Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2008

Andy Abraham

Last month, Andy Abraham joined the likes of Daz Sampson, Scooch, Love City Groove and Jemini on the long list of British failures at Eurovison. Unlike his peers, however, the former bin man actually had a pretty decent tune! Putting the political voting and Terry Wogan grumbles behind him, Abraham has just released a "feel-good" soul/pop album made up of his own material. We caught up with Andy to see whether he's managed to get over the Eurovision hangover.

Has the whole Eurovision experience started to sink in yet?
    "Well I suppose it's sunk, hasn't it? It's definitely sunk."

Do you have any regrets about agreeing to perform at the event?
    "Not one iota. I got to sing to so many people. That was a bonus for me. When I go out on the street, people say: '[The Eurovision voters] didn't like us'. That is really nice. It makes me feel as if people were there with me and wishing me the best."

Were you shocked when the votes started coming in?
    "Even in Serbia, the people themselves were shocked. It was a strange one. They need to do something to make it more of a song competition, as opposed to what's been happening."

What do you think of Terry Wogan's suggestion that there was an element of racism involved in the voting?
    "Terry Wogan is definitely the voice that knows Eurovision, he has been doing it for something like 30 years now. He's seen the changes and knows what's good for it and what's been bad for it. Now, he's very upset by the situation and wishes it was back to the way it was before. I was surprised that Terry said stuff like that."

What was it like backstage? It looks pretty bonkers!
    "All the contestants and delegates were great. Lovely people, I just got on great with everyone. Even though some of them were a little scary - like Sweden, with all the plastic surgery, or at least that's what it looked like to me. That was a bit over the top."

What did you think of the Russian winner?
    "As much as I congratulated him for winning, for me, there was better songs. I felt that it fell way short of some of the more memorable songs on the night. The likes of Denmark, Switzerland, my song, Sweden, Poland, Germany, Iceland and even the Serbian song, which was really nice."

You've just released your new album Even If. Are you excited to be putting Eurovision behind you?
    "I am very much excited. It would be lovely for it to have the same impact as [my debut] The Impossible Dream, but as I've put it out on my own label, it probably won't. Releases on indie labels take a while to circle around with the general public, but I'm hoping, whether it takes one or two years, that it has the same kind of impact."

Does the record have the same up-tempo vibe as the single?
    "It is very much a real feel-good album. It's like an anthemic album that people can get their teeth into, and have a sing-song to. It's a great enjoyment album, because there's not really many of them about at the moment. It's soul/pop."

You've avoided covers on this album. Does that mean you're prouder of this record?
    "It's personally more rewarding, definitely. I'm really, really happy to have been a part of an album that's very, very close to me."

Your X Factor mentor Sharon Osbourne has just announced that she's leaving the show. What do you make of the news?
    "It won't really be the same to me. I'm not sure if I'll even bother watching it. I like the fact that you never know what Sharon's going to be getting up to, or what water she is going to be throwing over Louis. For me, it's going to be a bit strange. I find Dannii a bit bland. Sharon's got a bit more to her."

Are you not a Dannii fan then?
    "[Sharon] has got so much more experience, she's been through the business and seen so many more high profile acts than I'm sure Dannii has. I wish Dannii well, but for me, Sharon will always be the main person."

Even If is available to buy now.

Juries return to Eurovision Song Contest

Juries are to return to next year's Eurovision Song Contest in a move to stamp out tactical voting.

Sir Terry Wogan quit his commentating post earlier this year because of the apparent decision of some countries to vote together.

The 2009 final in Moscow will now feature votes from both viewers and a jury.

Wogan had called for a return to juries after Russia won this year's competition, having received the maximum 12 points from former Soviet states Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus and Armenia, as well as Israel.

He accused the contest of becoming "ridiculous" and said he did not want to preside over "yet another debacle".

Eurovision executive supervisor Svante Stockselius said: "Nothing is more democratic than the vote of the public. But a jury takes the opportunity to listen to the songs several times before they make up their minds.

"In Belgrade, we saw a difference in judgment of the public and the back-up juries, and we believe a combination will make the show more interesting."

This will hopefully make it a song contest again, giving hope to Western European acts.

im glad thats happening, maybe now itll be slightly fairer
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Webber to help find Eurovision song

Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber is to help select Britain's next Eurovision song entry.

Webber is being lined up as a lead judge or mentor on a Saturday night TV show hosted by Graham Norton, reports The Sun.

An insider said: "Millions of Brits watch the Eurovision but always leave disappointed that we’ve done so badly.

"So next year we’re going all out. Graham’s been drafted in to host and Lord Andrew will give his important input, possibly as part of a panel or as a mentor.

"There is likely to be a public voting element to it as well. Next year really could be the year Britain comes out on top."

Eurovision bosses yesterday announced that juries are to be reintroduced to the competition in a bid to stamp out tactical voting.

That should help Britain.

Thread Information