Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Resitting Exams..

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    You will need Maths A Level to do Economics at uni. I have two friends going to LSE in September to do it, and they both needed it. In fact, they had to have Further Maths, so that is something you should definately look into doing as well as A Level maths.

There is no point retaking GCSE buisness, while doing it at A Level. A Level is a higher standard, so if your school will allow you to do it, then retaking a lower level is a waste of time. Just concentrating on getting an A in A Levels (Cause you need AAA/AAB to get into good unis to go Economics).
    Thank-you very much Abi! Especially for the links and all.. Very helpful x
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Spicy, check the UCAS website re. the requirements for economics courses at different Unis.

www.ucas.com

Regarding resiting a subject you intend to do at AS - why? AS trumps GCE.

Good luck.
    Thanks! Never thought of it ..
    I was just expecting a B soo much after getting it in all my mocks and surely I must have done worse than a C in my paper to get that as my actual result. I was so determined to get at least a B! I think I will ask them to mark it again..

Any ideas on how to go on about that anyone?... Thanks..

Times like these where I wish I wasn't an older child, *sigh* Guess someone has to do it

Quote Originally Posted by .:SpIcYsPy:. View Post
    I was just expecting a B soo much after getting it in all my mocks and surely I must have done worse than a C in my paper to get that as my actual result. I was so determined to get at least a B! I think I will ask them to mark it again..

Times like these where I wish I wasn't an older child, *sigh* Guess someone has to do it
    Ring your school in the morning. Your examinations officer should still be around, and if not, your school office will be able to put them in contact with you. Remarks usually take about a month or so, and you have to pay for them. Your examinations officer will be the person who sorts it though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (21-08-2008)

Ring your school in the morning. Your examinations officer should still be around, and if not, your school office will be able to put them in contact with you. Remarks usually take about a month or so, and you have to pay for them. Your examinations officer will be the person who sorts it though.
    Thanks I am definitely going to do that! I think I will get Drama re-marked while I am at it!

EDIT:
    Btw I went on the links and it said the search has timed out! When searching please can you tell me what you typed.. Anything specific? x
    Last edited by .:SpIcYsPy:.; 21-08-2008 at 21:18.

I got a grade lower in my Business than I was expecting too. I've never had anything lower than an A* in it so I think I'll find out how close it was and consider a remark if it was close. I think I'll find out about English Lit too; I expected about 3B's but I wasn't expecting one in that and I want to take it for AS at least. Nothing to do with my A Levels but I'm tempted to get RE done - 2 marks off of A*. Ouch.
    Last edited by Kim; 21-08-2008 at 21:26.

Thanks I am definitely going to do that! I think I will get Drama re-marked while I am at it!

EDIT:
    Btw I went on the links and it said the search has timed out! When searching please can you tell me what you typed.. Anything specific? x
    Sorry, didn't realise it would do that.

Go onto UCAS and onto the course search. Choose degree level, and pick what area you want (I think i picked south-east). And then i searched for words like Finance, Economics, Buisness etc. Once you find a university that you think might have a few courses you like, go onto google and find their websites, and look on there. Cause they have more information on the websites, rather than on UCAS.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (21-08-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I got a grade lower in my Business than I was expecting too. I've never had anything lower than an A* in it so I think I'll find out how close it was and consider a remark if it was close. I think I'll find out about English Lit too; I expected about 3B's but I wasn't expecting one in that and I want to take it for AS at least. Nothing to do with my A Levels but I'm tempted to get RE done - 2 marks off of A*. Ouch.
    Remember, your remark always stands. So if your remark is lower than your original grade, then you are stuck with it. As Spicy had a lower grade than you, there is more chance of her getting extra marks. But if you have an A or a B then theres no point, cause your not gonna go up by much.

Plus, you have to pay for it. And its not cheap. They usually charge you by the module.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:

Kim (21-08-2008)

^ That is an important point worth remembering. Our biology teacher investigated how much a remark would be for the unit 6 that we all failed in January. For Edexcel it's £35 per paper.

Kim, there's little point in getting a remark in the hope of getting a few more points. You stand a greater chance of losing marks and going down a grade.

Spicy, does it really matter if you got lower than you expected? I wouldn't even consider resitting a GCSE when I'm taking an A level in the same subject. If you do want a remark you need to contact your exams officer ASAP as there is a deadline for submitting remark requests. The only GCSEs we were allowed to take (and were made to if we got lower than a C) were English and maths.

You'd probably have to do the study in your own time and pay for all the exams yourself.
    Thanks CrazyLea

The deadline is Sept 30th. I am going to contact the school tomorrow morning and sort it out.
    I have decided not to re-take Business as most of you have already said, I am taking it for A level so why re-take the GCSE! A good point I totally missed !
    It's not just that it was lower than my expected grade I just feel it's not right so I want to get it remarked as I believe I did better than that.. I don't mind forking out £70.. Mum and Dad seem okay with my decision too so they might pay for it.

Also I heard if you get a remark and it does go up they refund you. If this is true then you've probably got more chance than me of getting a refund. I might just speak to my Business teacher as she said she'd be shocked if I got an A and would have a very high one remarked as she doubts with a high A that I'd go down to a B. If she says leave it then I will, there's people with much less than I got. If she says to remark then I'll have a serious think about it.

And not to put a downer on anything, but once you get to A Level, no one really looks at GCSE. Unless you apply to Oxbridge or LSE. So as long as you have the grades you need to get into your A Level courses, then theres not really much point wasting your time/money on improving them further.

Thread Information