Thread: Astigmatism & contact lenses

Question Astigmatism & contact lenses

To sum it up:
    I went to specsavers, had my eyes tested, consultation and teaching included, had my 5-day trial. Was told £40 for both eyes for daily disposables for 30 pairs.

I spoke about it with my mate who also has astigmatism (where the eye/cornea is shaped like a rugby ball than a football) and she says she wears Daysoftlenses.. She goes to a different optician and daysoftlenses (which cost like a tenner for both eyes (avaliable online on their site)) do not apparently do toric lenses (for astigmatism) yet she was told it was fine for her to wear them?
    Is this true because I would be saving like £30 if I were to get them and I am looking everywhere for something cheaper than £40.. around the £20 range and they have to be daily disposibles?

Thanks guys x

I was told I had to have torics for my astigmatism. They're one of the most expensive types.

Whats wrong with getting monthly disposables? I have them. They're a pain in the butt when I'm tired and can't be bothered to take them out but they're a lot cheaper than daily disposables. I pay £15 from Specsavers.

It will depend on your prescription. If her astigmatism isn't as bad as yours she may be able to get away with standard lenses.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Worst one is my right eye and I am like -1.75.. She's like -4 something in both eyes! So I am far better of than her

Oh and I want daily disposables as I only want to wear them every now and then but even so I don't want to go paying £40 for them! x
    Last edited by .:SpIcYsPy:.; 28-04-2008 at 21:35.

I have the exact same as you one eye is -1.75 and the other is -1.50
    I still go to specsavers I have the monthly ones so when they sent to me I get a 3 month pack for £30

I have astigmatism over my left eye now, but I don't wear contact just glasses. I can't bear the thought of putting anything in my eyes.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Whats wrong with getting monthly disposables? I have them. They're a pain in the butt when I'm tired and can't be bothered to take them out but they're a lot cheaper than daily disposables. I pay £15 from Specsavers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    I have the exact same as you one eye is -1.75 and the other is -1.50
    I still go to specsavers I have the monthly ones so when they sent to me I get a 3 month pack for £30
    Hey guys I am now considering getting the monthly or two-weekly one and I was just wondering how you guys manage when taking off makeup etc (if you wear eye make-up) and caring for the lenses..
    Do you have to take them out every morning and night or can you just leave them in?

Thanks! x

It doesnt make a difference really you just take your make up off then remove your lenses and give them a quick clean, your optician will show you how and you will do it and they have to know you can cope
    I dont sleep in mine, I take them out every out and put them in in the morning

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Abbie For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (17-01-2009)

It's a good idea to get make up remover suitable for contact lenses. It will say on the bottle if it is suitable.

I keep mine in when I have a sleep in the afternoon and when I have a shower I know I shouldn't but I'm too lazy to take them out and put them back in and I can see naff all if I take them out to have a shower.

You really shouldn't sleep in them, unless they are continuous wear. Your optician will explain it to you.

Go to Specsavers. They do sell monthly torics, I have them. For £15 a month (think it's gone down now) I get a set of lenses, case, bottle of soultion, two free check ups a year (regardless of age) and two free replacement lenses a year. All delivered to my door every three months.

My mum works at an independent opticians and they can't do the package I have for less than £40 a month. A box of 30 daily disposable lenses for both eyes is £40 there and £50 a Specsavers
    Last edited by Abigail; 17-01-2009 at 12:59.
    Thanks CrazyLea

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Do you know if they do Toric extended wear by any chance? I been looking online and I see it's on there but when I looked to buy them online from SpecSavers there isn't an option? Just want to be sure though :seachme:

I need to get my eyes tested again soon so I think I will check it out for sure then, I think it will be better during the summer so I can wear sunglasses when I learn to drive etc.

Specsavers only do monthly disposable torics and daily disposable.
    Thanks CrazyLea

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

Thread Information