Neighbours star Natalie Blair has admitted that she is "itching" to leave the Aussie soap.

The actress announced last week that she is quitting her role as Carmella Cammeniti to pursue new projects.

Natalie has now said that she is experiencing a "wave of emotions" in the run-up to filming her final scenes in eight weeks' time.

Speaking to the Courier Mail newspaper, she added: "I've gone through times where I've thought, 'Oh no, I'm getting sad, maybe I shouldn't leave'. But it feels so right now. I'm itching to leave."

Producers have confirmed that the door will be left open for Natalie to return in the future.

A spokesperson for Network Ten, which screens Neighbours in Australia, said: "Obviously, we've loved having Natalie on the show all these years and we're really sad to see her go. We wish her all the best for her future endeavours and hope to see her on Ramsay Street again one day in the future."

Model Erin McNaught recently completed work as Carmella's cousin Sienna on the show. Meanwhile, Pippa Black, who plays Elle Robinson, has also announced that she is leaving this year.