Thread: Hollyoaks Mental Health Story

Lightbulb Hollyoaks Mental Health Story

*title is meant to be Hollyoaks tackles mental health story sorry

Hollyoaks will deal with mental health in a storyline to be screened later this year.

The character Newt (Nico Mirallegro) is diagnosed with schizophrenia in an episode that will air in August.

Last month, viewers discovered that Newt's friend Eli (Marc Silcock) wasn't real, but his mental state will deteriorate further in upcoming episodes.

When foster father Jack Osbourne (Jimmy McKenna) fakes his own death in an insurance scam, Newt believes he must have been responsible for 'killing' Jack.

He becomes even more confused when he receives a phone call and hears Jack's voice on the other end.

Commenting on the storyline, Mirallegro said: "Newt is distraught when he hears Jack's voice on the phone. He convinces himself he must have killed his foster dad in someway and is now hearing voices from the grave!"

He added: "It's been amazing to have been involved in such a great storyline and I've enjoyed the challenge of playing a character with schizophrenia. I hope the viewers enjoy it too."

Paul Corry, Director of Public Affairs at mental health charity RETHINK, commented: "It's great that Hollyoaks is addressing the experience of schizophrenia. One in 100 young people will go through the frightening experience of psychosis just like Newt - that's about ten in the average secondary school, it could be one of your mates.

"So it's a good chance to ask yourself, how would you react if someone you care about got ill like Newt?"
    Last edited by StarsOfCCTV; 08-07-2008 at 16:30.
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

We were right then!
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Quote Originally Posted by StarsOfCCTV View Post
    When foster father Jack Osbourne (Jimmy McKenna) fakes his own death in an insurance scam, Newt believes he must have been responsible for 'killing' Jack.

He becomes even more confused when he receives a phone call and hears Jack's voice on the other end.
    omg, poor Newt! for once he hasn't done something crazy and this tips him over the edge!

Awww Bless Newt, and yeah looks like our theories were right

Theories? It was pretty obvious he is mentally ill. I'm really glad Hollyoaks are addressing this subject. So far they have done an excellent, I hope they keep it up. The actor who plays Newt is very convincing
    Medical School Guide Forums
    Soapboards approved link - rimmer

i think he is very convincing as well, hes a great actor. It should be good Hollyoaks always tackles subjects like this well.

I agree. Not manay soaps tackle it in such a good way as Hollyoaks has.
    Medical School Guide Forums
    Soapboards approved link - rimmer

Thread Information