Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School play v's footie match

well it sounds like you had no objections to him being in the play until you found out it clashed with the changed football game and that the teachers were telling you what to do

at the end of the day if you break your promise, and take him out of the play, you will be upsetting the teachers, who may hold it against you in the future. if your son is 8 he has a few more years at that school, and the teachers could make it awkward for both you and him for the remainder, is your son's education worth risking over a game of football?

you made your comitment to the play, it seems very unfair to pull out last minute because of another changed comitment.

but at the end of the day, the choice is yours, but either way someone's gonna get upset.

Quote Originally Posted by bondboffin View Post
    well it sounds like you had no objections to him being in the play until you found out it clashed with the changed football game and that the teachers were telling you what to do

at the end of the day if you break your promise, and take him out of the play, you will be upsetting the teachers, who may hold it against you in the future. if your son is 8 he has a few more years at that school, and the teachers could make it awkward for both you and him for the remainder, is your son's education worth risking over a game of football?

you made your comitment to the play, it seems very unfair to pull out last minute because of another changed comitment.

but at the end of the day, the choice is yours, but either way someone's gonna get upset.
    Thats what I was trying to say lol, you just put it a better way, I think his education and school is more important than football

take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and kill nothing but time

I didnt promise he would be in it though,it wasnt discussed wtih parents or teacher..I would rather upset the teacher then my son.I want to go for whats most important to him and thats his football not the play.I made no commitment to the play,as ive said we wernt asked they just gave him apart and assumed we would be free that night.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha nixon View Post

Thats what I was trying to say lol, you just put it a better way, I think his education and school is more important than football
    This is a play we are talking about here.. a play may i add about bugs..it has nothing to do with his education and wont contribute to his learning.He is a smart kid and in the top classes so im sure a one liner in a play wont harm him in the future.

When I was in Junior school we also HAD to do school plays. EVERYONE had to be in them whether you wanted to or not! I agree with you chance, especially as he only has about 2 lines! They aren't going to miss him! Someone else can read those lines. When someone wasn't there in Junior school after "committing" to it, they didn't make their school life bad.. they just accpeted it. To make school life awkward for an 8 year old, just for not being in a play would be disgusting. Glad my old school wasn't like that! I say go for your sons wishes. Like you say, he's probably going to be in the team for many years, and it's a passion of his, why should he give up something he's interested in, just for some daft school play. I HATED the school plays we HAD to do. And they won't affect his future. Unless maybe he wants to act in the future , which by the sounds of it he doesn't. Don't worry about it Chance. I think you are in no wrong.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLea For This Useful Post:

chance (30-03-2008)

I know for a fact that if connor was in a school play and it was same day as his taekwondo testing, which we only get about a week and a half notice for, i know he would rather do the tkd testing and as his mum i would tell the teachers that sorry but this is a out of school interest which he enjoys and that is more important!

Im lucky connors school only do plays during school hours but its up to your son what he would rather do and if its football that tough on school!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Debs For This Useful Post:

chance (30-03-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLea View Post
    When I was in Junior school we also HAD to do school plays. EVERYONE had to be in them whether you wanted to or not! I agree with you chance, especially as he only has about 2 lines! They aren't going to miss him! Someone else can read those lines. When someone wasn't there in Junior school after "committing" to it, they didn't make their school life bad.. they just accpeted it. To make school life awkward for an 8 year old, just for not being in a play would be disgusting. Glad my old school wasn't like that! I say go for your sons wishes. Like you say, he's probably going to be in the team for many years, and it's a passion of his, why should he give up something he's interested in, just for some daft school play. I HATED the school plays we HAD to do. And they won't affect his future. Unless maybe he wants to act in the future , which by the sounds of it he doesn't. Don't worry about it Chance. I think you are in no wrong.
    Finally someone see's some sense! Thanks hun x

I think most teachers wouldnt hold it against a child, if the parent decided to pull them out of a play...they might understandably not consider him for a main part in the future though, if they consider him unreliable.

Teachers, pupils etc… put a lot of effort in to putting on performances, and if its on after school, in order that parents can attend, then they are giving up there free time too. I personally think pulling a child out of a play - even if he has only got a couple of lines (what if other children did the same, what would happen to the play then???) is wrong. To me its sending out the wrong message to the child...that its okay to let people down and do as you wish.

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

But it's kind of a catch 22.. if he does the play he's letting the team down. If he does the footie he's letting others down. Either way he's letting someone down. Teachers are always saying to have after school activities/interests, follow your dreams/passions, stand up for what you want, etc... so it is a little hypocrital also... I think anyway. So he should do what he wants. Especially at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLea View Post
    But it's kind of a catch 22.. if he does the play he's letting the team down. If he does the footie he's letting others down. Either way he's letting someone down. Teachers are always saying to have after school activities/interests, follow your dreams/passions, stand up for what you want, etc... so it is a little hypocrital also... I think anyway. So he should do what he wants. Especially at such a young age.
    Little hypocritical??? I bit harsh there, I think! Plus I dont think you are comparing like with like...we are talking about a 'one off' play and he would be letting down a lot of people who have worked hard for that one performance... rehearsing, making costumes etc...Surely it would be easier to get someone as a sub for the footie team, than getting someone to have to learn lines etc...in a play??? Plus there will be other footie matches...

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

Thread Information