Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School play v's footie match

Sorry, didn't mean it in a harsh way. I just think for an 8 year old, pulling him out of something he loves doing is a little harsh. If he was older, or had a main part there'd be no contest. 2 lines is hardley letting someone down though? From my experience, those with hardley any lines are not very important characters anyway, easily done by someone else. It wouldn't be so bad, if the child had a choice in doing it, then he would have made the committment in saying yes, as it is he is being told he HAS to do it. Should a child be told they HAVE to do something?

Surely they would have a standby in the play in case someone cant do it?? ( i know thats what happened when we were at school) what would have happened if he had been sick that night??

its after school, and he has an interest. Connor would create hell if i let him miss what he loves out of school and to me id rather keep him happy than the school!

Do what you think is best and what will make your son happy xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Debs For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (30-03-2008)

Yeah when we were at school there were stand bys. Can't help it if you're ill. I was nearly Nancy in Juniors 'cause the girl was sick She turned up in the end though grrr . I'm sorry but in my experience school plays are a horrible time. It was always a chance for the popular/loud kids to have the main parts, the quiet ones to have the boring, insignificant parts, you always knew who was going to have what part even befor they were given out. That time of year always made me feel miserable. I wish I had another interest at the time to get me out of it. 8 year olds, (9, 10 and 11s), shouldn't have to dread going to school at such an age when school is supposed to be fun. Maybe my time has made me a cynic and slightly biased, but I dunno. Sorry if I offend anyone. Not my intention. And I'm pretty sure it's not going to affect your future... what are employers or uni going to say... "Oh, I see at the age of 8 you chose to do something else rather than appear in your school play, I'm sorry but we don't accept people who do that".... They're 8 for pity sake.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLea For This Useful Post:

chance (31-03-2008)

In my mums school play there were loads of people who were off ill and they just managed, the shcool has to manage when people dont turn up. I think it is a difficult decision, but he has played football all season its not really that fair on him to miss the last match even if he is only 8. He sounds a good little player as well. There really will be plenty more school plays. I think the schoo are bound to realise there will be clashes as they havent really given that much notice,.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

chance (31-03-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkbanana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondboffin View Post
    well it sounds like you had no objections to him being in the play until you found out it clashed with the changed football game and that the teachers were telling you what to do

at the end of the day if you break your promise, and take him out of the play, you will be upsetting the teachers, who may hold it against you in the future. if your son is 8 he has a few more years at that school, and the teachers could make it awkward for both you and him for the remainder, is your son's education worth risking over a game of football?

you made your comitment to the play, it seems very unfair to pull out last minute because of another changed comitment.

but at the end of the day, the choice is yours, but either way someone's gonna get upset.
    I think most teachers wouldnt hold it against a child, if the parent decided to pull them out of a play...they might understandably not consider him for a main part in the future though, if they consider him unreliable.

Teachers, pupils etc… put a lot of effort in to putting on performances, and if its on after school, in order that parents can attend, then they are giving up there free time too. I personally think pulling a child out of a play - even if he has only got a couple of lines (what if other children did the same, what would happen to the play then???) is wrong. To me its sending out the wrong message to the child...that its okay to let people down and do as you wish.
    Making my son not go to footie would be letting him down,id rather let the teachers down then him.
    I understand they wouldnt consider him for a main part in the future but that doesent bother him as he is not in to that kind of thing any way,also the teachers only choose certain kids at our school,The mums kids who are on the pta etc etc or the ones who are friends with a premier leagues footballers sons.It is very clicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkbanana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLea View Post
    But it's kind of a catch 22.. if he does the play he's letting the team down. If he does the footie he's letting others down. Either way he's letting someone down. Teachers are always saying to have after school activities/interests, follow your dreams/passions, stand up for what you want, etc... so it is a little hypocrital also... I think anyway. So he should do what he wants. Especially at such a young age.
    Little hypocritical??? I bit harsh there, I think! Plus I dont think you are comparing like with like...we are talking about a 'one off' play and he would be letting down a lot of people who have worked hard for that one performance... rehearsing, making costumes etc...Surely it would be easier to get someone as a sub for the footie team, than getting someone to have to learn lines etc...in a play??? Plus there will be other footie matches...

It is the last match of the season,this 1 match will make them either 1st or 2nd on the table,he is there top goal scorer.It would be like not having Gerrard at the champions league.They are short or people already as some kids are on holidays etc at mo,So there are no subs tonight,just the right amount of players.

[QUOTE=CrazyLea;564775]Sorry, didn't mean it in a harsh way. I just think for an 8 year old, pulling him out of something he loves doing is a little harsh. If he was older, or had a main part there'd be no contest. 2 lines is hardley letting someone down though? From my experience, those with hardley any lines are not very important characters anyway, easily done by someone else. It wouldn't be so bad, if the child had a choice in doing it, then he would have made the committment in saying yes, as it is he is being told he HAS to do it. Should a child be told they HAVE to do something?[/QUOTEg

It is a play about minibeasts and bugs.He is a fly! Along with 15 oher kids who can read his line without looking out of place as they are all dressed the same.We also had to make there costumes.
    If he had a major role i would make him go to the play, as yes you would be letting them down then.

Quote Originally Posted by Debs View Post
    Surely they would have a standby in the play in case someone cant do it?? ( i know thats what happened when we were at school) what would have happened if he had been sick that night??

its after school, and he has an interest. Connor would create hell if i let him miss what he loves out of school and to me id rather keep him happy than the school!

Do what you think is best and what will make your son happy xx
    The big match is tonight and he shal be there!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLea View Post
    Yeah when we were at school there were stand bys. Can't help it if you're ill. I was nearly Nancy in Juniors 'cause the girl was sick She turned up in the end though grrr . I'm sorry but in my experience school plays are a horrible time. It was always a chance for the popular/loud kids to have the main parts, the quiet ones to have the boring, insignificant parts, you always knew who was going to have what part even befor they were given out. That time of year always made me feel miserable. I wish I had another interest at the time to get me out of it. 8 year olds, (9, 10 and 11s), shouldn't have to dread going to school at such an age when school is supposed to be fun. Maybe my time has made me a cynic and slightly biased, but I dunno. Sorry if I offend anyone. Not my intention. And I'm pretty sure it's not going to affect your future... what are employers or uni going to say... "Oh, I see at the age of 8 you chose to do something else rather than appear in your school play, I'm sorry but we don't accept people who do that".... They're 8 for pity sake.
    You are dead right the teachers have already chosen the parts way ahead of the play.It is the loud ones or the ones whos parents get on well with the teachers.We have a premier league footie players kid at our school and that kid is always guaranteed a top part for everything,just because of who his dad is.

you have done exactly what i would have done, your son sounds very much like mine except a few years younger, he is one of the top goal scorers for his team too, hope they get on well an get to the top of the table!!! my sons team is joint first at the mo so i know how you feel!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:

chance (31-03-2008)

Thread Information