Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Brookie, do you remember this?

Former Brookside star Brian Regan has been cleared of a gangland murder.

The 54-year-old was however jailed for four years and ten months for his role in the shooting of 44-year-old nightclub doorman Bahman Faraji.

Regan, who drove the getaway car, was convicted for two counts of perverting the course of justice by lying to police and disposing of a pair of gloves he wore on the night of the killing.

Sent to prison on January 25, judge Nicola Davies has only now disclosed the facts of the case to avoid prejudicing the trial of another defendant, Jason Gabbana, who on Thursday was convicted of murder.

The former soap actor told the court that he was addicted to cocaine and had started dealing the class-A drug at the time of the incident.

Regan, who starred as Terry Sullivan in the Channel 4 serial between 1982 and 1997, was charged in connection with the killing last April.

His trial began in October.

Claire Sweeney has said that Brookside should have never been cancelled.

The Liverpool-set soap ran from 1982 to 2003 and Sweeney played Lindsey Corkhill from 1991 to 2001, before returning for the final episode.

"I don't think it should ever have been decommissioned," the actress told Digital Spy of the show.

"It was groundbreaking drama. You get new controllers who come in who want to make their name and it got dropped, which was such a shame."

Asked if she was proud of her work on the show, Sweeney added: "Oh God yeah, really proud.

"[Creator] Phil Redmond - he was fantastic. His work and the team of writers he had on board, like Jimmy McGovern. And wonderful actors and writers on board. I'm so proud to have been part of it."

Asked if any of her character's storylines will feature in the planned Brookside 30th anniversary DVD, she said: "I hope so, I keep getting tweets about it.

"I really, really hope so. It's a massive part of my life Brookside, and I probably wouldn't be here talking to you if it wasn't for Brookside."

Of reports a few years ago that she may appear in Hollyoaks, Sweeney laughed: "Aye, I read that one, I didn't know about it until I read it!

"Who knows - if it was a nice part and good, gritty role, you never know!"

Paul Burrell has claimed that Brookside was Princess Diana's favourite TV programme.

The Princess of Wales's former butler attempted to refute the 'myth' that EastEnders was Diana's best-loved show.

Burrell, speaking a month after the 15th anniversary of the royal's death, told the Huffington Post: "Brookside was her favourite and she met most of the cast.

"She went to the set of Brookside and got to know some of the cast very well, especially Dean Sullivan, who played Jimmy Corkhill on the show. He became a friend, who she regularly telephoned."

Regarding the princess's supposed thoughts on EastEnders, Burrell commented: "Maybe in the very beginning she did tune into it, but it wasn't something that she would want to watch regularly."

The 54-year-old, who last grabbed the public's attention during his stint on I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here in 2004, also spoke candidly about his friendship with EastEnders actress Barbara Windsor.

"When Barbara Windsor first joined EastEnders, she used to read bedtime stories to my boys at Kensington Palace. She used to come to see my boys when they were about 10 and 7," Burrell recalled.

"They were fully aware of who she was. She's charming. Barbara is still a good friend of mine. We've had a lot of fun."

Paul Burrell has claimed that Brookside was Princess Diana's favourite TV programme.

The Princess of Wales's former butler attempted to refute the 'myth' that EastEnders was Diana's best-loved show.

Burrell, speaking a month after the 15th anniversary of the royal's death, told the Huffington Post: "Brookside was her favourite and she met most of the cast.

"She went to the set of Brookside and got to know some of the cast very well, especially Dean Sullivan, who played Jimmy Corkhill on the show. He became a friend, who she regularly telephoned."

Regarding the princess's supposed thoughts on EastEnders, Burrell commented: "Maybe in the very beginning she did tune into it, but it wasn't something that she would want to watch regularly."

The 54-year-old, who last grabbed the public's attention during his stint on I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here in 2004, also spoke candidly about his friendship with EastEnders actress Barbara Windsor.

"When Barbara Windsor first joined EastEnders, she used to read bedtime stories to my boys at Kensington Palace. She used to come to see my boys when they were about 10 and 7," Burrell recalled.

"They were fully aware of who she was. She's charming. Barbara is still a good friend of mine. We've had a lot of fun."

Thread Information