View Poll Results: It's not the winning but the taking part that counts..

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

9 75.00%
  • Disagee

3 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's not the winning but the taking part that counts..

It's not the winning but the taking part that counts..

Agree or disagree? I mean in general..
    For example though.. School sports days: Is it right that children shouldnt be competitive and everyone should near on get a rosette?

Kids Football matches: Is it right for a manager to give all the team a go at playing and not just stick his best team out there every week to get results?

As a parent who has spent many a damp cold Sunday morning standing watching a kids football match, I do agree that it should be about taking part that counts and encouraging children to take part in sports.

When Marley played for the school football team the manager gave all the kids equal time playing not just the good ones. When she joined we were given a letter informing parents that they weren't allowed to shout at the ref and to praise the kids even if they lost, which is fair enough because you don't want to have a kid in tears because they might have let 3 goals in.

But I think sometimes the UK is just too bloody PC for its own good. Marley goes to Judo twice a week. Last month she gained her 4th MON (yellow belt with a red stripe) at the moment her grading is done within the club were the coach asks them to do a number or moves and throws. Within the next two years when she becomes a green belt 10th MON she will have to go to competitions and fight other players and win to pass her grading.

Although giving kids a medal for taking part can be good to encourage more kids to take part in sports I also think that it would be more beneficial if kids were to become more competitve about winning. That is why the UK does crap in the olympics and other sports because the future generation is over weight and obese and half of the kids in the country can't do a simple roll-over because they are that FAT but the school and parents tell the kids well its okay.

I know we all can't be brilliant at sports I was rubbish at them at school but maybe its time we took a leaf out of the Eastern European Countires and focus more on winning and becoming more competitive.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I agree with the statement. Winning isn't everything. Taking part is just as much fun. Kids need to learn that winning isn't everything, and you can get as much enjoyment out of a sport or competition, from just taking part in it. It helps encourage children to participate in sport and various other competitions. Encouraging competition is good, but I think it can go too far with kids, as too much competition could make them feel like a failure, if they don't win something...I know I felt like that when I was a kid, and I was crap at all the sports!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaVeyWaVey For This Useful Post:

.:SpIcYsPy:. (06-04-2008)

I think it's important for children to believe that it's the taking part that counts . But I am really quite competitive so for me it's the winning that counts to me ..

Its the taking part lol, not the winning, ive done a few diff comps and stuff for sprts stuff and sometimes the team wins, but one game i can remeber was a netball one we lost 21:1 lol but it was one of the funniest games ive played and we had such a laugh, yh its cool to win but i just love doing the sports

take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and kill nothing but time

I think its good to get kids involved in things, but i think competition is healthy too. Not going too over the top with it, but encouraging them to get to their best and to aim to win is good, i think. I think its character building, and gives you more confidence.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:

Pinkbanana (30-03-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    I think its good to get kids involved in things, but i think competition is healthy too. Not going too over the top with it, but encouraging them to get to their best and to aim to win is good, i think. I think its character building, and gives you more confidence.
    I agree with you, Abi. Thats why I'm pleased that more competitive games are making a come back in schools, especially on Sports' day!

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    But... on the other hand, isn't it soul destroying for someone who isn't as good at sport as the rest of them, to always be last in Sports Day races etc? Playing devils advocate like.

Sometimes it can be very difficult to draw that fine line with some parents - me, I just want my kids to be happy and enjoy taking part in whatever they do, whilst still trying to encourage them to do their best, but there are some that I know, that force their children to take part in some activities even though said child isn't exactly the best at it, and ends up feeling really down because they don't "perform" as perhaps some want them too - if I'm making any sense there lol

Yeah you're making sense.. reminds me of a girl on last years X Factor... really bad at singing, but her parents pushed her and made her believe she was good etc.. then she was just so upset.. only 15 or 16 I think .

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    This is it Lea - I was always taught it was the taking part that counted, but the doing the best I could was the most important thing, which I think some parents, from what I've seen don't do. There are a few (a minority but still a few) that seem to want to live their lost childhoods through their own children and then wonder why a few years later, that child starts going off the rails. Not all do of course, but there are a few that do.

Thread Information