Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Totally unrealistic

Totally unrealistic

This Steven/Pat story is totally unrealistic. It just doesn't make any sense. I think the Steven/Christian storyline is good - brilliant storyline and acted really well but why would someone who was struggling with their bisexuality attack their grandmother? Last time at least we saw that Stven was acting on misguided information. He did wrong of course but he was unwell and we know Jane's shooting was an accident.

But the reason he locked Ian up was because he thought mistakenly ian was responsible for Cindy's death in prison and because he was angry Ian never went after him to New Zealand. There were clear reasons for his doing what he did though what he did was plain wrong and he was delusional. This time it is a pretty unrealistic jump. One minute he is trying to deny he is bisexual (he lies about Christian comming on to him which was wrong and Christian shouldn't have told Stacey her boyfriend is gay since it is not his place - though that is yet to happen of course). Next minute we are to believe that after Roxy accidentally gives Pat a broken leg, Pat goes through some terrifying experience at the hospital which involves Steven. Why? He got treatment at the clinic and got better.

If the scriptwriters make him ill again, EastEnders is effectively telling the viewers that psychiatric treatment has no effect on anyone. I don't think he is involved in Lucy's disappearance though. He was/is too busy dating Stacey to think up another master plan. He is fond of his half sister and close to her and there wasn't eenough time anyway. Lucy throws a party. the house is trashed by strangers. Steven rings Ian who comes home with Jane. Steven is clearing up the mess. Lucy and Ian argue and exchange slaps. Lucy runs away. There isn't enough time for Steven to hide her and not tell anyone really. It is more likely she gets in touch with him and makes him promise not to say anything, especially as they are close.
    Last edited by Lizzie Brookes; 22-04-2008 at 16:11.

You're obsessed with Steven - he's boring. Everything about the character is unrealistic. I've got nothing against the actor, but the writers should hang their heads at what they have done to this character. First he's mental, then he's normal, then he's straight. then he's gay. He hates Ian, he loves Ian. That scene in the night club where he wanted everybody to think he'd slept with Stacey was almost unwatchable, it was that bad.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aitker For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (30-04-2008), Perdita (23-04-2008)

I'm not obsessed with Steven but he is one of my favourite charecters. It is a shame he is leaving but on the other hand May is back soon which is brilliant. I agree about the scriptwriting. It's a bit stupid. I don't mind the bi storyline - that isn't unrealistic. It can happen. I also don't think it is unrealistic that he had a mental breakdown, got treatment and then made amends with Ian and Jane but what is unrealistic is him going downhill again because of bad scriptwriting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie Brookes View Post
    If the scriptwriters make him ill again, EastEnders is effectively telling the viewers that psychiatric treatment has no effect on anyone.
    No they are not... they are saying if he STAYED in his treatment he wouldn't be such a nutjob.. Steven was never cured, you can see that in the way he behaves.. it is not pride or childishness, he is still ill
    Super Mod

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (30-04-2008), Pinkbanana (22-04-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    If the scriptwriters make him ill again, EastEnders is effectively telling the viewers that psychiatric treatment has no effect on anyone.
    No they are not... they are saying if he STAYED in his treatment he wouldn't be such a nutjob.. Steven was never cured, you can see that in the way he behaves.. it is not pride or childishness, he is still ill
    That's just bad scriptwriting. It definitely helped a bit as all that shaking is gone and he is no longer obsessed with Cindy. How long's he supposed to remain locked up in a clinic? Even the doctor said to keep him there indefinitely is unethical. He'll always be a bit unstable but he is definitely better than he was before. I just think it is over the top in terms of scriptwriting to make him ill again. If they can't think of anything to do with a charecter they should give the charecter a break and other charecters more on screen time until they can think of a realiistic story.

So where are we supposed to have picked up that he stopped having treatment? When he checked out of the clinic? Surely if he was suffering from a mental illness - to the point where he would shoot somebody (even if it was accidental what he did leading up to it was hardly that actions of a well man) - he would have some follow up treatment (drugs, therapy). It is just laziness (from the writers) to say that because he had a history of mental illness that he will automatically go off the rails and that will be how he is written out. I don't like the character, but he should have been written out in a more original manner. Why is that if you have a mental illness in a soap it means you are completely psychotic - or in danger of flipping at any given time. How about Steven manages his mental illness with medication, and just moves away to college or something?

Quote Originally Posted by aitker View Post
    So where are we supposed to have picked up that he stopped having treatment? When he checked out of the clinic? Surely if he was suffering from a mental illness - to the point where he would shoot somebody (even if it was accidental what he did leading up to it was hardly that actions of a well man) - he would have some follow up treatment (drugs, therapy). It is just laziness (from the writers) to say that because he had a history of mental illness that he will automatically go off the rails and that will be how he is written out. I don't like the character, but he should have been written out in a more original manner. Why is that if you have a mental illness in a soap it means you are completely psychotic - or in danger of flipping at any given time. How about Steven manages his mental illness with medication, and just moves away to college or something?
    They didn't know about the shooting at the clinic. I suppose the clinic discharged him because they thought he was better which he was until the writers decided to make him unwell again. The reason for the writers doing this is probably because they think it'll be boring to have him just leave but its totallyunrealistic to make him ill again. I like Steven but I still think they should have made him accept his bisexuality and if they had to write him out maybe do it in a better way though ideally they should really have kept him and explored his charcter more. There is so much potential there, Aaron is a alented actor and it is just a waste to turn him psycho again and have him leave. At least Sean being a psycho is more believable.
    Last edited by Lizzie Brookes; 22-04-2008 at 16:43.

its totallyunrealistic to make him ill again.
    It's not totally unrealistic at all. In fact it's very realistic. Unless he is continuing with his medication it is very likely that he will lapse. Do we know if he is taking his medication?

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    It's not totally unrealistic at all. In fact it's very realistic. Unless he is continuing with his medication it is very likely that he will lapse. Do we know if he is taking his medication?
    I agree with you. He has never mentioned taking any medication so he could get ill again at anytime. Especially with the storyline at the moment between Steven/Christian/Stacey. He will be mixed up and therefore has gone loopy again

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    didn't he throw it all away.. when you look at how they show Jean.. she is on constant medication
    Super Mod

Thread Information