Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 36.36%
  • NO

14 63.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever lied on a CV?

No never, id have to remember what i lied about and my memory just isnt that good LOL

I havent told huge porkies but have made my skills sound better than they are
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

I didn't lie on the CV I created a few months ago, but I would like to think in the future that I wouldn't need to lie. I would be too afraid of getting caught out, maybe slightly twisting the truth would be better if need be.

I never have but i'm begining to think maybe i should as i have had nothing on the job front and maybe it is really rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I never have but i'm begining to think maybe i should as i have had nothing on the job front and maybe it is really rubbish.
    I'm sure it's not Katy. Did you get a template off Google to do your CV on? I did and I found that really helped as it kept my CV organised and laid out nicely. How many jobs have you applied too with your CV? ... I wouldn't give in just yet..it would be far worse if you lied and then got caught out.

I find that employers like it when prospective candidates get some information on the company they wish to work for. It is possible to perhaps telephone for an appointment before interviews are being held to speak to the present job holder or somebody in the department and have a look around the workplace you might get. This shows you are really interested in working for the company, doing the job you have applied for and might just give you the edge over some other candidate. Stress that you are willing to undergo any training that is needed if you have not got all the qualifications or experience they would like but emphasise what you are good at already.

ive never lied, as other people have said, id be too scared of getting caught out! i can understand lying about your interests or saying youre organised or something when youre not, cos you can probably get away with that, but lying about qualifictions or other jobs youve had is stupid cos surely youre likely to get found out
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

I have never lied on my CV there is no point you will be found out eventually. Hardwork and honesty is always the best way.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Brown’s advice on CV fibs

GORDON Brown yesterday broke off from the oil crisis and 42-day detention row to speak on Britain’s most hotly debated issue – should Lee McQueen really have won The Apprentice?

He took a pause from international politics to share his thoughts on the show – in which Lee was hired despite being caught lying on his CV.

And the PM told the nation’s job hopefuls: “I think people should tell the truth.”

Mr Brown spoke as other tycoons slammed Sir Alan Sugar for setting a bad example by hiring Lee, 30 – whose catchphrase is “That’s what I’m talkin’ about”.

But the Prime Minister said he still respected Sir Alan’s choice. He told his monthly press conference: “I think in this case someone exaggerated what they had done.

“Alan Sugar is perfectly capable of making his decisions and we should support him in his decision.

“But generally my advice to people is to tell the truth when they are applying for jobs.

“Because as was found in this case, it always comes out anyway.”

Nine million viewers saw chirpy salesman Lee win on Wednesday, a record for the BBC1 show.

Bolshie retail buyer Claire Young, 29, had been favourite to scoop the £100,000 job with the tycoon.

And many viewers thought milkman’s son Lee had blown his chance when his CV fib was rumbled. He claimed he was at Thames Valley University for two years – in reality he lasted two months.

But Sir Alan overlooked that to hand him a job in his new digital advertising business.

Yesterday other leading businessmen said they would not hire an applicant who told porkies on their CV.

Duncan Bannatyne, 59, entrepreneur and star of BBC2’s Dragons’ Den, said: “I wouldn’t employ anyone who had lied.

“I’m very angry about the message Sir Alan has sent out by hiring Lee as his Apprentice. In business honesty is key to success.”

Fellow dragon Theo Paphitis, 48, said: “I would never employ anyone who lies on their CV.

“If they can lie about that, how can you be sure that they won’t lie about other things? It would be difficult to fully trust them again.”

Co-star Peter Jones, 42, added: “If someone can lie to that extent, how are they going to be managed when given a job? I’d have fired Lee there and then.”

Meanwhile Yo! Sushi founder Simon Woodroffe, 56, said: “If someone lies on their CV you’d wonder what else they’d lie about.”

But nightclub mogul Peter Stringfellow, 67, said: “I would employ someone who had lied on their CV. To me it’s just a document which is there to guide you.”

He added: “I am sure most people have exaggerated on their CVs – even the Prime Minister.”

No, I wouldn't lie about qualifications or jobs I'd had because it's kinda pointless, you're not going to be right for the job of you have to make stuff up!

Thread Information