Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School play v's footie match

School play v's footie match

My son's school play is on mon and tues night next week,he hasnt a big part and has about 2 lines to read.His footie team have just announced that there last game of the season is on mon night so itl mean missing the play.We have asked him what he'd prefer to do and he has of course opted for footie as means the world to him and he has scored every game his season (hat trick today!)
    I dont mind which he chose at all but the school seem to think he has got to be there and we have let them down at the last minute.Is it neccessary for him to be there? It is a after school thing after all so it isnt a requirement is it? They have basically said he cant go to football as he is in the play but what right have they got? He is my son! It is a after school activity ! They have just made me more determined to let him go footie.
    What do you guys think?
    Also surely they have got back ups in case a child is ill or something ?

Well they dont have any right really, but when your son said hed be in the play he then kinda agreed that he would do the practises and stuff, so I think its wrong that he is now not going to do it, and the school will probs remeber it aswell that he let them down at the last minute, but its obviously what your son prefers but I think its wrong him not doing it.

I dont know how old your son is by the way

take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and kill nothing but time

Was there no notice of dates for the play given out that way if the after school club had said the play would be held on the same days at footie then you could suggested your son doesn't take part. Although it's only a couple of lines your son really has committed to taking part unless they can give someone else extra lines to do. I can't see your son getting out of it.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

Quote Originally Posted by samantha nixon View Post
    Well they dont have any right really, but when your son said hed be in the play he then kinda agreed that he would do the practises and stuff, so I think its wrong that he is now not going to do it, and the school will probs remeber it aswell that he let them down at the last minute, but its obviously what your son prefers but I think its wrong him not doing it.

I dont know how old your son is by the way
    He is 8,he wasnt given a choice of being in it,they are all just made too,assuming they will be free that night,the parents dont get asked or anything.Im not going to make him miserable by making him go to something he doesnt want to do,he can still be in the play tues night but he would prefer o do footie and not let his team down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe O'brien View Post
    Was there no notice of dates for the play given out that way if the after school club had said the play would be held on the same days at footie then you could suggested your son doesn't take part. Although it's only a couple of lines your son really has committed to taking part unless they can give someone else extra lines to do. I can't see your son getting out of it.
    They told us the dates about 2 weeks ago which wasnt a problem then but now the footie match has been moved.He didnt ask to be in the play,they are all made too,assuming you are all free on that night.He wont be going anyhow,he has decided footie and it is more important to him so he will be going to that regardless of how the school feels.He is my son so i think it is my decision not theres.

Quote Originally Posted by chance View Post
    not let his team down.
    so its ok for him to let his school down then
    like you say hes your son so hel do what you or he wants, but i still think its out of order

take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints and kill nothing but time

Quote Originally Posted by samantha nixon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chance View Post
    not let his team down.
    so its ok for him to let his school down then
    like you say hes your son so hel do what you or he wants, but i still think its out of order
    I think it's a bit different,his team he will prob be with for years,this is just a school play and there will be plenty more.It is the last match of the season and determines 1st or 2nd in the table.
    I don't really give two hoots about letting the school down to be honest,im more interesed in whether i'd be letting my son down.
    Also i have two other kids and the school have requested on play night that they dont want younger children there because of noise etc which is understandable but what do you do if you have no one to look after them? So another plus in he footie box is that we can all go.
    I personally dont think its out of order,we didnt sign up for the play,they can't
    just assume you will drop everything else for it.
    So yes he will do what i say and not what the teachers dictate.

God I'm really confused. If its an after school play why are the teachers involved. Marley goes to the after school club everyday but they don't do plays or shows it's part of the main school, and they have performances in the afternoon and evening to accomodate parents who may have other committments. Is the football team conected to the school as I find it difficult to understand that both would clash. I can understand your concerns Chance that your Son prefers footie to drama but I don't get that all kids had to take part whether they wanted to or not.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

No the footie team isnt anything to do with school.They have been practicing the play at school and are performing at night,mon and tues nights.Just the fact he goes to school meant he was in the play,we wernt given an option of being in it or not.

i dont get why you wouldnt have a choice whether your child is in the play or not though, as like you say it isnt compulsory

Thread Information