Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitney Dean (Shona McGarty)

ah, isn't mercy leaving.. So fatboy gets with Whitney
    Super Mod

RYAN Malloy leaves little sister Whitney Dean in tears as he bids farewell in his final EastEnders scene.
    The Walford lad, played by Neil McDermott, flees after having an explosive fight with her pimp Rob on Southend pier.
    Fearing he'll be caught by cops for what he's done to the villain, he goes on the run - leaving Whitney (Shona McGarty) devastated.

His troubled sister - who was forced into prostitution by Rob (played by Jody Latham) - manages to get her hands on cash for him before he makes his escape.
    The pair say their final goodbyes then he disappears into the crowd.
    Ryan first appeared on the soap in April 2009. His last scenes will air later this summer.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz1Q9Bcl48t

EastEnders character Ryan Malloy will leave Albert Square after murdering Whitney's pimp, it has been reported.

Following a showdown on Southend Pier, Ryan will kill Rob Grayson (Jody Latham) as revenge for forcing his sister into prostitution.

Ryan, played by Neil McDermott, will say his goodbyes to Whitney (Shona McGarty) before disappearing into the crowd and going on the run from police.

"Ryan's been involved in some big storylines so we wanted him to leave in typically dramatic fashion," a source told the News of the World.

"Neil felt it was time for him to spend more time with his family. However, he has not been killed off, so there is always a chance he could return in the future."

McDermott announced he was quitting the BBC One soap last week.

Cool Shona McGarty - Whitney DS Interview

EastEnders revisits Whitney Dean's dark storyline with Rob Grayson next week as she comes face-to-face with the evil pimp once again. Horrified that Rob has returned to Walford, Whitney spots an opportunity to make her escape when she sees Fatboy, Dot, Heather and Shirley about to head off for a holiday in Southend. Tagging along with them on the trip, Whitney thinks that she's found a safe haven - but Rob follows her and it's not long before he makes his presence known… Here, Shona McGarty, who plays Whitney, chats to Digital Spy about the dramatic episodes ahead for her character.

It's been a big year for you on EastEnders with another high-profile storyline. Have you enjoyed it?
    "Yeah, I'm privileged - I've been so lucky with the storylines that I've been given. I think they've all been really important storylines and I'm really grateful that I've had some good feedback so far. And obviously that feedback's not just for me but for the show, too - it's important that we do it properly, we do our research and we make it look as real as possible. I'm really honoured to have been given the opportunities that I have."

EastEnders worked with Comic Relief for Whitney's sexual exploitation storyline to raise awareness of the issue. When the episodes aired in March, did they have the impact that you'd all hoped for?
    "Yes. I've had members of the public say to me that they can't believe these things can happen so quickly - that a vulnerable young girl can meet someone and something like this can happen to them. I think people had overlooked it or weren't really aware of the issue at all, or they thought it was something that happened overseas but not here. But it happens absolutely everywhere and there's so many cases, which I was shocked about when I did my research. I don't think I'd been fully aware of it, either."

When you get a gritty storyline like this one, do you take it home with you or are you able to switch off from it?
    "Well, I did a lot of research and I met some real-life victims of sexual exploitation. That was a real insight and it felt a lot more real. I really felt for them and I felt like I really needed to do this storyline properly for them. But at the same time, I don't take anything home with me - I literally leave Whitney at the gate and take Shona home."

We're about to see Rob make a surprise return into Whitney's life. What's her reaction when they come face-to-face again?
    "When Rob returns, it's the worst thing that's happened to Whitney in her life - she relives all of those dreaded moments. Whitney was sexually exploited but I'm not sure that she even fully realises that she was - she finds it very hard to speak about it. So you can imagine that when Whitney sees Rob for the first time in such a long time, she's absolutely devastated. She feels like it's happening all over again and she doesn't know where to go."

Is that why Whitney heads off to Southend with Fatboy and Dot - she wants to be as far away from Rob as possible?
    "Yes. Whitney literally jumps in front of the car - it's a massive cry for help. She doesn't tell anyone what's happened, but she just asks Fatboy whether she can get in and where him and Dot are going. She doesn't really care where they're going - she just wants to be taken away from Walford because Rob is there and he's so dangerous."

Whitney must feel even worse when Rob follows her to Southend…
    "Definitely - Whitney thinks that she's got away and Rob doesn't know where she's gone. She decides that she can stay there for as long as she needs to, and then when she goes back everything will be fine. But little does she know, Rob is just around the corner…"

When Rob approaches Whitney and they get talking, is there a sense that she could be fooled by him all over again?
    "There is, and I think it's not really a surprise that Whitney is tempted. If anyone shows Whitney a bit of attention, she's so confused because she never really got much attention as a child - and the attention that she did get came in completely the wrong way with Tony. So I think there is a chance that Whitney will fall for it - just because she's so lost."

How does Fatboy fit into the situation? Does he become quite protective over Whitney?
    "Big time! Fatboy becomes her closest friend while they're away - he almost becomes her saviour. At one point, Whitney's waiting in her hotel room for Fatboy and there's a knock on the door. Whitney thinks that it's Fatboy, but it turns out that it's Rob. Later, though, Fatboy does turn up and the next thing Whitney sees is him and Rob fighting on the floor."

What happens next?
    "Fatboy calls Ryan, who then turns up in Southend. Whitney is so happy that Ryan is there and she thinks that everything will be okay now. But all I can say is that everything goes horribly wrong…"

Whatever happens, we know that it's Neil McDermott's last week on screen. Were you sad to see him go?
    "Absolutely. In Ryan's last scene, Whitney is absolutely devastated and she cannot stop crying. But I felt the same way and when they called 'cut', I couldn't stop crying! I was in hysterics - I was so upset."

Did you enjoy doing all of the on-location filming in Southend?
    "Yeah - I absolutely loved it! It made a really nice change to be away from the studio, but the weather was a bit unpredictable - one minute it was raining and the next it was sunny. That was a bit of a nightmare - I didn't know what to put in my suitcase! But after a really long and hard day's filming - where we'd be shouting, screaming and trying to find that dark place inside of our characters - we'd all sit down for a nice meal in the evening and chill out. We'd run lines together and we all really bonded, actually. We do bond in the studio, but at the same time we're all rushing around and sometimes just passing each other in the hallway. But in Southend, it was really, really nice - we all got on so well. Everyone sat down together - make-up, lighting, camera - and we all really got to know each other."

What has Jody Latham, who plays Rob, been like to work with on the storyline?
    "He's amazing - I really respect him as a person, as well as an actor. I think he's very brave to play a character like that, and I felt the same way about Chris Coghill, who had the role of Tony. It's something that could be frowned upon among some of the viewers who take it so seriously, but Jody played that role really, really well. He scared me when he was doing his lines! He's brilliant. We also had a lot of fun on set together - working with him was a really good laugh."

Do you think Whitney will struggle without Ryan around?
    "Well, Whitney has still got people around but she's not related to them. She's actually not related to anyone on the Square - all she's got now is the kids, Pat, Fatboy and Lauren. I think Whitney also feels like she's being judged by everyone at the moment. What's interesting is that she's always worn a lot of jewellery, and after playing her for a little while now, I believe that is kind of her armour - that is her safety and it's almost a mask for her. She tries to seem strong and act like she doesn't care that so many bad things have happened to her, but that's a bit of a front."

Do you think Whitney has forgiven Carol yet, or is there still bad blood between the two of them?
    "I think Whitney is so scared of being judged by Carol, but obviously Carol has got a past and the two characters have their own history with Connor. I don't think Whitney has quite forgiven that yet. I think Whitney will be polite to Carol, but it's very uncomfortable when they're together."

As you mentioned, Fatboy becomes a big support for Whitney in Southend. Do you think they work best as friends or could it become something more?
    "I think it could become something more in the future, but I think the danger there is that they might ruin their friendship. Like I said, if someone shows Whitney a bit of affection, she thinks that they instantly love her. She's just craving love all the time, so there would be a danger of Whitney ruining her friendship with Fatboy."

We've seen some really nice scenes between Whitney and Lauren, so can we expect that friendship to be explored more?
    "Yeah, definitely. I think Whitney and Lauren are going to be really, really good friends. But at the moment, I think Lauren is very closed-off. She would tell Whitney little bits of gossip and they'd have some teenage chat, but she perhaps wouldn't tell her about other stuff that's going on in her life. On the other hand, Whitney would tell Lauren everything that's going on - she likes to just get it out! Because Lauren is so closed-off, I'd really like there to be an emotional scene for Lauren and Whitney to strengthen that friendship. But they'll be friends for a long time, I'm sure."

After so many hard times for Whitney, would you like some happier storylines or do you prefer the more dramatic material?
    "I've always really liked the dramatic stuff - it's a challenge, and I like a challenge because it's always really nice as an actress to do that. But at the same time, you can almost forget how to play happy scenes! (Laughs) At the moment, I am filming happier scenes for Whitney with Tyler and the young lot, which is really nice, because I'm trying to put a bit of comedy into Whitney. But I'm also trying to use that comedy as another part of Whitney's armour. Also, she's not wearing any jewellery at the moment - because of everything that's happened to her, she's almost forgotten to wear it. She's a bit different in what we're filming right now."

Have you enjoyed working with the new Moons?
    "Yeah, they're great! They've really spiced up the show, I think. And I'm sure that the girls are going to absolutely love them! I think they're doing some really, really good stuff at the moment, and they're so nice to work with."

We know that Patsy Palmer is coming back later in the year, so are you looking forward to that?
    "I can't wait! She sent me a little picture of her baby, but I haven't physically seen him yet, so I can't wait for that. It'll be great to have her back."

Pam St Clement is also part of your extended family on the show, so are you disappointed that she's bowing out?
    "I am - but I'm not entirely sure how she's leaving yet, which as a viewer I'm really curious about! I really want to know what's going to happen. But I don't want her to go - it's going to be the end of an era, and the end of an earring! (Laughs) Maybe Whitney will start wearing big earrings and take her place! I'm sure that it'll be a great storyline coming up and some really emotional stuff. Pam's great - she's absolutely amazing."

Finally, is there anyone at EastEnders who you'd love to have more scenes with?
    "I'd have to say Cheryl Fergison. We've had a few scenes together, but that was years ago. I think Heather is a great character. I think it'd be great for Whitney to be around someone who is genuinely nice, with no hidden agenda. Heather is really sweet, she means everything she says and I think she'd be great for Whitney to have a chat with. I also think she'd make Whitney laugh!"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dutchgirl (17-08-2011), tammyy2j (17-08-2011)

Could Alan's thread Shona McGarty - Whitney DS Interview be moved in here please?

Done
    Super Mod

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (17-08-2011)

TROUBLED EastEnders teenager Whitney Dean will move on from her sex exploitation ordeal by choosing between two different admirers.
    The former prostitute, played by Shona McGarty, will soon have both charmer Tyler Moon and cheeky Fatboy Chubb chasing her.

Viewers have already seen her grow close to Fatboy. He comforted her following her brother Ryan's confrontation with her ex-pimp Rob Grayson on Southend pier. Now Tyler is about to start wooing her as well.

A Walford insider said: "Whitney's had an awful year and a new romance is just what she needs to help her move on.

"She'll need to choose wisely in deciding who will be the best boyfriend."

Whitney was forced into a life of vice this year by pimp Rob.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-triangle.html

Love is in the air????????

ahh let her fall for fat boy, he's mint, and after all she does not need another "wide boy"
    AND TYLER WILL ALWAYS FIND A GIRL/WOMAN TO TRAP, HEY HOW ABOUT KIM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to owenlee4me For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (05-09-2011)

She will break Fatboy's heart

EastEnders star Shona McGarty has offered her take on her character's love triangle storyline, admitting that Whitney Dean would pick Tyler Moon over Fatboy Chubb.

Tyler (Tony Discipline) and Fatboy are both currently harbouring feelings for Whitney, but things become complicated in next week's episodes when Tyler is seriously injured by a fearsome opponent in a boxing match.

Viewers will see Tyler have a violent fit in the ring before being rushed to hospital, where Whitney waits anxiously at his bedside.

Speaking to Inside Soap about the storyline, McGarty explained: "Whitney genuinely thinks Tyler's going to die because the fit he has in the boxing ring is just so shocking. She's absolutely devastated. She feels that everything is slipping away from her - it's like her one chance at true love has gone."

Asked what Whitney would do if Tyler recovered and she was forced to choose between him and Fatboy, the actress replied: "She'd definitely pick Tyler because she likes a bit of drama! Whitney wouldn't want things to be boring - that's not to say that Fatboy's dull, but things would just be too nice with him and she knows life isn't like that the whole time.

"Off screen, my mates are all jealous that I've got two boys fighting over me. They're always saying to me, 'Can you get me Fatboy's number?' They love all the guys in the show!"

Ricky Norwood, who plays Fatboy, recently warned that there will be "lots of ifs and buts" for his character and Whitney in the coming months.

Thread Information