Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Merlin

I am enjoying this new season of Merlin, but wondering what "dastardly deeds" Morgana and Morgause are planning. Morgana's character has certainly darkened over time.

The goblin in last week's episode wreaked some - ahem - "unfortunate" havoc on the Court, which would have put "Blazing Saddles" to shame!

Lol, last week's episode was really funny.

I've started watching Merlin this series and am really enjoying it. I wish I'd watched it from the very beginning.

I've watched all of the Merlin series. Initially, I wasn't too sure about the use of "modern" language (as I believe others mentioned earlier in this thread,) but it seemed to become less noticeable as the series progressed.

I hadn't even noticed they were using modern language. It's not that noticeable, not like when they did the same in Robin Hood - it really grated on me then. Mind you, everything about Robin Hood grated on me .
    Last edited by Dazzle; 30-09-2010 at 15:45.

BBC One will air a fourth series of fantasy drama Merlin, the corporation announced today.

Following a strong following for its third series, the show has been recommissioned for ten more episodes, likely to air in early 2012 due to the rescheduling of Doctor Who.

Ben Stephenson, the controller of drama commissioning, said in a statement: "Merlin continues to perform outstandingly well against The X Factor and offers audiences an alternative treat on Saturday nights."

Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy, executive producers for Shine TV, said referring to the future plot trajectory: "We are both delighted with the continuing success of Merlin, and relish the chance to take the series to the next level with the long-awaited arrival of the Knights of the Round Table."

Starring Colin Morgan, Anthony Head and Richard Wilson among others, Merlin has had phenomenal success abroad, selling to 180 countries worldwide.

As the third run of Merlin nears its end, we caught up with Prince Arthur himself, actor Bradley James, for a quick chat about the series so far and what's coming up in the final four episodes. Take a look at our interview below for a few choice spoilers on episodes 10 through 13, and maybe even a few hints at what's in store for the future!

Can you give us a some hints on what's coming up in the final few episodes?
    "The biggest hint I can say is that we always have great guests who come into the show. It's the best thing about doing it really. They come in and play these great parts, then get killed off and disappear. Whereas this year, we have some very important characters who arrive, and are very much ingrained in the legends themselves, and they have so much more of an important on the future of the story. We've already seen the arrival of Gwaine, who is one of the Knights of the Round Table. The thing I'm most excited about is easily the arrival of more Knights of the Round Table! The formation of that is starting to become apparent, so that's what I'm really looking forward to seeing."

Will Arthur discover the truth about his mother's death this series?
    "He certainly discovers something with regards to the family. I think last year had the big revelation [relating to that] which was covered up in a bit of a P.R. exercise by Uther! This year, there's more family revelations, but I wouldn't say they're directly linked with Arthur's mother."

Could it involve Morgana and her discovery that Uther is her real father?
    "Bingo! Yeah, pretty much. Of course, you then find yourself playing with the dynamic of how other people find out, and if people find out that Morgana knows, so that's played around with this year."

How do you think that will affect Arthur's relationship with Morgana?
    "Well, something that's happened this year, which I think needed to happen, is that the reset button won't be able to be pressed this time around. Certain things happen that will change the dynamic of the show and take it in a direction that you can't come back from. I'm particularly pleased about that. I think it's fantastic and I think a lot of fans will be pleased about that as well."

Arthur and Merlin seem to be on friendlier terms this year. Are you pleased with that evolution?
    "Yeah, it was very much important that that happens. Arthur can only treat him a certain way for so long! Presumably Merlin would have quit by now if he'd continued to be treated the way he was when we started off! The relationship continues to grow. It's an integral part of the show, I guess, with the focus being on Arthur's destiny and the story being told through Merlin's eyes. It becomes a very important relationship and I think it naturally has to develop so that audiences are aware that this is going somewhere. They're becoming the familiar characters of legend."

How will Arthur's relationship with Uther develop?
    "Well, Uther is really the one thing standing in Arthur's way. It would be very easy for Merlin to fulfil his destiny just by killing off Uther. But I think it will be interesting to see how the show does deal with getting him out of the way. I suppose it's important to relay the fact that, in the legends, Arthur never knew Uther, so there's a completely different dynamic in the show. It's completely changed the characters and how everyone sees them, so they have different goals. But again, I think Arthur's relationship with Uther can only go so far before you've got to give him the elbow! I'm sure it will happen at some stage. I want to get myself on the throne at some point!"

Which has been your favourite episode this series?
    "[Episode six] was a hell of a lot of fun to do. Also, when I initially read episode eight, I knew that was going to be a good one. I remember reading the script and thinking it was brilliant. When we shot it, we went off to these various locations and filmed these great shots. I have a feeling that episode will be my favourite of the series."

Have you been filming any special features for the first DVD release from the third series?
    "The behind-the-scenes team seem to have come on to the set in spurts! I'm sure they'll provide the DVD with something that will please Merlin fans. That's been a great feature about the previous two series, so I'd have thought that they'll spice it up again this year!"

Tom Ellis has revealed details of his character Cenred's role in the upcoming third series finale of Merlin.

The actor told What's On TV that the evil warlord will follow his own agenda in the final two episodes.

"This time... you get the sense that Cenred might be in it more for himself than you may have thought before," he explained. "Never trust a baddy!"

Ellis added that the show's heroes will be forced to battle an "immortal army" as the series draws to a close.

"There's a cup of life, a powerful magical artefact which carries the gift of immortality to anyone who drinks from it," he said. "Morgause gets hold of it... and, with Cenred's men, creates an... army to try to take over Camelot again and make Morgana the queen."

He continued: "There are some great battles to look out for. They are brilliant episodes and a grandstand finish to the series."

Merlin continues this Saturday at 7.45pm on BBC One

Q&A: Colin Morgan talks the 'Merlin' finale

The third series of Merlin is heading towards a thrilling conclusion, with the first instalment of a two-part finale airing this Saturday night. Eager to get the inside scoop, we caught up with Merlin himself, Colin Morgan, to chat about the final episodes, what's to come in series four and how it felt to look 80 years old. Warning - may contain mild spoilers!

What have been some of your highlights from series three?
    "Definitely one of the biggest highlights for me was having Warwick Davis work on the show. I'm a huge Willow fan, so it was great to have him on it. There's also some pretty iconic moments that happen in the third series, but are still to come in the final two episodes. Obviously I'm aware of the Arthurian legends and I've read lots about them, but to see those iconic images being recreated was definitely a huge highlight as well. Of course, all the locations that we get to go to are brilliant. There were some new ones we visited this year which were just stunning. There's loads of highlights, but that's all I can think of at the moment!"

Is it exciting for you as the show introduces more elements from the legends, such as the knights of the round table?
    "Totally. When I first started, throughout series one and two, I exhausted all the literature of Arthurian legend and Merlin. To be so aware of it and be working in that world, then seeing it all materialise, knowing that it's so rooted in history and that you're continuing this legend that's been retold throughout the years, is brilliant. It's hugely exciting. I haven't become complacent at all. I still act like a bit of a geek when I see it all happening!"

How was it wearing the make-up for episode ten when you were disguised as the old wizard?
    "Brilliant. It was really good to get a chance to do something completely different and play a different character. I got a chance to have a bit of fun with that. The first time we put the make-up on, it took a little over five hours. Keeping it on all day, your face does feel a bit fatigued! But it's fun experimenting with it and seeing what you can get away with, knowing that it's not your face. Although I enjoyed every single second of it, it did feel good to have it peeled off at the end of the day!"

What hints can you give us about what's coming up in the final two episodes?
    "Huge iconic elements from the legends are happening. You'll see the formation of a certain famous band of knights, possibly seated at some form of table! There's also elements from the past. Things that have been buried since season one are going to resurface, literally! You're also going to see the kingdom and those who rule it overthrown and taken over by a dark force. Camelot is in dire straits. All the heroes are forced to form a vigilante gang to fight against it all."

Will we see any returning characters from the show's past?
    "Absolutely. Some characters who haven't appeared since series two [come back]. Lancelot's returning and Gwaine makes another appearance. There's also other characters from the past with an emotional link to Merlin. Emilia Fox returns as Morgause - she has a big hand in what happens. Tom Ellis, who plays Cenred, also appears. All the evil ones are coming back, but we've got some goodies on our side, as well!"

It seems like there's big changes ahead for the show. Does this feel like the end of an era?
    "It kind of does. It seems like things would be completely different, going into a fourth series. Having come out of the crisis at the end of the final episode, Camelot's going to be a very different place. You see Arthur acting more like a king. Whether that means he's really on the brink of taking the throne, I don't know. But it's certainly feeling very close. Merlin is also going to be a changed person. It definitely does feel like once this hurdle is jumped, Camelot is going to be a changed place."

How would you like the character of Merlin to evolve in series four?
    "Of course, this is a tale about growing up, and you never want your character to grow up too fast. Certainly the producers like to keep it as a slow boiler. I'm always keen to see Merlin making more mature decisions and that's something that they've been focusing on throughout the third series. He can't be as naive as he was when the show first began. He's been hurt too many times and been through too much. I'd like to see my Merlin taking on more of the aspects of the Merlin of legend, with a wise head on his shoulders. I'd like to see Merlin become less naive and also concentrate more on his powers. I don't think we've seen him do enough cool magical stuff. I want more cool stuff to do!"

Do you know yet when series four will begin filming?
    "We start again next year, I think around March time."

Do you have any other projects lined up during the break?
    "The film that I did last year, called Parked, has just been selected from the Torino Film Festival in Italy, so I'm going to that at the end of the month. I'll also be promoting another film that I did, called Island. There's nothing set in stone yet in terms of other work, so I'm enjoying my rest at the moment, having come to the end of the eight-month Merlin madness!"

Merlin continues this Saturday at 7.45pm on BBC One.

I have just been watching Points of View. A woman complained that Merlin was shown eating tomatoes because there wouldn't have been any in his time.....

Get a life, dear!

Merlin producer Johnny Capps has revealed that the show's fourth series will run for thirteen weeks.

It was announced in October last year that the fantasy drama would return to BBC One for ten new episodes.

However, Capps recently told SFX: "There was talk there would be 10 [episodes] but there will be 13. We were very lucky with series three [because] it was hugely successful and we built our audience throughout, so I think the BBC now sees [Merlin] as one of their most important Autumn dramas, especially for a Saturday night."

He also confirmed that the new run will open with a two-part adventure, and that the Knights of Camelot will feature prominently in future episodes.

"The knights are important characters throughout the series," he said. "They are around a lot. In series four, Camelot has changed to a certain degree. Uther is a broken man, so Arthur has to take a little bit more control."

He continued: "People are surprised that [Arthur] has given these people that aren't of noble birth the title of knight, so there's an interesting tension around him and his posse of knights."

DS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (21-03-2011)

Thread Information