Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Barlow

Peter is an ungrateful man

Coronation Street's Peter Barlow receives a shock in the New Year as Tina McIntyre announces that she is leaving Weatherfield, just days after they have reignited their passion.

Tina (Michelle Keegan) vows to make a fresh start in London after realising that Peter will always put his marriage to Carla before her.

Here, Chris Gascoyne - who plays Peter - reveals how his character reacts to Tina's bombshell.

Does Peter have any regrets about marrying Carla?
    "I wouldn't say he has regrets about marrying Carla. She's the love of his life and I think he always intended to go through with it. If anything, he's maybe just relieved the wedding is over. Carla had become quite obsessed by the planning of it all. Even though it was Peter she was marrying, he was almost jealous of the attention Carla was paying to it!"

What are his feelings for Tina? Marriage hasn't really stopped him wanting to pursue her…
    "While Carla was busy planning the wedding, Peter was given the chance to take his eye off the prize and had his head turned by someone who he felt was more understanding of him at that time. The problem with Peter is temptation. He can never resist, and he just couldn't help himself when Tina was giving him so much attention before the wedding.

"But then since marrying Carla, I think Peter has been making an effort to end things with Tina. He tells her they need to quit while they are ahead. Whether he means it or not is another question - as far as he's concerned, he's technically doing the right thing by 'trying' to end it.

"Peter is also insanely jealous about Tina and Rob, but at first he tries to make out that it's because he's looking out for Tracy. But when he sees Tina getting out of a car with Rob, he ends up losing it. If Peter feels like something or someone he desires is slipping away from him, he doesn't like it."

Peter lashes out at Rob next week. What brings that about?
    "Peter has a go at Rob, but tries to do so in a way that sounds as if he's just looking out for Tracy. So when Rob nearly blows Peter's cover by mocking him for fancying the babysitter, Peter completely sees red.

"Ironically, I don't think Rob actually thinks Peter fancies Tina. He's just winding Peter up because he's created such an issue about Rob kissing her. Peter has to backpedal quite a bit after that. Tracy, Carla and Tina all demand to know what's got into him."

When Tina storms round to the flat to ask him what he's playing at, how does Peter react?
    "At that point, Peter has no choice but to admit to her that he's incredibly jealous of her and Rob and confesses that he madly desires her. Tina finds that hard to resist. They both struggle to control themselves at that point."

When Peter hears someone coming up to the flat, how does he react?
    "They have to think very quickly. Luckily Peter's used to thinking on his feet and covering his tracks! In the end it turns out to be Roy, who has left a bag in their flat. Peter bundles him back out of the door and Roy's none the wiser, while Tina hides in the bedroom.

"It's Tina that struggles with that, I think. She's not used to being in this situation, while Peter is much calmer about it then she is. He has more experience and he's no stranger to being unfaithful!"

Does Peter want a full-blown affair with Tina?
    "When Peter tells Tina that he loves Carla and that he wants to forget about the kiss they had, he does means it to an extent. He has no intention of leaving Carla. He loves his wife, although he does desire Tina. I think where he's getting the best of both and not getting caught, he's fine with that - but the worst thing that could happen would be for Carla to detect it."

Is Peter considering Tina's feelings in this at all?
    "He does tell Tina that he loves Carla and won't leave her. I think he does that to spare Tina's feelings - he can probably tell she's falling for him a little bit. In Peter's mind, as long as he's warned Tina about how dangerous it could all get, then he's done all he can to protect her. It's up to her then if she wants to continue what they've got. He definitely doesn't take advantage of her in that way. "

Would you say Peter needs constant thrills like this?
    "Peter repeats all the same patterns and all the same mistakes over and over again. It's almost as if he can't handle things going well for him. He and Carla have had such a struggle to be together, and now they've finally got married, he's putting their relationship in jeopardy. He's got an addictive personality, and if temptation comes into his sight, he can't resist it. I doubt Peter will get away with it forever though. I've no doubt there'll be catastrophe on the horizon!"

How does Peter feel when Tina says she can't be around him and she's moving away?
    "Even though he's told her they have to keep their distance and that nothing should have ever happened between them, he really panics when Tina tells him she's moving away. Deep down he probably thought that something would happen between them again, despite him telling her it had to stop. He never thought she'd up and leave. He might say he doesn't want her, but he does - and when he starts to feel as though he could lose her, he wants her even more."

Would he try and make her stay?
    "I think he would set out on a charm offensive to make her stay. He'd probably tell her not to uproot because of him."

If it came to it, would Peter choose Tina or Carla?
    "I think Tina's already tried to push for that. Even just before the wedding she told him he didn't have to go through with it - but he did. Carla's his wife but Tina's his temptation. If it came down to it, Peter would know which side his bread was buttered."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (24-12-2013)

To give peter his due he is trying hard to resist her. She keeps pushing him and most men would'nt say no in that situation.

Carla is too good and generous to him.

Peter can't help himself he's womaniser alwys has been always will be. It's just a matter of time before he goes after Leanne again.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

Perdita (01-01-2014), tammyy2j (07-01-2014)

I really despise Peter lately the way he is behaving, yes he was always a womaniser but never this heartless and cruel with his lies and behaviour

it takes two to tango and Tina was doing all the running at the beginning remember when he was'nt having any of it. Although I am not a fan of either of them!

kill him off

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I really despise Peter lately the way he is behaving, yes he was always a womaniser but never this heartless and cruel with his lies and behaviour
    I blame the writers! Peter doesn't seem like this at heart.

i am not impressed with the producer no interesting story lines at the moment

Thread Information