Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2008

I still think we should enter, I mean other countries need us!!! Thanks to us we garentee that they dont come last!

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    I still think we should enter, I mean other countries need us!!! Thanks to us we garentee that they dont come last!
    Fair point
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

See We are needed!!!!

get out now is what I say. let the idiots vote for their neighbours, see what mug will cough up the readies to keep this camp sham of a contest going.

Eurovision song con-test uproar

THE Eurovision Song Contest was branded a “farce” last night as Britain’s Andy Abraham came last — amid claims of political voting.

Host Terry Wogan hinted he may QUIT, saying the show was no longer about music.

Furious fans called for Britain to boycott the contest, while MPs urged the BBC to axe its coverage.

Nearly ten million tuned in to see former binman Abraham, 43, perform Even If on Saturday.

But the singer — who came second on ITV1’s X Factor talent show in 2005 — was joint last out of 25 finalists with just 14 points.

Russian Dima Bilan won, helped by high marks from ex-Eastern Bloc countries.

His ballad Believe — by US star producer Timbaland — scored a massive 272.

Wogan told viewers: “It’s a disappointment, considering Andy Abraham gave the performance of his life with a song that certainly deserved more marks than it got.

“You have to say that this is no longer a music contest.”

The veteran TV host, who has been Eurovision’s commentator for 35 years, added: “I have to decide whether I want to do this again.

“Western European participants have to decide whether they want to take part from here on in, because their prospects are poor.”

One fan wrote on an internet message board: “Pull the plug on it. Now we have the Eastern Bloc competing and voting only for their near neighbours, it’s time for Western Europe to give it a miss.”

Another wrote: “It would be better to leave the countries in Europe to get on with it in their old-fashioned way.

“We could have a talent show with America and Australia.”

Lib Dem MP Richard Younger-Ross called on the BBC to withdraw its funding for the show.

He said: “It is clear that the voting is based on countries supporting their friends. It no longer has anything to do with music.”

Mr Younger-Ross has tabled a Commons motion slamming the competition as “a joke”.

Some of Britain’s top stars supported Wogan yesterday.

X Factor judge Simon Cowell said: “It’s all about politics, not the best song.

“It’s a bit empty and meaningless. I don’t know one person who plans to buy the Russian entry.”

TV host Bruce Forsyth said: “It’s so biased. It’s a farce.”

Some 43 countries entered the 53rd Eurovision in Serbian capital Belgrade.

It was expected to be watched by 100million across Europe.

A BBC spokesman said: “We are disappointed for Andy. It was a great song and performance.”

Bookmakers gave Abraham odds of 66-1 before the show.

From The Sun

Could not agree more with any of those comments. Let's start something with the US or Australia and leave the Eastern Europeans to it

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (26-05-2008), StarsOfCCTV (26-05-2008)

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    So very true. Eurovision hasn't been a contest about the songs entered for a very long time and the number of political votes are astounding. Pull the plug on funding and let them get on with it, I say.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (26-05-2008)

But if we pull out and not enter, not even try to get in through the semi final way, that means we couldnt watch an vote right?

To be honest I wouldn't miss it if it was no longer on!
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

i wouldnt miss it either, watching a load of foreign songs that i cant understand is something im sure i can live without - quite happily to be honest
    Maisie Mouse

Eurovision, was it on?

Sorry, I haven't watched this in year.

Would I miss it if the Uk withdrew - not at all.

Thread Information