Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass exodus from Corrie

Mass exodus from Corrie

CORRIE chiefs last night sensationally axed a string of characters — including the ENTIRE Morton family.

Kebab shop boss Jerry Morton and his whole clan got the boot after months of whispers their characters had not settled in well.

The family were introduced to the ITV1 soap only last year.

The mass exodus will see Jerry (played by Michael Starke), Mel (Emma Edmonson), Darryl (Johnny Dixon), Kayleigh (Jessica Bardon) and Finlay (Ramone Quinn) leave later this year.

The blitz also hits Jack Ellis and Matthew Compton, who play father and son bookies Harry and Dan Mason. They joined the Street in December but producers were swift to get rid of them and they will be leaving in the autumn.

A source said: “The producers had a big forward planning meeting this week and have decided to axe a number of characters.

“Most of the actors were called in at lunchtime and told — they are gutted.”

As well as this Ian Reddington, who plays Liz McDonald’s new husband Vernon Tomlin, is also due to leave in September. He already has a play and a panto lined up.

Show boss Kim Crowther said: “Coronation Street has always had a tradition of characters who come in to play out storylines beside established characters before moving on.

“As in any community there are people who live there for years and people who pass through. We still have some interesting storylines to play with these characters.

“They are all very talented actors and we wish them well.”

Last edited by Perdita; 26-04-2008 at 07:56. Reason: typo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Mr Maestro (28-04-2008), tammyy2j (28-04-2008)

Strangely I read somewhere during the week that the bookies were proving popular and were being kept on.

Not too sad at seeing the back of Vermin though
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Nooo...They can't get rid of Jerry! He & Eileen are too good together
    I'm quite suprised at that actually, I really like the Mortons.

bit sad about the mortons, kayleigh and finlay could have just gone back to their mum and then it would have been fine. Darryl fills the much-needed teenage boy role since the street with swarming with girls and i thought Mel was really under-used considering she had the police storyline and was actually quite good!

and i thought the whole point with the bookies was they were gradually bringing them in, like how they now have the storyline with leanne and the dad is hitting on liz. seems a waste for them to get rid so quick.

and poor vernon, maybe he'll hit the big time and sail off into the sunset with status quo or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by LostVoodoo View Post
    and poor vernon, maybe he'll hit the big time and sail off into the sunset with status quo or whatever.
    Maybe he will meet Les Battersby then
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

I was quite enjoying Vernon, no loss with the others though.

Finally they are leaving

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Abbie For This Useful Post:

Mr Maestro (28-04-2008)

I have to say I would be sorry to lose Veron too. I think he has improved tremendously over the past couple of months - both his character and the acting.

I like Vernon and will miss him, it also means that Liz is going to be on her own again although it looks as if she has had enough of her husband already after only 6 months or so of wedded bliss. He always makes me laugh. I wish the Mortons would stay, there is so much potential, Jerry and Eileen or even Gail, Mel being a copper with dodgy Grandad and Kaleigh and Fin around, and Darryl is lovely and a replacement for Craig, the only bit of young eye candy there is on the Street for the "Young Ones".

I won't miss Vernon much he doesn't have many storylines really,his only main storyline was the wedding. I think Darryl should stay and rebel against Gerry after working in the shop for all that time!
    Last edited by *funky*monkey*; 26-04-2008 at 19:36.

Thread Information