Theatre impresario Andrew Lloyd Webber will make his acting debut in Channel 4 soap opera Hollyoaks early next year.

Lord Lloyd-Webber will star as himself in three episodes to be shown on 29, 30 January and 1 February.

The plot will see aspiring actress Summer Shaw, played by Summer Strallen, stalk the composer in an attempt to gain an audition for a musical.

"I've blurred fiction with fact all my life but never on national television," said Lord Lloyd-Webber, 59.

"Bless Hollyoaks for asking me," he added.

Phantom rumours

The composer has created some of the most successful stage shows of the last 30 years, and has most recently starred as the chief judge on BBC One talent shows Any Dream Will Do and How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?

The programmes focused on his quest to find the lead for West End productions of Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and The Sound of Music.

Lord Lloyd-Webber has said he would like to create a follow up to his successful Phantom of the Opera musical in the future.

Rumoured to be called Phantom of Broadway, he has said he would like to see his original Phantom leading lady - and ex-wife - Sarah Brightman reprise her role.

From BBC News