Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Freshers (New 10 Part Drama Series)

Freshers (New 10 Part Drama Series)

Starting Next Week On Soapboards...

Drugs, drink, parties, sex, clubbing, sleeping,raves and deadlines! Welcome to university life!

Freshers is an exciting new drama about a group of first year university students at Southampton Solent University. Taking their first steps into the real world, the gang soon realise that life isn't so smooth when you're in control of your own future.

"Move over Steve McQueen & co, there’s a new magnificent seven in town, and they’re so hardcore, they make you look like pussycats" Heat Magazine!

Alex has spent her life caring her for MS suffering father, she’s not had much of a childhood, so uni is a whole new way of life for her. Everyone she meets is wild and wacky in their own ways, with lives complicated enough to give Freud a headache.

To make matters worse lecturers are just are dysfunctional as their students. Uni life keeps certainly keeps Alex and her friends on their feet. But no matter what happens - one thing will help them get through their problems - their friendships with one another.
    Last edited by Bryan; 31-05-2008 at 12:23.

Looks exciting. I look forward to giving it a read.

Looks really good. Can't wait! Love the banner you made too!

This sounds great. Is it based on any of your friends at uni?
    Thanks CrazyLea

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjHfcvQmcTc"]YouTube - FRESHERS[/ame]

Alex Deane (Jessica Fox)

Hometown: Southampton

Studying: Psychology

Alex is a kind-hearted young woman, who’s lived a troubled life. Her father, whom she is extremely close to has brought her and her elder brother up single handily, but is now suffering from MS. Alex has spent the majority of her teenage years caring for her family – missing out on all the fun that most youngsters have. She is head strong and independent, but coming to university is a completely new lifestyle for her.

Jack Bevan (Alex Turner)

Hometown: London

Studying: Popular Music Performance

Jack is the epitimy of your 21st century indie rocker boy. Incredibly gifted with a guitar, Jack’s talent for music is his life. Fronting a band back home, he uses his music as a way to escape the monotony of her perfect suburban family life. Relaxed and laid back, Alex has always taken life as it comes, he’s always been popular and always been cool.

Lydia Hughes (Anna Brewster)

Hometown: Buckinghamshire

Studying: Performance.

Lydia is the very definition of the spoilt little rich girl. Coming from an upper class family, Lydia is daddy’s little princess, and likes to think herself of some what on an IT girl with her expensive clothes and lavish lifestyle. A full on party animal, who knows how to have a good time, drink and drugs are her best friends. She’s had countless one-night stands, but behind all of this she is incredibly insecure, with a dark and troubled past.

Micky Murphy (Ed Spleers)

Hometown: Dublin

Studying: Psychology

Young, free and single – just the way he likes it. There’s no denying that Micky is a good-looking lad, just a pity he lets it get to his head sometimes. Confident Micky’s a cheeky Irish chappy with an eye for the ladies. A harmless Jack the lad who has a reputation with the ladies. Always up for a laugh, a flirt and a couple of pills, Micky is popular amongst his friends and even more popular among the ladies.

Jessica ‘Jess’ Hilson (Jaime Winston)

Hometown: Glasgow

Studying: Fashion with Photography

Full of hormonal rages and teenage angst, Jess refuses to be given a label or conform to any of societies conventions. Confident and gutsy, Jess isn’t afraid to speak her mind and stand up for her beliefs. Despite being fiercely loyal to her friends, Jess hides her emotions, and never let’s anyone in. Behind her hard exterior is a vulnerable soul, with years of rejection from her mother eating away at her.

Reese Davies (Mitch Hewer)

Studying: Law

Shy yet adorably sweet, Reese lack’s the confidence that everyone around him seems to have. Pushed into uni by his parents, Reese has never felt accepted by his family, and longs to earn their appraisal. Back home he has a girlfriend, Kelly, who he is smitten with, and being away from her proves to be difficult. It’s clear that uni isn’t an easy place for Reese to be, but with a helping hand from a few close friends, all is about to change.

Ashba “Ash” Haseem (Poojah Shah)

Hometown: Birmingham

Studying: Accountancy

No drink, no drugs and no boys, that doesn’t leave much for poor Ashba. Forever battling a big predicament – friends vs family - it’s hard to have fun when you’re forced to be a good Muslim girl. Scared to go against her parent’s wishes, Ashba is forced to stick to the rules of her religion, but uni is a new environment filled with open minded people, it’s the 21st century – it’s time to live a little, but the transition wont go without a few harsh words from her parents.

Lecturers

Lisa Trueman (Lara Cazalet)

Lectures: Psychology

Warm, inspiring and always there to help a troubled student - Lisa is a true credit to her profession. Lisa lectures Psychology at Solent, and thoroughly enjoys her job. Unlike most Lisa cares for her students and wants them to reach their full potential. Lisa soon becomes Alex’s source for support and guidance, and helps her balance her uni work and domestic problems. Outside of uni, she has her own problems, her and husband Rich are desperate to have a baby, but nature seems to be going against them.

Richard ‘Rich’ Trueman (James Lance)

Lectures: Popular Music Performance

Jack’s music teacher, Rich is fast approaching 40, but is young at heart. Back in the day he was the leader singer in a band that never got anywhere – he used to drink and take drugs, but then he meet Lisa and his life changed for the better. Rich sees a lot of his younger self in Jack, and the pair’s love for music helps them form a strong bond, Rich takes Jack under his wing and mentors him, hoping he can get the success that he never had.

Marcus Wilks (Jason Merells)

Lectures: Fashion with photography.

Jess’s lecturer is having his midlife crisis, stuck in a job that he really doesn’t like, teaching unaspirings teens. Marcus has lived life and has wise words of wisdom for his pupils, if only they’d listen. When no one else seems to understand Jess, Marcus seems to be the only one making sense; soon enough to pair find themselves in risky territory.

Patricia Farrow (Helena Bonam-Carter)

Lectures: Performance

Patricia Farrow or “Batty Patty” as she’s better known is Lydia’s performance lecturer. Eccentric and doped up on anti depressants, Patricia’s methods of teaching are extremely unconventional. You can never be sure if she’ll make you recite one of the bard’s soliloquies, perform a scene from Eastenders or improvise being a tree. Outside of the drama studio Patricia’s life is just as dramatic as the lessons she teaches.

Others

“Weed”

Hometown: Bristol

Studying: Computing.

Technically James Rodgers is a mature student, but there’s no maturity beyond the title. Scruffy, stupid, and stoned 24/7, “weed” as he’s known by everyone on campus, is forever high on cannabis, and loves nothing more than a spliff and a gold old fashioned rave. He’s the man with the contacts, and the man with the simplest spaced out solutions to everyone’s problems.

Liam Jones (Sam Robertson)

Hometown: Newcastle

Studying: Performance.

On the same course as Lydia, Liam is openly gay and his confidence shines through. Surrounded by a big group of friends, Liam is one of the “cool” kids, his openness about his sexuality just adding to his appeal. Liam has a habit for liking boys he can’t have, and turning straight guys gay is one of his favourite pastimes.

Jayesh (Ray Panthaki)

Studying: Tv Production

Jayesh is a typical lad, and likes to consider himself as a player. He loves clubbing and flirting with the ladies. He soon finds himself making a play for Ash, but will she fall for his boystrous charms?

Kelly Cole (April Pearson)

Kelly is Reese’s girlfriend from back home, who comes to visit him some weekends, and becomes close to his flatmates. Lovely and lively are two words to describe Kelly, she’s madly in love with Reese, and finds the long distance situation hard at times.

Principle Karen Goldsmith (Raquel Cassidy)

The Principle of Southampton Solent. Karen strikes fear into all of her staff, and rules the unversity with an iron fist. The ice queen makes sure eveything is always running smoothly. Heaven help any staff or students that feel her wrath!

William Deane (Keith Allen)

Alex’s loving father, who has been a long term suffer of MS. William has brought Alex and her brother up almost single handily, since their mother left them when Alex was young. A kind and intelligent man, William cherishes Alex, and wants the best for his daughter, but his illness ultimately makes Alex reconsider university life.

ooh this sounds good ill look forward to reading it. Sounds alot like Bangor!

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    This sounds great. Is it based on any of your friends at uni?
    bits and bobs yeah, not entirely though, they'd kill me if i copied them for the very last detail. when your at uni you meet so many different characters, friends of friends etc, and random people you meet at parties, and from stories you hear, so much wacky stuff goes on, that would make for perfect story-telling

Lydia, the coke snorting alcholic is based on one of my ex flatmates though!!! my next door roomie

sounds good looking forward to reading it...

I'm writing the first episode atm, should be on Soapboards some time next week. Here is the first scene as a taster for you all.

INT. DEANE’S HOUSE – MORNING

Alarm clock sounds. Close up of Alex Deane, who stares directly at the camera.

Alex (Voice Over): I’m Alex. I’m 18. I guess this is all about me.

CUT TO:

EXT. BUS STOP – DAY

A group of chavs, dressed in their conventional get-up, loiter at a bus stop, graffiti on the timetables and intimidating an old lady who is sat waiting for the bus.

Alex (Voice Over): I’m not your typical run of the mill teenager. But judging on norm, is that really a bad thing?

Alex walks past the chavs, carrying a number of shopping bags from the local supermarket. Two chavs are tonguing one another senseless, whilst another lights his lighter up a dog’s ****.

The camera follows Alex as she walks down the street.

Alex (Voice Over): My life outside of college is…well I don’t have a life outside of college.

CUT TO:

INT. DEANE’S HOUSE – DAY

Alex packs away the shopping. She then starts cooking a meal.

Alex (Voice Over): All my spare time is spent looking after him.

Her dad William sits in an armchair watching Ready Steady Cook.

Alex (Voice Over): He’s my dad, and I love him to pieces. He’s got MS, so he can’t do much, I pretty much look after him all by myself.

CUT TO:

INT/EXT DEANE’S HOUSE – DAY (FLASHBACK)

Alex’s mother Tina is sprawled over the kitchen countertop as a big and muscular handyman humps away at her.

Alex (Voice Over): My nymphomaniac of a mother hasn’t been around for years.

Tina runs out of the house dressed in only her underwear. She looks on in horror as William throws all of her clothes out of the bedroom window.

Alex (Voice Over): She left when I was a baby, and went to live with a handyman called “Brad” in Milton Keynes.

Tina picks up her clothes and runs to Brad’s car, they drive off, leaving toddler Alex standing in the doorway alone. William soon joins her and wraps his arm around her.

Alex (Voice Over): Since then, it’s just been me and dad.

CUT TO:

INT. DEANE’S HOUSE – DAY

Alex sits in her bedroom, reading “Wothering Heights” by Emily Bronte.

Alex (Voice Over): You could say I’ve lived a sheltered life. All I’ve ever drunk is fizzy pop, all I’ve ever taken is paracemetmol, and the only sexual experience I’ve had is a poster of Gary Barlow when I was thirteen. I know I’m weird; I’m the only girl not to like Robbie Williams. See – told you I wasn’t normal.

Alex sits at her desk, writing thoughtfully into her diary.

Alex (Voice Over): One day I hope to see the world, to forget about my worries and just – live? You know? To do what everyone else my age is doing, to have fun, have friends, feel alive.

CUT TO:

INT. DEANE’S HOUSE – MORNING

The postman delivers the mail, Alex jogs down the stairs and picks up the letter from the doormat. She shuffles through them, most being bills. She picks out one addressed to her and opens it.

The letter confirms her place at Southampton Solent University to study Psychology, and gives her details of when to start and what to do. She smiles for a brief second, before looking over at her father in the living room.

Alex (Voice Over): But that’s not going to happen any time soon is it?

She takes a deep breath before putting it back in the envelope and forgetting about it.

Thread Information