Thread: HIV Plot For Hollyoaks

HIV Plot For Hollyoaks

Hollyoaks's Malachy Fisher is to be diagnosed as HIV positive.

The character always thought he was invincible to STDs, but his past comes back to haunt him in episodes to be screened next month.

Malachy's (Glen Wallace) relationship with Mercedes McQueen (Jennifer Metcalf) is put at risk when he goes to give blood and the results reveal his diagnosis. However, he refuses to face up to the news and goes missing, prompting a scorned Mercedes to sleep with his brother Kris (Gerard McCarthy) for revenge.

Talking about the storyline, Wallace commented: "When you consider how many people are affected by HIV and AIDS, it makes you realise that while there have been huge medical breakthroughs in treatment, we still need to keep education and information in the spotlight.

"We have a fantastic opportunity to do this with Malachy’s storyline as it’s a relevant and very much a real-life issue."

McCarthy, whose character will undertake the PEP anti-HIV treatment after being exposed to the disease, said: "Before reading the scripts, I was unaware of the medical developments made to help people living with HIV.

"There are a lot of myths surrounding this issue and we are hoping to dispel quite a few, but at the same time tell a very heartfelt story of two brothers on a frightening journey together."

Malachy receives his diagnosis in an episode to be screened on September 8.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

StarsOfCCTV (17-08-2008), tammyy2j (11-08-2008)

this sounds like another excellent storyline from hollyoaks and a very important issue to touch upon, no doubt they'll do this justice.
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

I really thought they would have given it to JP or Kieron (I don't mean this in anyway offensive) Its just that they are Steoretypically in that catagory?

That sounds terrible, even though i didnt mean it though

*runs off before the slating comes*

Quote Originally Posted by gatermelody View Post
    I really thought they would have given it to JP or Kieron (I don't mean this in anyway offensive) Its just that they are Steoretypically in that catagory?

Yes i thought it would be given to Kris/Frances (bisexual) or Mercedes (sex addict) but i agree its a good storyline for Hollyoaks

Had they not done this storyline before? Cant remember who it was or whether they were given the all clear but just seems fimilair.

mmmmmmmmmmm.

Just because it's stereotypical, it doesn't mean you have to be sleeping around nor bisexual to contrct HIV, you only need to sleep with 1 person or share needles with 1 person to contract it.

But hey this is hollyoaks.

I think too many people believe it wont happen to them, you could be having your first sexual experience then you wake up with that nightmare. I think alot more people should pluck that courage up and get tested. Now there is alot more help and support out there.

i thought he had the scare but that was Kris and it was when psycho will had put it in the computer and he wasnt HIV it was a joke, that wasnt very funny.

Holltyoaks have tackled loads of issues so i have know doubt it will be handled really well.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post

Yes i thought it would be given to Kris/Frances (bisexual) or Mercedes (sex addict) but i agree its a good storyline for Hollyoaks

Great storyline for hollyoaks to be doing, and im really glad that it isnt keiron or john paul they are giving it too! Good way to show that everyone is at risk from catching HIV

Looking forward to this storyline - glad they aren't going down a predictable route and giving the storyline to John Paul or Keiron. I am confident Hollyoaks will tackle this issue well and educate viewers on the subject at the same time.

Thread Information