Thread: 'Harold Bishop' quits 'Neighbours'

'Harold Bishop' quits 'Neighbours'

Veteran Neighbours star Ian Smith has quit the Australian soap after 20 years.

The actor has played coffee-shop owner Harold Bishop on and off since 1997 but is now retiring from his 30-year showbiz career.

He will film his final scenes this month but has agreed to return for a number of special appearances next year.

Smith, who was also an actor and scriptwriter on Prisoner, originally left Neighbours in 1991. He returned five years later when his character was seen suffering from amnesia.

One Neighbours insider called him "the heart and soul" of the programme, saying: "Ian really set the tone of the show, both on the set and behind the scenes."

They added: "As well as being a consummate professional, he's all about creating a positive vibe that brings the cast together. He will be very missed but at least he'll be back to say 'hi' next year."

Smith's exit is a further blow for the soap, which has failed to attract more viewers despite a much-hyped re-launch earlier this year.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

CrazyLea (02-11-2007), megan999 (05-11-2007), sam23 (09-11-2007)

I dont really watch neighbours, i used to and now and then, this is so sad, he is like always there

nooo!! I love Harold he is a total legend!!! He's been on the show ever since I started watching 10 years ago!
    I just hope they give him a good send off!

I tink he has tun out of storys now though. I think he made the right decision. It will be weird neighbours without Harold. I had a feling this would happen when Sky left.

I will be sad when Harold leaves, him and Lou make a great double act. Does anyone know if the actor who plays Lou will stay in Neighbours??
    Carpe Diem ~ seize the day!

I haven't heard anything about Lou leaving. But with Harold and Lolly now both gone there isn't really very much for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    I tink he has tun out of storys now though. I think he made the right decision. It will be weird neighbours without Harold. I had a feling this would happen when Sky left.
    Yes I know what you mean. Sky's leaving was so moving, and Harold looked so sad....like it was for real. I think it was. Be sad to see Harold go.

Thread Information