Thread: 'Hollyoaks' star claims show is "underrated"

'Hollyoaks' star claims show is "underrated"

Hollyoaks star Gemma Merna has admitted that she feels "frustrated" by the lack of attention given to the show.

The actress, who plays Carmel McQueen on the Channel 4 soap, revealed that the cast and crew will be fighting for more recognition this year.

"We are completely underrated as a show, which is so frustrating," Gemma told the Daily Star. "People just think we are gorgeous models who have nothing else to offer.

"But the truth is we have some seriously talented actors and we're fed up with being the little sister to Corrie, EastEnders and Emmerdale. We're fighters and we're so passionate about what we do. We have the balls and just go for it. And I think we should get credit for that!"

Merna was nominated for the Best Newcomer title at last year's British Soap Awards, but the gong went to Coronation Street actress Kym Ryder, who plays Michelle Connor.

"When we don't pick up awards, it just makes us even more determined to go out and prove we can be even better," she explained. "We may be the little sibling but we can pack a good punch.

"We're not going to stop fighting to get the recognition we deserve. We're damn good actors and we will prove that over the next 12 months."
    Happy New Year SoapBoards!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_2k11 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (04-02-2008)

Go Gemma so true.

Emmerdale and Hollyoaks are way better than Corrie and Eastenders but get no recognition

Yeah, she's bang on, I love Hollyoaks it's got so much comedy in it but it also deals with serious issues
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

Has Gemma ever had a look at this forum? Surely she would realise that Hollyoaks is not underrated but very much loved even if they don't walk away with all the awards.

I think Holyoaks major disadvantage is its time lot, it wil never be seen as serious as its on early. She os soo right though.

Hollyoaks is very underrated.

Its a great soap with great storylines.

I just wish the cast would stop posing for in lads mags, newspapers and calenders. I also wish the would cast normal looking actors.

I agree, it has great storylines that reach the viewers

Thread Information