Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jase Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by sean slater View Post
    what baby is crying upstairs? i didnt think there was one on the square?
    It is Janet.. Honey and billy have moved into the vic cause they are kicked out of their flat
    Super Mod

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**

Complaints made following Jase's stabbing

Scenes of a character being stabbed to death in BBC One soap EastEnders have prompted 156 complaints.

The episode, shown before the watershed on Thursday, saw character Jase Dyer being attacked by a criminal gang then lying dead in hospital.

One writer on the BBC Point of View website said: "My wife was physically sick and my son of 13 years was brought to tears."

The BBC said the violence was "implied rather than explicit".

But the corporation admitted some viewers had found the scenes "uncomfortable".

Glamorised

In a statement the BBC said: "This was the climax of a long-running story involving Jase and his former "firm", and we believe this was the outcome that many viewers would have been anticipating in the context of this storyline.

"Whilst issues of violence and knife-crime may be in the news currently, they were not glamorised or glorified in any way within this episode, rather we saw the devastating consequences of such actions and the clear message was that crime does not pay.

"We do appreciate that some viewers found the images of Jase's dead body uncomfortable; however, in trying to fully convey Jay's loss and depth of emotion, we felt it was necessary for viewers to see what he was seeing.

"We understand that some viewers were upset, but we signalled the nature of the content of the episode through the pre-programme continuity announcement and billings."

'Well acted'

Writing on the Points of View website, one viewer said the violence was "disgraceful", while another disagreed saying it was "tame" and there was "absolutely nothing to complain about".

One person wrote: "It was a well written, well acted episode which should be praised, especially the young actor who played Jay."

Earlier this year the BBC received hundreds of complaints over a scene in EastEnders in which someone was buried.

Media watchdog Ofcom upheld complaints that the scenes, featuring character Max Branning being drugged and buried alive, were unsuitable for the time they were aired.

Ofcom said the scenes had a "seriously disturbing" element to them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say, I watched and I didn't realise he was stabbed! And I think someone is going way over the top saying his wife was physically sick - I mean, come on - you see worse things on the news these days.

I thought it was very much like the Little Mo rape scene back along - it was mostly insinuated at what was going to happen and then the aftermath - and it certainly didn't glorify anything as far as I'm concerned. I thought it was very well done.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (01-09-2008)

i was just about to post this, you beat me to it!

i think some people will complain about anything! you didnt see jase being beaten up, only get punched once and i didnt realise he was stabbed til afterwards as i thought the stabbing was going to be shown. and the scenes where jase was dead in the hospital, well i dont watch medical dramas but im assuming they have scenes like that in them? i think tbh some people didnt actually watch the epi but are complaining over what they thought happened being unsuitable! i read someone saying that her idea of entertainment wasnt seeing someone being kicked to death, but we didnt see jase being kicked to death! if people didnt like it they should have turned off or not let their kids watch it. i personally cant see why people are complaining when the violence was only implied, i dont think they showed anything unsuitable, if anything i thought there was much less violence than i was expecting
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

Jojo is offline **Debs Official Stalker**
    Nur nur de nur nur

Sorry - immature of me lol!!

I wonder if these same people watch Holby or Casualty - as you definitely see worse things on there. OK so they are both on generally after 8pm, but even so, you didn't see anything.

I was reading through the posts on the Points of View site and have to say, some of them made me laugh because they were so daft. Half of them were complaining even though they don't watch EE anymore (if you don't watch, then how can you complain ), others were saying it was glamorising gangs and knife crime, yet as we've said, you didn't see the actual stabbing and had they watched after, they would see the fall out starting to happen, showing that no good comes from any of this.

yawn yawn yawn, same old story, change the record! these people that phone up and complain are sad acts that have nothing better to do with their lives!

eastenders is a reflection of real life, these things happen in real life (not everyday, but they do) so from time to time the soaps have to show things like this!

if someone doesn't like this then they need to get a reality check, whether they like it or not, these things happen in life, censoring them out of shows like Eastenders wont take the problem away

a lot of people have criticised Eastenders for killing Jase, but at the end of the day people would still criticise if Jase & Dawn were to sail off into the sunset in the back of Charlie's cab, they'd say it's boring and predictable. at least this was a bit more dramatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    Nur nur de nur nur

Sorry - immature of me lol!!

I wonder if these same people watch Holby or Casualty - as you definitely see worse things on there. OK so they are both on generally after 8pm, but even so, you didn't see anything.

I was reading through the posts on the Points of View site and have to say, some of them made me laugh because they were so daft. Half of them were complaining even though they don't watch EE anymore (if you don't watch, then how can you complain ), others were saying it was glamorising gangs and knife crime, yet as we've said, you didn't see the actual stabbing and had they watched after, they would see the fall out starting to happen, showing that no good comes from any of this.
    lol!

thats what i mean about people complaining when its clear they didnt watch it, if you didnt watch it yourself you cant complain over something you heard that happened, especially when what youve heard is being very overexaggerated or untrue. and as you say, it wasnt glamourising violence, jase was in a gang and doing dodgy stuff and he got killed cos of it, hardly an advertisement for joining gangs and stuff is it?! and terry and the other yobs all got arrested, showing that you wont get away with it, cant really see whats so glamorous about that!
    ~x~Tizzy~x~
    A fool and his money are a girl's best friend

thanks to vicky for making the banna!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to di marco For This Useful Post:

parkerman (31-08-2008)

The whole storyline, episode and incident itself was the very opposite of glamourising knife crime and gang culture. How can anyone say it glamourised it after seeing the devastating effect it had? Obviously on Jase, but also on Jay, Dawn and the whole community. Surely the whole point of the story was show how knife crime and gang culture can destroy lives and wreck everything around them.

Some people ought to stick to watching "In The Night Garden", although even then I remember once that Iggle Piggle fell over and hurt himself. Perhaps people complained about graphic scenes of violence then....
    Last edited by parkerman; 31-08-2008 at 10:55.

it wasnt that bad!!

i didnt realise he had been stabbed until he was on the operating table and you saw a gash

holby and casualty are far more explcit about showing gore.

everything was implied and not specific. i thought it all went a bit hollyoaks with the dream bits- where u saw jay and jase (notably not dawn) happy

Here we go again.............
    Im not surprised this has happened, I think these people are just out to get Eastenders. They must sit there with little notebooks writing down anything and everything they can complain about!

I mean, It wasnt until he was at the hospital and they were talking about what happened that they said 'stabbed' I never even noticed. I swear they didnt even show it!

I didn't even realise Jase had been stabbed! I can think of plenty of scenes worse than this that have appeared on Holby/Casualty (and Holby's before the watershed too!) If you watch a program like Eastenders you expect it to reflect modern life! It's like these people live in a bubble or something.

If you don't like it switch over! Why do these people keep watching if it keeps upsetting them?
    Peter: So how many are there? Is it bad? Olivia: Did you eat? Peter: Yeah. Olivia: Well, that's unfortunate.

Thread Information