Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sally Fletcher (Kate Ritchie)

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!! she can't leave.. she is H&W.. it just won't be the same without her
    Super Mod

I wonder what will happen to Cassie and Ric.
    It'll be wierd without her.

From backtothebay.net

Less than an hour after the shock announcement of Kate's departure from the show, Script Producer Bevan Lee has kindly given us a statement on behalf of Channel Seven, exclusive to BTTB:

After twenty years playing one of the iconic characters of Australian television drama, Kate has decided to move on to new challenges. It is of course a sad day for both the makers and the fans of the show, but her departure will be handled with the sensitivity and respect it deserves. One of the reasons I came back to the show, that I could not talk about until now that the official statement of Kate's departure has been made, was to make sure that the story of Sally's departure is one befitting Kate's twenty years on the show and one that really delivers for the fans. It is a ten week arc story that starts with the last scene to air in Australia in 2007 and ends ten weeks in to the 2008 season. Kate will leave the show on an uplifting and positive note and the door will be kept open for her return should she ever choose to do so. There will be many dramatic and tension-filled twists and turns, and many tears of both joy and sorrow, along the way to her departure. Kate is a truly wonderful young woman and everyone at Seven wishes her well in both her personal life and her new career goals.

She is H&A it won't be the same without her since Brad is leaving also i wonder will they leave together?

So who will take over the caravan park now?

She is the main reason I watch the show. She to me is a composite of 2 of my sisters 7 daughters. My other faves are Mum Pippa and of course Brad (WHAT a SPUNK!!!) I DO hope they get back together. Actually there was a whisper a few months ago about a major cliffhanger re one of the Bays stalwarts - well there are only 3 iconic ones : Sally Alf Colleen. And yes I do agree H & A/SB wont be the same without Kate/sally. She IS the show. (No offense Ray Meagher/Alf. AND Sally remains the only foster child to be adopted. I remember when she was adopted, shortly before Tom died.... they asked her if she wanted to call them Mum and Dad or Pippa and Tom, and she chose the latter.

When a few minor details re the major cliffhanger - and also the show about to celebrate 20 years on air emerged, I said to myself: Sally. And they also mentioned the cliffhanger will do justice to the character and the shows 20 years, and will have viewers/fans on the edge of their seats till the show returns - and after it returns. AND then came news of Chris Sandrinna leaving being axed from the show. Plus the fact that the original producer/writer Bevan Lee is back. AND the last week here, they introduced Brad and Rachels half teen sister - a real troublemaker - she's causing no end of problems for Brad and Rachel so far, and now she's making a play for Geoff - the farm boy - brother of Annie. This new girl has obviously been made up to possibly remove Brad. Brad and Rachel had no idea she existed till last week. The girl Tam(sin) is 15.

Quote Originally Posted by jelly belly View Post
    From backtothebay.net

Less than an hour after the shock announcement of Kate's departure from the show, Script Producer Bevan Lee has kindly given us a statement on behalf of Channel Seven, exclusive to BTTB:

After twenty years playing one of the iconic characters of Australian television drama, Kate has decided to move on to new challenges. It is of course a sad day for both the makers and the fans of the show, but her departure will be handled with the sensitivity and respect it deserves. One of the reasons I came back to the show, that I could not talk about until now that the official statement of Kate's departure has been made, was to make sure that the story of Sally's departure is one befitting Kate's twenty years on the show and one that really delivers for the fans. It is a ten week arc story that starts with the last scene to air in Australia in 2007 and ends ten weeks in to the 2008 season. Kate will leave the show on an uplifting and positive note and the door will be kept open for her return should she ever choose to do so. There will be many dramatic and tension-filled twists and turns, and many tears of both joy and sorrow, along the way to her departure. Kate is a truly wonderful young woman and everyone at Seven wishes her well in both her personal life and her new career goals.
    You scooped me here! I reckon they will try and return as many of Sallys original family that they can - Frank Carly Steven/Selina (another fave of mine - both of them), maybe return Lyn (she returned to her family in around 1989-90) and friends Lance (again) his mate (cant think of his name) , maybe even return Alfs daughter Roo (Marthas birth mother - now THAT WOULD be a coup - I was never into her (and the fact that she made Frank believe he was the babys father - but told him he wasnt when she jilted him...) and have been wondering for ages why they dont return her, plus Alfs other 2 sisters Celia and Barbara (once married to Donald - well actually she was before and after the affair with Morag which produced tomboy Bobbie (dead for about 10-15 years?), plus other past characters, which includes Christopher Fletcher (Tom and Pippa's only biological child - he was born after Pippa was told she couldnt have kids. He was born about 1 year before Tom died. He's only appeared a few times since Pippa (2) left the first main time about 12 -15 years ago, when sally was about 16-18. He should be about 17-19 now. Pippa had a daughter Ruby to the next man in her life Ian. Ruby has never been mentioned since. Ruby should be about 12-15 - unless theyve aged her...Pippa has had 2 husbands and one boyfriend.

Id say this next 6 months are going to be among - if not the highest rated eps in the shows history. and saddest because Sallys is leaving.

It is a ten week arc story that starts with the last scene to air in Australia in 2007 and ends ten weeks in to the 2008 season. Kate will leave the show on an uplifting and positive note and the door will be kept open for her return should she ever choose to do so. There will be many dramatic and tension-filled twists and turns, and many tears of both joy and sorrow, along the way to her departure.
    Thank god she's not being killed off. So, how do you think she's going to leave? Maybe (child) Pippa dies and Sally leaves with Brad. I can't really think of any other way she could leave. I hope Brad and Sally do get back together.

OMG!!

it wont feel right without sally

Really glad they arent killing her off and im sure she will pop back quite a bit, she just cant go forever!

It is a ten week arc story that starts with the last scene to air in Australia in 2007 and ends ten weeks in to the 2008 season. Kate will leave the show on an uplifting and positive note and the door will be kept open for her return should she ever choose to do so. There will be many dramatic and tension-filled twists and turns, and many tears of both joy and sorrow, along the way to her departure.
    Thank god she's not being killed off. So, how do you think she's going to leave? Maybe (child) Pippa dies and Sally leaves with Brad. I can't really think of any other way she could leave. I hope Brad and Sally do get back together.
    Sally IS H & A and always has been. I cant see them killing little Pippa. Sally may have a car accident - be in a coma/become temporarily paralysed - or be shot - bullet lodges in spine - same outcome - she gets cancer again goes into remission - Brad realises he cant live without her and apologises to her - they decide to marry again - and do it. She sells the caravan park to Alf alone or Ric Cassie and Alf and she and Brad go and join Mum Pippa.

Im also presuming that new girl Tam (who apparently is Brad and Rachel's half sister) is here for them too - as in their leaving.

Im actually wondering if Kate decided to leave at the Logies in May. But kept it quiet till yesterday. Because the news of Chris Sandrinna (Brad) being axed came in July.

From homeandaway.com.au

KATE RITCHIE LEAVES HOME AND AWAY!

Messages to Kate

Kate has played the role Sally Fletcher for twenty years and become one of Australia’s most cherished actors, picking up a Silver and a Gold Logie in the process. Kate told Kochie and Mel on Channel Seven's morning show, that she will film her final scenes in December. "I have been blessed with a job that I have loved for the past 20 years and I wouldn't take back one moment of my time," she said. "I feel that it is time for change." Kate will spend the rest of 2007 concentrating on filming her final scenes of Home and Away. "My decision to leave the show has not been made lightly and despite being sad to say goodbye I am excitedly looking forward to what will be the next chapter of my life," Kate said.

Series Producer Cameron Welsh said "We are of course sad that Kate will be leaving us but will always be grateful for everything she has given to Home and Away over the last twenty years. Everyone here shares her excitement for what the future holds."

Kate read all your emails and called me last night to say thank you to you all.

Hi Kate how are feeling, you’ve had a crazy day with television appearances, photo shoots and so many interviews?

“Yeah it’s just been woah to go… it’s been non stop but look I am flattered you know, I guess I would be upset if I made this announcement and no one cared. I spent the trip home reading all of the emails, it’s just so lovely, I actually walked in the door and burst into tears with my boyfriend because I feel like I have been holding it together all day.

Despite knowing it’s the right decision it’s a huge emotional upheaval that I am about to face, so that part of it is hard. Like I said, I spent the trip home reading all these beautiful emails from people who had spent a long time watching the show, some for a few years and some who have watched for as long as I have been a part of it, it’s just really nice to hear their well wishes and their support because you can be in that studio all day and every day and you can forget that you are in other people’s lounge rooms every night.

I am just so flattered and so touched and in some ways after reading the emails it doesn’t feel like I am doing it on my own anyway, there are so many people that are behind me and I am really grateful for that. They’re saying ‘don’t kill her off so that she can come back’, but you know you work on a show like Home and Away and just because you die doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t come back that’s been proven” Kate laughs.

”But it’s really nice, not just the emails, but when I came off Sunrise this morning I’ve had so many phone calls and beautiful messages from people, it just really cements with me that I am making the right decision. The only voice I really need to listen to is my own, but it is nice to feel that people will support me in whatever I decide to do next.”

What was the reaction from Ray and the cast?

“Well Lynn McGranger was quite funny, I didn’t see her, but she sent me a text, I think she’s pleased I’m leaving because she finally gets the dressing room to herself. And Ray is at the World Cup so I haven’t heard from Ray but he was one of the few people who did know I was leaving, so I sent him a quick message last night to let him know I was going on Sunrise and I did get a beautiful message from him pretty much straight away saying lots of people would be sad to see me go and that he would be one of those.

For those people and the close friends I have made on Home and Away and those who have left before me, the people I really want to stay in touch with, I will anyway, whether I am going to work with them every day. I think it’s just the day to day interaction with people I will miss, you know just the luxury of going to a job I really enjoy, like (some days) I’m at Collaroy sitting in the sunshine talking with my mates, not everyone is lucky enough to have a job like that.”

There’s always been a family atmosphere at Home and Away…

”Yeah there has been and everyone works as a real team and I think that’s got something to do with it’s longevity, it would be nice to think that in some ways that comes across on the screen, but yeah I will certainly miss lots of things about it.

The one thing that I really have in common with the fans and all those people who have written in too, is that I think I will miss Sally equally if not more than they will because throughout my life, and I’ve said it before, there are ups and downs and you are not sure what is happening and you have a bad day and things change, but the one thing that has always been the same is that Sally has always been there for me. “

I rememember you saying you were quite proud of her when you saw the tribute last Christmas.

Yeah I was and it’s only been in the last few years that I have allowed myself to be proud of her and what I have achieved and it’s such a great feeling. I guess for such a long time I’ve been embarrassed of the character that I didn’t think was particularly cool and didn’t have the cool clothes and didn’t have the hot boyfriend and all that kind of thing and now I realise that is something I should embrace because it just means I am like everybody else and that’s what’s really nice about it.”

The fans are asking what you are going to be doing next?

”I’m looking forward to a holiday, then in saying that I know that if I sit around doing nothing for too long, I will drive myself crazy so I can’t imagine I will be idle for long and that’s probably a good thing as well and I think it’s nice too to read the emails and see that people are excited to see what I am going to do next…so I guess I’m going to try and not let them down. At this stage I am not making any commitments because first I need the dust to settle and then have a long hard think about what to do.

Thanks Kate

Interview by Tania Seager

You can send your messages to [email protected] and put 'KATE' in the subject line.

Thread Information