Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katherine Kelly (Becky Granger, Corrie)

Katherine Kelly (Becky Granger, Corrie)

Coronation Street's Becky Granger - played by Katherine Kelly - runs riot next week when her boyfriend Jason Grimshaw (Ryan Thomas) dumps her in the hope of reuiniting with his estranged wife, Sarah Platt (Tina O'Brien). The loved-up pair are in the midst of setting up their new home when Jason drops the bombshell on her. Enraged, Becky attacks Jason in the Weatherfield watering hole, before flashing her boobs, smashing a shop window and ultimately a police car's windscreen. Here, Katherine chats to DS about her character and what it was like filming her rampage scenes.

Becky's really excited to be setting up home with Jason, isn't she?
    "Yeah – it's all her dreams come true. When she first arrived on the Street, she was homeless – that was the only definition of Becky I got when I originally landed the part. To go from the old fingerless gloves to setting up a flat with Jason, the fittest guy on the Street, it's the best life has ever been for her."

Does she truly love him?
    "She absolutely believes that she's 100% in love with him. I see it as a very teenage relationship because of the on-off status. Becky's very mature in many ways - she's very streetwise and if you needed something, you'd go to Becky and she'd find it for you. But emotionally, she's very immature. That's a lot to do with why she gets on so well with Roy because he's quite emotionally immature, too. It's probably the one level that they do connect on."

What happens between Becky and Jason for her to flip out?
    "Michelle overhears a conversation between David and Amber in the corner shop and they're talking about Sarah returning to the Street. Michelle really makes Jason feel bad about it, prompting him to come clean with Becky. It's a real shocker for Becky. She always thought she was second best and Jason confirms it."

Why does she end up attacking Jason in the Rovers?
    "When Jason tells Becky about Sarah, she holds it together quite well – it's quite strange for Becky, really. I think Jason finds it quite odd, too. After kicking him out of the flat, she's absolutely wired but goes to The Rovers for her shift. It's when she starts drinking the snakebite that she starts to lose it. Jason wanders into the pub wanting to apologise. At that point, Becky asks him whether she was just keeping the bed warm for Sarah and he pretty much says 'yes'. That's when she vaults over the bar, grabs him by the throat and drags him to the ground."

What was it like filming the scenes in the bar?
    "It was great. They're highly technical scenes, though, so they're not as fun as you'd think. You've got to be focused as quite a bit can go wrong. To be honest, though, a lot of the pressure was on Ryan [Thomas]. I had to get myself over the bar, but once I'd got him by the throat, he had to carry me to the floor. It doesn't look like it, but he's the one having to do a lot of the work!

"I was black and blue by the end of it, though! Obviously there's the final take [which they use for the episode], but there were six rehearsals and two takes that didn't go quite right. So my legs were just black from it!"

What happens after she's thrown out of The Rovers?
    "Afterwards, she just goes into self-destruct and goes out onto the streets of Manchester, drinking cider. She ends up stealing a purse, flashing her boobs, smashing a shop window and a windscreen of a police car…"

There's a touching scene with Becky and Roy where, despite the fact she's drunk, she tells Roy she loves him…
    "It said in the script that Becky would fight back the tears when Jason left the flat after coming clean with her about Sarah. But I decided that Becky shouldn't cry or get upset about anything until she sees Roy. She lets it all out with Roy. I didn't expect the bit where Becky tells Roy that she loves him to be as poignant as it turned out."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alvinsduckie (21-05-2009)

Bonus Scoop: Corrie's Kat Kelly

Last week, I caught up with the fabulous Katherine Kelly - Becky Granger in Coronation Street - to chat about her upcoming storyline that sees her wreak havoc in Weatherfield. I have to say, her performance is one of the most convincing pieces of acting to come from Corrie in the last couple of months.

Click here to read the original interview. However, if you're prefer to read more about Becky and Steve's 'spark' as well as Julie Hesmondhalgh's return to filming, then read on...

You have some fantastic scenes with Simon Gregson next week, don't you?
    "I loved those bits. Those were the first scenes we actually filmed of the whole week, so it was hard to pitch how drunk Becky was! You can just have fun with Simon, though."

Is there still a spark between them?
    "Yeah, I think there's a big spark between them, but neither of them see it because they're so preoccupied by who they're with. I really think that they're punching above their weight with their current partners. It'd take someone else to point out the attraction between them, though. They don't even realise how much they've got it common. They do get closer in the storyline by default because Steve's forced to act as Becky's alibi for the night she caused all the damage."

Do you think we'll ever delve into Becky's past a little more?
    "You just get little dabbles of Becky's past to be honest. There's a bit coming up with the DC Hooch storyline and it transpires that he's known her a while. The odd thing does get mentioned, but I'd be really surprised if Becky's family ever showed up.

"I don't think the writers and producers want to pin her down. If you look at Roy, for example, you've never met his family or heard much about them. I've never been told anything about Becky's past anyway. I think Becky's mum will have had quite a few boyfriends, though. Although maybe she had a really nice family - you never know!"

Is Julie Hesmondhalgh back on set yet?
    "She's back today actually, which is why we're hectic with filming. It's brilliant – it's like she's never been away. She's just slotted straight back in. And best of all, Roy and Becky are so glad she's back, too."

Coronation Street star Katherine Kelly has revealed that "darker" storylines are ahead for her character Becky Granger.

The 29-year-old actress admitted that producers are keen to explore Becky's past over the coming months, leading to fresh problems for her troubled alter-ego.

Speaking to the Daily Star Sunday, Kelly explained: "We're currently filming scenes that will be shown this summer and we're going back to a bit of darkness with Becky. She had her life's high at the beginning of the year by getting together with Steve McDonald so now she's going to dip back down, which I'm really pleased about.

"There will be a few shady characters from Becky's past returning to cause her problems. When she first came into the Street she had a lot of one-night stands and those times come back to haunt her."

The star also confirmed reports that she has signed a new contract which will keep her in Weatherfield until 2011.

"I'm going to be around for another couple of years which is great," she said. "I really wanted to be in Corrie when it turned 50 and I'm really looking forward to what's coming up."

Kelly walked away with the best actress prize at the British Soap Awards last weekend.

Well we know Slug is coming back. Wonder what other trouble Becky is going to get into. I think she may slap windass when it comes out that he's stole Roy's credit card at the supermarket.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Coronation Street's Becky Granger appears to be settling into the life she's always wanted. She has a steady relationship, an (almost) perfect man in Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson) and a regular roof over her head.

Despite ruining her first wedding by turning up to the registry office three sheets to the wind, the brash barmaid - played by 29-year-old Katherine Kelly - now has her heart firmly set on becoming the fifth Mrs McDonald in a lavish August white wedding.

However, the surprise reappearance of Slug (Marshall Lancaster) - an old face from Becky's less-than-sparkling past - could threaten her plans. Now a mobile phone salesman operating under what's believed to be his real name, Neil, Becky's old flame sauntered back into her life on Monday.

Suited, booted and claiming to have turned over a new leaf, Slug's apparently squeaky clean from drugs and alcohol.

"At first [Becky]'s gutted," says Kelly. "He's not shown his face in a few years and things are going so well for Becky. Slug's not really crossed her mind so when he walks into the pub she's really shocked, especially by the change in his appearance. He's wearing a suit, he's had his hair cut and he's smartened up his act."

What Becky believes to be a one-off visit to catch up on old times soon turns into a regular occurrence and for reasons unknown to Becky, Slug decides to make The Rovers his new watering hole. She continues: "He keeps popping up and he persuades her that he's changed too. He tells her he's got his life sorted - he's got a job and he's back on track. She believes him because she wants to. It happened to her so it can happen to him."

Not one to forget her character's past, she smiles: "Marshall and I have invented a whole back story between us. It's nice to remember where Becky came from and what a journey she's had. Slug was an important part of Becky's life - they’ve got a lot of history. They grew up together and looked out for each other so she wants to believe it's possible [that he's changed]."

But does Becky believe that one man can really shake his bedraggled image and wicked ways? And more to the point, is she prepared to let him back into her life so easily?

"She doesn't want that Slug back in her life but this [new version of] Slug she wants to believe in," Kelly explains. "The more they chat, the more they slip back into their old ways."

Becky's undergone a major transformation over the years, from her drug years with Slug to residing with the Croppers at the café and now with Steve at The Rovers.

Recalling Becky's past life with Slug, Kelly says: "They clung together but it wasn't love. They spiralled out of control together and were only separated by prison. It was a very complicated relationship; they were each other’s world but purely because they didn’t have anyone else. It was quite dark. Before the Croppers, Slug was everything to her, because he was the only thing she had and vice versa."

While catching up on old times over a drink, though, Becky's completely taken aback by his claim that he still loves her. Not wanting to risk anything, she quickly rebuffs his attempts to reignite the spark they had as young lovers.

"It comes off the back of a long conversation about their past," Kelly explains. "He says he still loves her but she just brushes it off and says 'no you don't'. She tells him he may think he loves her but they didn't know what love is. [Becky] does now, though, and she's in love with Steve."

With the prospect of a lavish wedding on the horizon, Becky's in her element planning for her big day with her true love. "Steve is it, he's everything to Becky," she beams. "He's the one big time for her. She knows what love is now and she wouldn't go back to Slug even if Steve was out of the picture.

"Becky's moved on a lot, she's changed and as the weeks go on, you can see that Slug doesn't really understand who she's become. He thinks it's an act but the Becky he loves doesn't exist any more. There is no agenda to Becky and he finds that odd…"

But will Slug be content in seeing Becky begin a new life as Mrs McDonald Mk 5? Or is there something more sinister afoot?

Slug is there for a reason I wonder if he even has a job as he claims!

He is helping the policeman Hooch to frame her for drug dealing on her wedding day.

Oh ok so thats why he is sniffing arounf- thanks

I wondered what the story with him was!
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

I used to be her biggest fan but can't she see what Slug/Neil is all about- he HAS not changed he just dresses better but is still a creep!

Thread Information