Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Enders baby axed over travel costs

'Enders baby axed over travel costs

One of EastEnders' youngest actors has been axed in order to cut back on travelling costs.

Gabriel Miller Williams, who plays Max (Jake Wood) and Tanya Branning's (Jo Joyner) son Oscar, has been dropped from the part after his £300-a-day taxi fare from his family home in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex to the BBC soap's studios in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, was seen as an excessive expense.

The 10-month-old's mother Claire Miller, 39, claims that she only discovered that her son had lost the part when his usual taxi failed to collect him, despite having signed what she believed to be a six-month contract.

She told The Mirror: "It's a disgusting way to treat people. We still haven't had a call explaining why he was sacked. I've sent his contract to solicitors to investigate legal action."

However, a spokeswoman for the Walford-based soap said: "It is not unusual for babies to be recast several times in continuing drama series such as EastEnders. In this instance the decision to recast at this time was in part due to Gabriel's travelling costs."

She added: "As the BBC strives to deliver value for money across all its productions, travel costs are a factor that must be considered."

The BBC this afternoon confirmed to DS that long-term contracts are not issued to babies or children. Instead, performance licences are granted by the local authority to allow those subject to such a licence to be booked on an 'as-and-when-needed' basis.

It is understood that the production team at EastEnders are now looking for a more local baby to take on the role.

£300 per day taxi fare to ferry a little baby around the countryside Should have looked for a more local baby boy to start with.

That is expensive!!!!

Nice to know that the BBC are spending taxpayers' money on a taxi for a ten month old baby.

What was wrong with casting a baby in the local area?

I'm sure the mother wouldn't be so upset if she was footing the bill.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Should have popped down to ToysRUs and bought a Tiny Tears doll!! lol

The person who okayed the payment of £300 a day for a taxi in the first place should be shot....

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

Woahh £300 quid! Jeeez! If it cost that much it's probably a long way away! and so it's probably not very healthy for a baby to be travelling that far anyways so maybe it's for the best!

How will EE sort this one out? The baby can't jsut dissapear! Mind you I ioften see Tanya without the baby in EE anyways

I always forget about Oscar lmao
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_2k11 For This Useful Post:

Xx-Vicky-xX (09-09-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty :] View Post

How will EE sort this one out? The baby can't jsut dissapear! Mind you I ioften see Tanya without the baby in EE anyways
    He will be recast. Oscar is hardly seen these days.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k7 View Post
    Amen to that Chris when ever there is an article claiming Max & Tanya have 3 children i have to think

Sig dedicated to Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_2k7 View Post
    I think most of the time the writer do too

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Nice to know that the BBC are spending taxpayers' money on a taxi for a ten month old baby.

What was wrong with casting a baby in the local area?

I'm sure the mother wouldn't be so upset if she was footing the bill.
    Tax Payers, no.

Licence Payers, yes.

Thread Information