Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

Depression

i dont know if this is in thhe right place or not so sorry if its not...but here goes

ive just been diagnosed with depression, but because of my age and my depression score ( i had to do a questionnaire for them to work out how bad the depression is ) i need to wait to see a psychiatrist (sp?), which ill be seeing within the next 2 weeks. so he/she will decide on the medication which is best suitable as it increases the chances of suicide or something like that.

Does anyone know what other ways there are in the meantime to try and boost my mood? Im drinking alot and other stupid things to try block out / cope.

Any advice from the older members or anyone who has suffered from depression and could give advice on how they overcame it would be really appreciated. x

I was never diagnossed, but my friend was and we both juts found being with our friends and support from them.
    I know its not much..........

So did you go to a doctor and told him/her?

thanks hun but i have'nt wanted to go out and see my friends, i dumped my bf because of how i felt, the only time i go out is if i have to and i have to go to college, even though i cant concerntrate i need my attendance to stay good.

I went to my doctor today as its been an on going thing and i know the reasons for it but i couldn't cope any longer feeling like this.
    I didn't expect her to say depression if im honest with you but i had 9 of 10 or 11 symptoms at different scores. but she wants me seen quickly and i have to go back on monday i just dunno what to do, only my tutor and doctor know.

You mya not want to see your friends but think it would be good to tell them, friends are amazing people and they shock you and surpise you in really good ways.
    Hope Im not being too personal but do you ever get the feeling of just crying forever?

Exercising can help depression

not really Abbie i do cry and sometimes i dont know why! I only cry alot when the reasons for it are brought up, like today at the doctors. so im scared of seeing the psychiatrist and have to sit there and go through it all again.

I have a home gym kit and was out on the trampette lastnight, and it did make me feel better but i also had a fair ammount of drink before hand so dont know which of them helped more. But thank you Rimmer ill continue to do it - its just being " bothered " to do it.

I know what you mean, but dont be scared and sometimes you feel betetr once its all out

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Exercising can help depression
    I agree. I have found that medication is a help (although it can take several weeks to work) but going for long walks is good therapy. You really need to have someone that you trust that you can confide in and who is just there to listen and is not judgemental. A psychaitrist or psychologist will help but you have to want to be helped. Alcohol is a depressant in itself so really isnt going to help and will make matters worse. There is NO quick fix.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Although you might think that you feel better when you have had a drink, alcohol is actually a depressant, so drinking will make you feel worse eventually. Exercise is good, you might want to take St John's Wort, it is herbal and very good, however, will take a couple of months of you taking it regularly to become effective, as will any medication the doctor might prescribe. Try to see your friends you are comfortable with and you can trust. I suffer from depression but can't do much about it for various reasons, but try to take my mind of things by doing things I enjoy. You have done the best thing already by going to the doctor and talking about your feelings and telling this forum. Think about the fact that you are getting help in the near future and try to focus on the nicer things in life when your sad feelings are getting you down. Depression is a mental thing, if you can manage to change your mind to think about nice things, you will not feel so bad and not so often. All the best x.

Walking is good as well. Thats what the doctors told my friend.

Thread Information