Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clive Hornby Dead

SOAP stars were in tears last night as Emmerdale legend Clive Hornby — who played tragedy-dogged Jack Sugden for 28 years — died aged 63.

He was suffering from hypoxia, a complication of the later stages of cancer.

Bosses and co-stars were stunned to hear that their longest-serving cast member had passed away in a Leeds hospice.
    The “incredibly private” actor had been too ill to film since January, but had vowed to be back on set.

Producer Anita Turner said: “This is devastating. He loved Emmerdale and we talked about how he’d return.

“I saw him on Tuesday and we were joking about how he’d walk in and surprise everyone.”

Liverpool-born Clive started in showbiz as a drummer in 1960s band The Dennisons, sharing a bill with The Beatles.

He arrived in Emmerdale in 1980 on a three-month deal and went on to appear in some of its most dramatic scenes.

His character Jack — a nice-guy farmer but with a fiery temper — lost first wife Pat in a crash and second wife Sarah in a barn arson, which saw him held for murder.

He was shot by his son and his third screen wife Diane — who escaped death twice — cheated on him with killer Billy Hopwood.

Throughout all, Clive never once replaced his trademark flat cap.

He said recently: “Believe it or not, I still wear the same cap — the one I was given on my first day.”

In real life, Clive wed actress Helen Weir — who played Jack’s first wife Pat — and they had a son Tom, now 22.

The couple divorced in 2000.

The actor was much-loved by his co-stars.

Pal Chris Chittell, who plays miser Eric Pollard, said: “Clive had a wicked sense of humour. He was not only a great contributor to the show but also to all our lives.”

In the soap, Jack is visiting his mum Annie in Spain. Producers will now have to find a way to write him out.

A source said: “We’ve yet to make a decision. We were expecting Clive to return.”

Emmerdale' stars attend Hornby's funeral

Cast members from Emmerdale have joined Clive Hornby's family at his funeral.

The actor passed away earlier this month following a mystery illness.

Elizabeth Estensen, who plays his on screen wife Diane, read a eulogy at the service at Rawdon Crematorium in Leeds.

Kelvin Fletcher (Andy Sugden) also paid his respects, along with former stars Claire King (Kim Tate) and Malandra Burrows (Kathy Bates).

Hornby joined the cast of the soap, then called Emmerdale Farm, as Jack Sugden in 1980, taking over the role from Andrew Burt.

Originally hired on a three-month contract, he went on to become the longest-serving cast member in the show's history.

Several Emmerdale stars earlier paid tribute to Hornby, with Chis Chittell (Eric Pollard) describing him as "a very private and courageous man and not only a great contributor to the show but to all our lives".

Still can't believe that he's died.
    Thanks CrazyLea

R.I.P. Clive - he was such a great character and actor. It feels like there's something missing to the show now.

RIP Clive Hornby

Where is Jack Sudgen suppose to be??? Will he die in Emmerdale also?

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    RIP Clive Hornby

Where is Jack Sudgen suppose to be??? Will he die in Emmerdale also?
    He is in Spain visiting his mum. They will have to do something about him, he is still Diane's husband and of course, there is Andy.
    Spoiler:
    Andy is going to Spain to visit him soon, expect he comes home with the news that he has passed away

It could be months before they decide what to do with Jack character. One rumour going around is that they are thinking of bringing back the origanal Jack after 28 years. Bad idea I think. When Stan Richards (Seth Armstrong) died it was almost a year after his death that Emmerdale writers wrote Seth's death into a storyline. They will have to meet with Clive's family to discuss the best tribute to him.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I think its too soon to be thinking of killing him off on scene for both the viewers, and the cast, in light of his recent death. I hope they do Clive justice when they finally decide what to do with Jack....something fitting like they did with Seth.

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

Thread Information