Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Nun Question! (No I don't want to be one :p)

Random Nun Question! (No I don't want to be one :p)

Okay, so I am watching Sister Act at the moment, and all or at least most of the nuns are Sister Mary. When Carmella was a nun in Neighbours, she was also Sister Mary. So I thought, all nuns must have to be that, but the ones in Sound of Music aren't.. so I was just wandering, why most nuns are Sister Mary lol! Is it an old tradition or something lol? Is it cause of Mary and Joseph.. lol..

Lol well to be honest I thought all nuns were sisiter- and then there name, so now im confused

From http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/s...481#post539481 On the right hand side

The second stage, novitiate, lasts one full year. The novitiate begins with the candidate dressed as a bride, coming into the convent chapel with her fellow postulants (novitiate classes have been as large as 70 postulants).

It is also at this ceremony that the Nuns give up their previous name and adopt a new name in honor of a favorite saint (or perhaps their parents). The presiding Bishop gives a lighted candle to the novice while announcing, “You shall no longer be known as Jennifer (for example), but as Sister Mary Bernadette, your new name in religion.”

The significance of the name change stems from biblical times, when Abram became Abraham, Jacob became Israel, Simon became Peter, Saul became Paul, etc. These men changed their names when they gave themselves to God.

Mary ‘M’. or Marie is always placed after the title ‘Sister’ in honor of Mary the Blessed Virgin.
    Last edited by Abigail; 04-11-2007 at 15:33.
    Thanks CrazyLea

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (04-11-2007)

Hmm So its better to be a sister and then a name beginning with M

Though, to be a nun you have to be catholic right? Thus, most catholics are born catholics.....So if you are born into a strong catholic family then there's a good chance that you will be given a name from the bible or named after a saint - well this has been my very limited experience of this....I know a catholic called Bernadette.... And no she isnt a nun.

Soooo the point Im making is do you have to change your name if you are already called Mary, Bernadette, Maria or named after other saints or famous nuns?! Or is the change your name bit just part of the job (becoming a nun)?

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

well of course you have to be Catholic too, Pb

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
    well of course you have to be Catholic too, Pb
    I know that Tabs! lol Im talking about do you have to change your name, if you already are called Mary or named after a saint!

Thanking the fabulous TAbbie, for the banner!

Hmm yeah that is a point, I just thought you wouls of been called Sister and then maybe a tradditional name kinda, you how we have christain names

Lea That Is A Rather Good Question
    I'm A Catholic And I Don;t Recall A Saint Called Tanya That Would Be So Cool Through. I Wanna Become A Siant Now
    I Don't Think You Have To Change You're Name If You Were Called Mary Or Something Or I Don't You Do Lol

Thank you for the amazing banner Lea
    Joe Mcelderry is gorgeous and amazing

Sister Crazylea sounds brill though!!! you should consider it lea LOL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Debs For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (05-11-2007)

Thread Information