Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Freshers (New 10 Part Drama Series)

Oooh this is good so far. It's great that we are seeing an insight into the main character, giving us the foundations of the entire series. I think I am going to warm to Alex.

Good start.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DaVeyWaVey For This Useful Post:

Bryan (01-06-2008)

Its a great start, I can't wait to read more.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

Bryan (02-06-2008)

Think I am going to enjoy this.. very good so far BB..
    Super Mod

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Bryan (02-06-2008)

Love it, love it, love it but can you hurry up with the next bit!!!

Episode 1 - New Beginnings

INT. DEANE’S HOUSE – MORNING

Alex walks into the living room and puts the post down on the coffee table. William is sat doing the crossword in his newspaper.

Alex: Morning dad.

William: Hello darling, that the post?

Alex: Yeah, it’s just bills. Did you sleep well?

William: Not really, same as always, blooming pains.

Alex: You should get yourself to the doctor.

William: Ah it’s nothing a good old spliff wont cure.

Alex: You’re not having any of that again! You just need to look at Jordan to see what it does to you!

INTERCUT:

EXT. PARK BENCH – DAY

Alex (Voice Over): Oh yes. I forget to mention – Jordan.

Jordan, lies underneath a park bench, spaced out, as the world goes on around him.

Alex (Voice Over): My no hoper pothead brother. All he’s ever succeeded at is failing. No GCSES, no future prospects, he spends his benefits on spliff, and lives in his own dream world. About as helpful as herpes.

A drunken hobo hobbles by, and urinates down the side of the bench, oblivious to Jordan being underneath it. Jordan remains where he is, a smile on his zoned out face as urine puddles up around him.

INTERCUT:

Alex walks into the kitchen and starts to cook breakfast. William picks up the post, and takes out the letter from the university.

William: Here, what’s this?

Alex: Oh it’s nothing dad.

William: It’s from Solent, hey did you get in?

Alex: Yeah, but it doesn’t matter dad.

William: Of course it does! Congratulations Alex! I’m so proud of you!

Alex: Yeah well, it’s not like I’m going to go.

William: Of course you are! Don’t be so silly! You’ve worked hard to get yourself here!

Alex: Yeah dad, but I’ve other responsibilities.

William: Like what? I wont have you throwing away a chance to make a future for yourself.

Alex: I can’t just up and leave you dad.

William: Is that what’s it about eh? Me? You haven’t got to worry about me.

Alex: Of course I have, who else is going to look after you? Jordan?

William: I’ve already talked about this with your aunt Lucy, she said she’d put in a couple of hours a day helping me around the house.

Alex: That’s not enough dad, you need constant care!

William: I’m not a total invalid you know Alex, I can fend for myself.

Alex: But you shouldn’t have to, I should be hear looking after you.

William: Bless you my darling, but I can’t expect you to spend your life looking after me. I want you to go to university and have the time of your life.

Alex: Well maybe I don’t wont to…

William: Tough, because you are? Okay? It’s about time I let you go and enjoy yourself, you’ve done so much for me kid, you’ve earnt it.

Alex: But what if you get ill? What if you need me?

William: Halls are only half an hour away; all I need to do is give you a call. But honestly bab’, I’m gonna be fine, don’t you worry about me. Us Deanes are made of strong stuff you know.

Alex: I really don’t know dad, I mean I want to go to uni, of course I do, but…

William: Alex. Enough already, you’re going, and you’re gonna love every minute of it, d’ya hear me?

Alex looks at her father with deep affection, he grabs hold of her hand and holds it tight, smiling at her.

Alex: Thanks dad.

William: Come here.

The pair hug one another. Close up of Alex who looks happy, yet uneasy at the same time.

Alex (Voice Over): Maybe I’m going to get my chance after all. God – what am I letting myself in for?

EXT. STUDENT HALLS – DAY

Alex walks through the gates to the student halls, a large bag pack on her back, and a couple of smaller bags in her hands.

She looks up at the student flats, several stories high and continues walking. All around her students and their parents are carrying bags and boxes into the different blocks.

Alex stops outside Drake Block, looking back at her accommodation letter to check she’s at the right place.

Outside Micky Murphy is lying against the brick wall, getting off with a girl. Alex smiles to herself at the sight of young love.

INTERCUT:

INT. STUDENT HALLS - DAY

A few minutes later Alex opens the door to her floor, taking her first steps into the corridor of her flat. Several doors are open, with piles of bags, pots and pans scattered everywhere.

Alex heads towards her room, the strong Scottish accent of Jess Hilson can be heard blasting out into the corridor. Alex’s walk’s past, as Jess is arguing with her mother and stepfather.

Jess: Oh, why don’t you just go **** yourself Karl!?

Karl: Oh shut up you ****ing little punk bitch!

Jess: Are you gonna let him talk to me like that mom!?

Choosing to avoid the drama Alex carries on to her room. She puts down her bags and digs into her pocket for her keys. She overhears Ash Haseem’s parents lecturing her from the room next door.

Mrs Haseem: Now you remember that you have a religion to abide by Ashba. Don’t you go letting anybody corrupt your morals, do you understand!?

Ash: Yes mom.

Mr Haseem: No drinking, no drugs, no boys, is that clear?

Ash: Yes dad.

INTERCUT:

INT. HALLS (ALEX’S ROOM) – DAY

Alex unlocks her door and walks into her room. It is plain and empty, except for the basic pieces of furniture. She takes a sniff of the musky air and opens a window.

She takes the bagpack off her back and sits down on the mattresses. She takes a deep breath and smiles to herself. Day one begins.

Apologies for swearing in this scene, wont usually be this bad, it's just to show the lifestyle Jess is used to.

INT. HALLS (JESS’S ROOM) – DAY

Jess Hilson is stood in her room with her mother Mary and step-father Karl. She is dressed in punk clothing, with dyed hair and a lip piercing.

Mary is helping Jess unpack her things, whilst Karl sits on his ****, getting in the way. The room is filled with strong Scottish accents, as they throw insults at one another.

Jess: Are you actually gonna help us unpack Karl, or you gonna stay sitting on your fat **** all afternoon?

Karl: Oh shut up Jess! (Mutters) Stupid bitch…

Jess: Oh, why don’t you just go **** yourself Karl!?

Karl: Oh shut up you ****ing little punk bitch!

Jess: Are you gonna let him talk to me like that mom!?

Mary: Will the pair of you just stop arguing!? Honestly! Can’t you just get on, for my sake!?

Jess stares at Karl with contempt, before smiling at him.

Jess: Never.

Karl: Well the feeling’s ****ing mutual, you dirty little greeb.

Jess: One minute I’m a punk? Then I’m a grebe!?

Karl: **** you!

Jess: **** you right back!

Mary: Oh for ****’s sake, the pair of you! Just give it a ****ing rest will you!?

Jess: Coming to uni is the best thing ever if it means leaving him behind.

Mary: Oh don’t say that Jess, he’s done a lot for you…

Jess: Yeah, sure he has.

Karl: I’ve driven all the way across the ****ing country for you!

Jess: Yeah and I’ve give you petrol money, but you’ll only piss it away down the pub!

Karl: The sooner we leave you here, the ****ing better!

Jess: D’ya know what, maybe by Christmas mom will have realised what a ****ing bell end you are, and kicked you out!

Mary: Right! That’s it! Karl, go and sit in the car, I’ve had enough of this!

Karl: But she ****ing started it!

Mary: (Loud) And I’m ****ing finishing it! Now go! And if I catch you wanking off to Razzle I’ll shove the ****ing magazine you’re throat, d’ya hear me!?

Mary throws the car keys at Karl. Jess looks at him smugly as he leaves. She is left alone with her mother.

Mary: I don’t know Jess, it upsets me to see you too arguing all the time.

Jess: He’s such a ****ing moron mom, I don’t get what you see in him?

Mary: When you get to my age, you settle for anything. You should learn not to rise to him.

Jess: Whatever mom. If you’d let me live with dad…

Mary: No chance. Hopefully this time away will help clear the air between you and Karl. I’m not having you two fing and blinding over the Queens Speech again this year, d’ya hear me?

Jess doesn’t respond.

Mary: You’re such an angry young woman Jess, I wish you’d loose this attitude and be a nicer person…

Jess: Is it any wonder why I am the way I am, having to put up with him, and pricks like him that judge me every day of my life!?

Mary: Hey! I brought you up to be stronger than that! **** what others think and say, hold you head up high, and be proud of who you are.

Jess doesn’t want to discuss the matter further, it’s clearly something that upsets her.

Jess: Isn’t it time you got going mom?

Mary: Are you gonna be ok here?

Jess: I’ll be fine mom. Go.

Not wanting to show her emotions, she tries to hurry her mother out.

Mary: You take good care of yourself, and keep in touch. If you need anything…

Jess: Mom. Go.

Mary gives Jess a hug and a kiss, before leaving, coming over all emotional.

Jess sits down on the bed, feeling vulnerable following her mother’s intimate chat with her. She looks at herself in the mirror.

Jess: Get a ****ing grip of yourself Jess.

She takes a deep breath, frizzes up her air and gets up, continuing to unpack her things.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

moonstorm (02-06-2008)

cool!!! I love it..
    Super Mod

Looking good Bryan. It's gonna be another cracker.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

This is awesome! Think I'm really gonna like this..

Made me laugh when Mary said "Not having you to fing and blinding over the Queens Speech again this year" .

I really like Jess already. She may be a little angry, but obv there's more to her! Can't wait for the next bit!

Thread Information