Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Families

INT. CAMPBELLS HOUSE – MORNING

Lee and Tina are at the kitchen table eating breakfast. Luke is making a cup of tea – he has a slightly angered look on his face.

Tina: We heard mum yesterday…sick all over the front lawn…

Luke: And? What do you want me to say about it!?

Tina: I’m worried about her dad and it’s all your fault!

Luke: Look, I want to put what happened in the past and move on, I’m sorry for what I did, but we all need to move on and forgive and forget…

Tina: You may be able to do that but we can’t!

Luke: Well why am I here now then eh?! If mum didn’t want me no more, she’d have chucked me out on the streets! So really, she has forgiven me….

Tina: Well she made a mistake…she’s in drunken states most nights of the week because of the affair you had behind her back! And you’ve hardly shown that your sorry!

Luke: I’ve told her that I’m sorry! But, well you know what mum’s like…she’s difficult…

Lee: It’s down to you dad to sort mum out! We are really worried about her…her constant drinking is going to take its toll on her, I just know it!

Luke: Look don’t worry, I’ll get everything under control…mum’s just going through a rough patch at the moment that’s all…she’ll get over my affair, it’s just going to take some time that’s all!

Tina: And you shutting the front door on her yesterday whilst she was sick was you keeping things under control was it?!

Luke: She was off her head Tina! Just trust me…mum will be ok…

Luke starts drinking his cup of tea. Lee and Tina continue to eat their breakfast.

INT. WEATHERBYS HOUSE – DAY

Alicia is in the kitchen. Christina walks in through the back door.

Alicia: Alright, good day at college?

Christina: Not too bad…phone got taken off me though as I was texting Sean!

Alicia: Oh Chris! You know you can’t let your personal life interfere with your college work! These studies are important…you do want to try and get into university next year don’t you?!

Christina: I’m not so sure now mum…I keep changing my mind every 2 minutes…university does have its advantages, don’t get me wrong, but it’s just the money and the depressing thought that I will most likely get into debt!

Alicia: Well you still have time to decide yet…

Christina: Yeah and mum, you don’t mind Sean coming round for dinner tonight do you?

Alicia: Well love…you did make it all a bit short notice didn’t you?!

Christina: Yeah sorry…it’s just well I desperately want you to meet him…partly so you can stop judging him and dad can stop labelling him as a “bad ‘un!”

Alicia: I am not judging him love, not when I haven’t even met him yet!

Christina: But dad disapproves of him doesn’t he?! You might as well admit that!

Alicia: Well, I wouldn’t say disapprove is the right word…more that he’s got a few doubts that’s all…

Christina: Well, as long as he doesn’t kick off when Sean comes round for dinner…that’s all I ask…

Alicia: He won’t Chris, he promised he would give Sean a fair chance…

Christina: I just don’t want to have déj* vu that’s all! Remember what happened when Jake came round for dinner?!

Alicia: Yes of course I remember, that event is hardly going to slip my memory is it?! It was particularly eventful!

Christina: (horrified) He punched Jake in the face!

Alicia: Yes I know, it was uncalled for but he was angry! He was cheating on you Christina!

Christina: That’s not a good reason!

Alicia: Just relax ok?! Everything is going to be fine, I’m going to put a turkey in the oven and cook a roast dinner for all of us…

Christina: Thanks mum. (smiles)

Alicia: I want to make this dinner special…I think it’s a nice way to introduce your new boyfriend to the family…I just hope he’s a decent man!

Christina: He is mum! I just have a good feeling about this one!

Christina leaves the kitchen, excited as she waits for Sean’s arrival. Alicia looks on, hoping Christina isn’t setting herself up for a fall.

INT. WEATHERBYS HOUSE - DAY

Christina heads up to her bedroom, where Sam has just come out of the bathroom.

Christina: Haven’t broken another one of my DVDs today I hope?!

Sam: Nah I moved onto your CD collection! (laughs)

Christina: You better not have!

Sam: Jeez, chill! I was only having a laugh! I didn’t expect you to get my joke though as I bet your too busy quaking in your boots over that boyfriend of yours coming round for dinner tonight!

Christina: How did I know you were going to bring my new boyfriend into this?! You’re so predictable Samuel!

Sam: Sorry…but I am right aren’t I?! Your afraid that dad will kick off again like last time?!

Christina: Just get stuffed!

Christina goes into her bedroom and slams the door. Sam has a grin on his face, amused at teasing his sister.

INT. WEATHERBYS HOUSE – EVENING

The Weatherbys are sitting in the living room as a family, awaiting Sean’s arrival. Christina is all dolled up, determined to impress her boyfriend. Jack looks at her, disgusted.

Jack: Did you really have to dress up like that for tonight!? (at Christina)

Christina: What’s the problem?

Jack: It’s just a bit revealing…that’s all…

Christina: Fine! If you don’t like it, I’ll get changed into something else!

Alicia: Eh, now come on! I thought there were going to be no arguments tonight!

The family fall silent, then Sam makes an outburst.

Sam: Are you sure this boyfriend of yours hasn’t stood you up?

Alicia: Sam, shut it will you!?

Sam: What!? I’m just being realistic! Look at the time, wasn’t he meant to be here at 6?! It’s nearly half past now!

Alicia: You’re not being realistic, your just trying to rub Christina’s nose in it! Now enough!

Sam: Ok…sorry…

The doorbell rings. Christina gets up from the sofa, excited.

Christina: Ooo! I think this is him!

Christina leaves the living room to head to the front door. The rest of the family look on, hoping the dinner will be successful.

INT. CAMPBELLS HOUSE - MORNING

Luke enters the bedroom where we see Tanya lying in bed, her eyes half open. Luke angrily opens the curtains where the sunlight is streaming in.

Tanya: Jesus Luke! Why did you do that for?!

Luke: You have to face the world sometime Tan…not be stuffed up in this bedroom all day nursing your latest hangover!

Tanya: Any breakfast going?

Luke: I’m late for work so I was about to be leaving…

Tanya: Put some toast in the toaster before you go babe…

Luke: Don’t “babe” me! The kids are out of their mind with worry with you and your drinking!

Tanya: And did you explain to them how it’s all your fault?! You drove me to it Luke! You drove me to it!

Luke: You drove yourself too it! You have to stop this Tan, you have to stop treating me like your slave and start treating me like a husband again!

Tanya: Why should I?! You cheated on me! Do you know how that made me feel?! It made me feel unwanted, useless…thinking I couldn’t offer what my husband really wants!

Luke: It’s not like that at all Tan, I’m sorry about the affair…but I made up my mind in the end and decided I wanted you…you’re my wife after all and I love you!

Tanya: Not good enough Luke!

Luke: What can I do eh?! What can I do to make it up to you?!

Tanya: To be honest, I really don’t know… you hurt me so much Luke and the drinking helps the hurt go away…

Luke: Just please stop the drinking at least! You’re worrying the kids! If you carry on like this, you’ll drink yourself into an early grave!

Tanya: I can’t promise you that, every time I think of your betrayal, it just makes me turn to the bottle!

Luke: Oh stop being so melodramatic!

Tanya: I’m not being melodramatic! I’m being serious! I don’t think you realise how much you hurt me Luke!

Luke: I’m off to work!

Luke storms out of the bedroom.

INT. WEATHERBYS HOUSE - EVENING

Christina opens the front door where we see Sean. A hunky man with a smart black shirt on, with some of his top buttons undone, showing some of his body and smart trousers. He has his hair spiked up, with a bag in his hand and he looks into Christina’s eyes and kisses her.

Sean: Well, well, you’re looking gorgeous tonight babe!

Christina: You don’t look too bad yourself!

Sean: And I have a surprise for you…

Sean takes his hand from behind his back and reveals some flowers.

Christina: Oh Sean, you shouldn’t have!

Sean: I also bought some presents for your family too…you know, just to win them over…

Christina: Sean, really! You shouldn’t have! They’ll like you…just stop worrying!

Sean: I hope they like me…I really hope they do!

Christina: Come into the living room, I’ll introduce you to them all!

Christina takes Sean to the living room. Sean tries to keep a cool face on him.

INT. WEATHERBYS HOUSE – EVENING

Christina enters the living room with Sean at her side. The family look at Sean, intrigued.

Christina: Mum, dad, Sam….this is Sean…

Sean: (uncomfortable) Hi…it’s good to meet you…

Alicia: Very good to meet you too!

Sean: I really hope to make the right impression on all of you…I’m serious about Christina…

Jack: How can you be when you’ve only known her for 2 minutes?

Sean: I treat all the women I go out with, with respect Mr Weatherby…

Christina: Oh Sean, call him Jack! You aren’t in the classroom now!

Jack: She’s right, please call me Jack…

There’s an uneasy pause.

Sean: I’ve bought presents for all of you…I know it may sound silly, but just call it some introductory presents…

Sean starts digging in the bag.

Jack: I didn’t know you were Santa Clause! In fact, I didn’t think it was Christmas!

Alicia: Jack, please…

Sam: As they say, gifts can’t buy you friendship…

Christina: Just ignore him Sean! Leave the bag down there…we’ll see the gifts later!

Alicia: Right well Sean, you can sit down here whilst I check up on the food in the kitchen…

Alicia gestures for Sean to sit down. Alicia gets up and leaves the living area. There is an awkward silence.

Christina: Do you fancy coming upstairs Sean? (flirty)

Jack: Hang on a second! You two aren’t going anywhere! I thought the whole purpose of this dinner was to get to know your boyfriend, Christina!

Christina: Well strike up some conversation with him then!

Jack: Ok then…what line of work are you in Sean?

Sean: Oh I’m not really in any work at the moment…I…err…

Sam: (interrupts) Well that’s a problem solved already…you can become a Santa Clause! You did a wonderful job getting us presents and delivering them here!

Christina: (angry) Sam!

Sam: I’m being serious…they pay good money apparently…it’s ideal as Christmas would be soon!

Sean: Thanks….I’ll bear it in mind…

Sean smiles at Jack and Sam nervously.

INT. PAT'S CAFE - EVENING

The phone rings. Pat is busy cleaning the cafe and hears it ringing.

Pat: (to self) Fine! I'll get it then shall I?!

Pat goes to the phone and picks it up.

Pat: Hello?....Hello? Have you got the wrong number or something?

The caller hangs up. Pat puts the phone down, and walks back into the cafe to continue cleaning.

Tanya is bugging me somewhat, i agree Luke shouldn't have cheated but get over it

Sig dedicated to Charley

INT. PAT'S CAFE - EVENING

Pat, Dave and Felicity are in the upstairs flat above the cafe, watching television. The phone rings.

Pat: Jesus! Not again!

Pat gets up and goes to the phone and answers it.

Pat: Hello?....hello?...is there anybody there? Have you got the wrong number?!

The caller hangs up. Pat puts the phone down angrily. Felicity comes into the hallway.

Felicity: Who was that?

Pat: I don't know...i think they got the wrong number...

Felicity: Didn't you recieve a call like that earlier?

Pat: Yeah i did, but i'm sure it's nothing...

Thread Information