Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Rivals

Rock Rivals

As you'd expect from the makers of Footballers' Wives and Bad Girls, Rock Rivals is big and bold - though a lot less camp than its predecessors. It stars Michelle Collins and Sean Gallagher as Karina and Mal Faith, talent show judges whose disintegrating marriage is played out through on-screen bickering - the desire for their prodigy to win the show is just another front in their personal battle. And while the "grown-ups" fight, the young contestants frolic, showing off their pretty faces, nubile bodies and naked ambition. The result is an abundance of multi-generational storylines running together in a way that further illuminates the flaws of Echo Beach.

The characters are painted in broad strokes and have suitably daft names - Sundae Gorgeous or Angel Islington, anyone? - but crucially, they are characters whom we can cheer, or indeed boo - unlike those in The Palace. Indeed, Rock Rivals is the very antithesis of The Palace: there is nothing but Everymen and women here. Whether it's forbidden love blossoming between contestants or a pushy mother living vicariously through her troubled daughter, these are scenarios with which we are familiar and that awareness means there's emotional resonance. One of the things that makes good drama connect with an audience is the "what-if-it-were-me?" factor and Rock Rivals has it.

Crucially, the show is full of rewards - little moments that lift you. Watching it feels like a treat, not a chore. Can you say the same of Honest? Or BBC1's po-faced Mistresses? Rock Rivals is punctuated with humour that's sorely lacking in much contemporary drama.

Of course, it isn't without its faults. We're expected to believe Karina is a player in the music industry, but she seems strangely soft and naive. She provides one of those rewarding moments - involving a Ferrari and a swimming pool - but the character feels a bit inconsistent and the chemistry between Mal and Karina is a bit flat.

Unlike most British drama, there's almost too much story in the first episode. What should be major emotional moments - when Karina discovers her husband's infidelity or a tender exchange between two contestants - aren't given sufficient breathing space. Perhaps Rock Rivals' biggest fault is that its tendency to show off detracts from its emotional power.

And for multimillionaire record producers, there are an awful lot of Ikea lamps around their house. Still, after a run of disappointing dramas, ITV1's latest offering is a reason to be cheerful. And any show in which a vital part is played by an inflatable sex doll gets my vote - even if it threatens to act certain cast members off the screen.

Source: Guardian Unlimited

Can't wait

I love the adverts for this, I cant wait

Whens it starting?

Next week. 5th March
    Last edited by Perdita; 26-02-2008 at 19:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Next week. 5th March
    Ooo Thats very soon, I think it should be good, its the their own channel kinda taking the mick out of the X factor in some respect

It starts in 25 minutes! I can't wait!

What did everyone think?

I absolutely loved it! It was definetly what I was expecting. I love the tension between Mal and Karina Faith, and that guy with the blow up doll - crazy and outrageous but truly brilliant!

Alison Newman put in a decent performance too playing Bethany's mum. I can't wait for next week. So outrageous and trashy, and so far away from reality, that I completely love it!

Was it just me or did you see some chemistry, a spark between Luke and that guy, Pete, who was looking after them at the house?

Louis Walsh Slags Rock Rivals!

X Factor judge, Louis Walsh has blasted ITV’s newest drama, Rock Rivals, saying the producers should have got more of an input from people who work talent shows in real life.

Walsh told The Mirror: “There’s far more drama on the X Factor in any week than there’s likely to be in this whole series. I was so excited when I sat down to watch it. I expected it to be great.

“I had spent a whole day on set doing a cameo and they cut me. I was annoyed, but now I’ve seen it I’m glad that I ended up on the cutting room floor. It could have been so funny and real but it isn’t.

“With the real thing you have more action, more drama and a lot more talent.

“They didn’t capture the tension and the drama on the show between the judges and the contestants - especially the judges.”

He added: “The research on this show was so poor. They should have called us.”
    Thanks CrazyLea

i thought it was hailrous. it was soo trashy it was great. i hope itv keep it apparently it didnt do 2 well ratings wise. i loved it it was cheesy, comical, great. I cant wait for next week. infact i cant wait to see who wins. and whats with the blow up doll and stalker?!

I wanted to see it but missed it is it repeated any time??
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

Thread Information