Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diana, 10 years on. Where were you...?

I was only 6 and switched on the tv and was annoyed that there was nothing on the tv. Didn't really understand who Diana was and what was the big deal...

Now I do, and it's sad and everything but it's been 10 years and every year the media rakes everything up and I think they should just leave the Royal family to it.

her funeral is on bbc parliment tomorrow from 8:25 am

i thought i better let you all know if u want to watch it again

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    And thank you Siohban, I am just saying what I think, and I really don't want to offend anyone - so it is nice to know I am not alone!
    I was in London, woke up at 10ish and it was all over the news. Always sad when someone loses their life, especially when its a mother of young children.

It was the mass grieving afterwards I had a problem with. Still can't believe she is the Daily Mails most featured headline.

A few days later my friend phoned me and said "let's go pay our respects". I thought he was mad. He then said "to the Mercedes garage. That was one fine damn car"

Probably tasteless, but no more so than the hysteria associated with Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    My Dad worked for the BBC at the time, in the Information Department. He was one of the first people to find out about it, as he left work from the late shift. As he left work, they thought she just had a broken arm, but as he left, he found out she had died. The next day, he went in on his day off, because the phones were off the hook. I found out about her death, having gotten up, and asked why he'd gone into work. I was only 7, but you get to understand shift work, so i knew that he should have been there in the morning, because he had just done a late shift. People were phoning to congratulate the BBC on their handing of it, to ask if it was real or a hoax, and sometimes to complain that it had too much coverage. Everyone in his department pulled together, coming in on their days off, to make sure that the public had their say. After all, that was their jobs.

The BBC has an internal newspaper called the Ariel. This is part of what he said about that night, taken from an interview..

....On an average Sunday, we take between 300 and 600 calls. That day we answered 2,300. During that week the level of calls remained high- around 2000 a day

Yes I've read that before. Thanks for that Abi, a very interesting recollection of that day. As you say, the reports were that she had 'minor' injuries, but then after a lack of news and also the then Foreign Secretary the late Robin Cook delaying a flight from Hong Kong, people feared the worst, and the death was announced soon afterwards. I remember ITV covering the event non-stop from the middle of the night until Corrie at 7:30 (it was only a few months earlier that Corrie added a Sunday episode). BBC were about the same.

I feel the same as others. It was a tragedy and an awful day, but time and life has moved on. Even today, while there have been a lot of tributes, it's not much more than any old soul dying. It's actually the Daily Express that print Diana stuff on the front page more than anyone else still, though even the Mail still does this occasionally.

I came down to the kitchen after waking up to find my mum watching the news on TV.

Before Charles met and married Diana. The royals were very reserved and straight-laced. The only time you seen then were at events like Wimbledon, Ascot and rememberance day, but Diana changed all that. She became something of an icon or idol to the public with her visits to hospitals and dancing at live aid. For the first time in many years the British Public had someone they could related to. Diana soon became looked upon as a hollywood legend and at times she hated it, but it was too late to prevent it. when she died many people beleived they were paying their respects to a great legend rather than a member of the royal family. My personal opinion of Diana was she was a gold digger and only married into the royal family for money and status, but I still think she was murdered.

As for people wanting to lay flowers and pay their respects. I can understand that. When the 9/11 tragedy happened I went down to the American consulte in Edinburgh to lay flowers and sign the book of condolances.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I think i found out after school. I didn't really care that much. (I'm not heartless) but my Grandpa had died a few months before from cancer and i just couldn't believe it. But also seeing as i was only 5 i didnt really understand who she was.
    Last edited by Tannie; 02-09-2007 at 22:23.

Thank you for the amazing banner Lea
    Joe Mcelderry is gorgeous and amazing

In 1988 I was working as an auditor with the Department of Health in London. I can remember being at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead when Diana was visiting.

I made a conscious decision not to go an see her, however by chance I did cross her path that day. She was very, very thin - much thinner than she appeared on TV at that time and was wearing a red coat dress and pill hat. - She looked like a pillar box.

I was amazed ealier that week when the hospital corridors and ward that she was to walk down/visit were painted. None of the rest of the hospital was.

I can remember thinking that the Royal Family must think that the world smells of fresh paint.

I don't have anything against the Royal Family. I just don't believe them to be anything other than human and I think that the public fawning and hysteria that surrounds them and their spouses is ridiculous.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinity For This Useful Post:

Meh (03-09-2007), Siobhan (03-09-2007)

I turned on my tv and was annoyed that there was no childrens tv on. then I went into my dads room and complained so he turned on the radio and there was only sad music,not normal music, he assumed it was the queen mum until they mentioned diana.

i was well upset when i turned the news on i ran upstairs and woke my hubby up to tell him

Thread Information