Thread: Salt dough

Angry Salt dough

Hi, everyone - thought there might be somebody on here who could help me with a problem I'm having.

I have to make a salt dough head for art coursework, but I'm having a LOT of trouble with it.
    I made it using 1 cup of salt for every 3 cups of flour, and just added water til it was the right consistency.

However, because it's quite a large, heavy ball of dough, every time I put it down the bottom becomes flat. Like I said, it needs to be a head so the back/bottom has to be rounded. I've now made it the smallest it can possibly be without becoming impossible to add facial details, but it still seems to be too heavy.

I am going to place it on salt dough shoulders, but I really want to get the face down now because it will be very difficult to do if the head's not flat. Also, when I do put it on shoulders I'm certain the chin area will just sink into the shoulders.
    I moulded a nose last night, but when I checked it this morning it had disappeared - everything seems to be sinking into it like quick-sand!

So would really like to know how I could make it:

A) Easier to scrape details like wrinkles into it (at the moment it sort of crumples up, in the same way you'd expect normal cookie dough to - the tool doesn't glide through smoothly like it would in clay).

B) Stay even slightly rounded underneath!

I've already got annoyed with it and destroyed it once...
    Thanks!

Maybe put more flour in? I know that when making cakes flour makes the mixture thicker.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abigail For This Useful Post:

laurouski (03-09-2007)

Can you make a hollow head? Maybe using a small baloon as a template like you would in paper mache?

I would suggest making the dough softer for better malleability.

http://www.multihobbies.com/saltdough/recipes.htm

An alternative receipe is here ^ , maybe you could try that one?
    Last edited by Trinity; 03-09-2007 at 13:42.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

laurouski (03-09-2007)

Thanks, you guys!

In the end I did make it hollow (stuffed with newspaper underneath a layer of aluminium foil) - why is it things always come to you just after you've decided to ask for help?!

It was still a bit of a pain - it wasn't sticking together very well and by that point my patience was at an all-time low!
    But, in the end I just about finished it with the dough I had, and it's in the oven as we speak.
    When I put it in it was still a bit bumpy from trying to hold it without leaving marks, and there were still lines around the pieces of dough I'd stuck over the top. I was worried that it was going to stretch and leave gaps where you could see the stuffing or that the added pieces would fall off, but I checked it just now and the lines have diappeared and it's all stuck together quite nicely.
    Plus, the kitchen is finally flour-free and spotless!

So, thanks.

Thread Information