Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Thanks guys...i know its not going to be gone quickly and that alcohol really doesn't help! when i go back monday i have to tell her honestly if ive had any or not. and im going to try to not!
    Surely they wouldn't give me anti-depresants at 17 would they? If you cant have medication do you do these things like excercise and the St. johns wort perdita? I really apreciate your help guys x

Each case is different so anti-depressants might work for you but not somebody else as might therapy. Not everybody is suited to therapy, I found it more of a hinderence than help. You won't know until you go though. The psychiatrist will be best able to decide the course of action.

If your doctor thinks you need anti-d's then you should try them. They take several weeks to get into your system so don't stop taking them because you don't get an immediate change.

Alcohol isn't a good idea, especially if/when you start taking medication. I know we can all sit here and tell you not to drink but it may make things harder in the long run.

Like others have said, try to go for a walk during the day even if you don't feel like it. Exercise causes the brain to release endorphins which make you feel good. Depression is just a chemical inbalance in the brain.

Do you know the reasons behind your depression?
    Thanks CrazyLea

The counselling isn't an option for me, ive had bad expieriences with counsellors and the reasons behind it is what i really cant talk about. i break down when someone mentions it and i cant do that every week. i think thats why im going to the psychiatrist because the GP cant prescribed them to teens or something.

So yes i do know the reasons but there things i cant talk about.

Eating bananas and chocolate also release endorphins which make you feel better but exercise such as walking or any other form you fancy will have a good effect. St John's Wort was recommended to me by a doctor and I have taken them successfully. The psychiatrist will prescribe suitable medication for you, if he/she thinks this is required.

You have to remember only go on anti depressants if YOU want to, it's got to be your choice. I'm pretty much in the same position as you, and as others have said going for walks, and i know it's hard but don't isolate yourself. I keep trying to, i just never want to be around anyone but if you force yourself and they know what's going on then it can help. As others have said, the alcohol will not be helping, if you can just don't drink at all.
    Good luck

i haven't drank any alcohol since the doctors yesterday, I told my parents and they practically said im not going on any medication and if i dont want to do the counselling then thats upto me! so it caused a big arguement which didn't help but i managed to stay away from the drink and went for a walk this morning! it works for about 10 minutes and im back to feeling down.
    But i will keep it up! Thanks guys.

Is there a group near where you live were you can go a talk to other young people who are expereincing the same problems. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone you are not close to as it can be difficult for a family member or friend to understand. May be someone from College can give you some advice.

My sister suffered a number or nervous breakdowns a few years ago and she used to attend a support group were there were other females there with different kinds of problems. They also used to do different activities like bowling.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

thanks chloe! i hope your sister is alright now =) - i do talk to my tutor but not alot now as all the medic at college have been told to "look out for me" as they've tried to send me home veeryday this week for looking unwell which is starting to stress me out! But im seeing a pysch on monday so hopefully ill know what i can do to help myself on monday! - thank you guys for your advice and support. very much appreciated!

Love steff x
    Last edited by xStephaniex; 15-03-2008 at 02:05.

Thats great Steph, Im happy for you and that you are trying, as most people dont try and things get worse, things should get better for you, it might be slow but things will get there

I've had spells of major depression, the best thing to do is get out there with friends, have a good time and try and forget about your troubles. As soon as i got to uni my life changed for the better, now surrounded by a great circle of friends and really happy with my life. As Abbie says the only way to get over depression to actively change your life.

Thread Information