made me come back refreshed and up for more juicy storylines. I loved the way Mercedes left and the way it allowed me to come back with a bang, so for the show to win Best Shock Twist would mean a lot.

"It was difficult to keep it quiet that Mercedes wasn't really dead and that I was coming back, but we knew that it would only work if it was kept quiet. I'm the world's worst liar, but I did my best and managed to hold out for six months. It turns out I'm not such a bad liar after all!"

Hollyoaks is now building up to a huge week in October which will see the show mark its 20th anniversary. Highlights will include a white water pursuit stunt and the long-awaited reveal of the Gloved Hand Killer's identity.

Metcalfe said: "It's so good on set at the moment - there's a real buzz about reaching 20 years and we're going to be doing some show-stopping storylines that week. They have a big storyline running through the week and they're making sure that most people are in those episodes. I'm not that involved, so I do stick my nose in but not for long!

"I still haven't got a clue who the Gloved Hand Killer is - they'll probably surprise us, won't they? Whoever you think it is, they'll do the exact opposite. I actually think it'd be good if Silas came back and he was the one doing it all behind the scenes! He was fab!"

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...tml#ixzz3kIAnb

Are no females in soapland using contraceptives, know where to buy condoms or the morning after pill? Every one night stand ends up with a pregnancy ...