Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rainie Cross

I hope we see more of her soon. She was a great character who was played by a wonderful actress - it felt like her drugs storyline wasn't complete in the episodes that she was in and when she left, i felt there wasn't a proper conclusion to it all so i hope she comes back so this storyline can continue!

With the time that she told Tanya about between being caught with drugs and having someone else after her, I don't think it will be long before she tries to make the peace with Tanya and get back under her roof.

Rainie

Phil and Rainie take centre stage in EastEnders this week as they turn to crack cocaine to block out their personal problems. The pair were drawn to each other in the middle of Albert Square after both hitting rock bottom in Friday's episode - and in the coming days they'll head down a destructive path together as Rainie stays at Phil's house. As they try to forget their respective family issues, the duo's main concern soon becomes where their next hit will come from. DS recently caught up with Rainie's portrayer Tanya Franks to discuss this week's episodes.

How did the return to EastEnders come about?
    "I just received a telephone call - literally, just out of the blue. I hadn't been on it for a couple of years but they phoned up and asked me to come back in. It was a real surprise and I didn't expect it at all. I was told the storyline and was told the actors that I'd mostly be working with and was asked whether I'd like to do it. Fortunately, it fitted in with another job that I'm doing at the moment, so it was ideal."

Do you think that fans had been quite keen to see Rainie back?
    "Well I did sometimes get stopped and asked whether I'd be coming back. Every once in a while, if someone recognised me in the street, they'd turn around and say, 'Are you going back in?' So I hope that some people will be happy about it - but I can't speak for everybody!"

Were you excited when you learned that you'd be working with Steve McFadden on such a big storyline?
    "Yeah, I was! I like him and admire him as an actor. One thing that I always find really heartening about EastEnders is that the actors - even those who have been there for a long period of time - still have great integrity towards scripts, towards the work and towards their characters. They just want what is best for the show and really work hard. And Steve is one of the people who I include in that, after seeing the way he works. Once we started working together, it was obvious that we were going to be happy with our working relationship. I hope it's paid off."

Had you interacted with Steve much during your previous stints on the show?
    "No, not at all! I don't think we'd even met before. It was the first time that we'd actually met each other when we started working on this storyline. It's quite a strange set-up, because if you're working with a certain family and your storyline doesn't cross over with anyone else's, you might not even meet the other actors. You're not there 24/7 and people are coming in for different days, or different times of the day, and they might be in a different studio, or out on location."

We saw Rainie get thrown out by Max in Friday's episode - what's her state of mind after that?
    "Well I think that ultimately she has a drugs problem and that's going to be her mind's main focus, really. That's always going to be the thing that takes precedence with her. With this drug problem that she has, unfortunately it's never going to be the right scenario for her in that household as long as she's on drugs. She knows she risks that every time she goes back."

When this week's episodes begin, we see that Phil has brought Rainie back to his house. What happens next?
    "It gets quite dark and dirty, really. Phil and Rainie are two people who meet at a point in their lives where they both see something equivalent in each other. He offers her something that she wants, and that is a place to be, while she has something that he wants, and that's drugs - so it's a match at that time."

Phil and Rainie become quite destructive influences on each other - but in better circumstances, and if they were both clean, do you think they'd make a good couple?
    "Who knows?! Possibly. If they were both prepared to completely clean up then I suppose that is possible. I think that with anyone who has these kind of problems and addictions, if you take the step to want to move away from them, anything becomes possible."

EastEnders and Steve himself have done a lot of research for this drugs storyline - is that something you were involved in as well?
    "Yes, EastEnders were very helpful with me on research for the addiction storyline. Even the first time I went into EastEnders, they were really good about bringing someone in to guide me through on heroin addiction - that was when I first went in three years ago. So yes, they're really helpful in that way and I was able to ask them for the help that I needed. I did my own research as well, but for any extras that I needed, I was able to ask them. Plus, a lady from the organisation DrugScope came in and she gave me a lot of advice."

Do you think that, as a result, the upcoming episodes see a very realistic portrayal of two people with drug problems?
    "Yes, especially with the time of evening that it has to go out. Obviously you want it to be as realistic and believable as it can be because that's the character that you're playing. Obviously I'm always going to go for the truth of Rainie and I hope that comes across."

We see over the next week that Phil's addiction develops very quickly - was that a deliberate device to show the dangers of crack cocaine?
    "Well I think, in that respect, it's probably quite a good depiction because, from what I understand, it is the kind of drug that you can take once and once you've taken it, there's a chance that you will want to take it again. It's not something that you can really try to see what it's like, you have to be prepared for the fact that if you try it, you could well want to be in that place again. The effects of it wear off quite quickly, which is what we were trying to portray through the episodes, so you have to have a hit again quite quickly. If you want to sustain a high, it leads to quite a repetitive situation and it can be quite a quick spiral downwards."

The next few episodes see Rainie experiencing immense highs and immense lows due to her addiction. Was it a challenge to film such a wide range of emotions?
    "Absolutely. But you just have to get into the mindset really - you have to know that your mind is jumping all over the place. I just had to get into a place where my energies were in a different place than they would usually be as Tanya. Your mind has to work in a different way as you're playing someone with a continual want and only one focus, essentially - and that's where she's going to get her next hit."

What was it like to film the scene where Phil angrily pours whiskey over Rainie's face?
    "I wouldn't say it was a pleasure! (Laughs) It wasn't real whiskey and that's one of the wonders of television, I guess. But I think that any scenes like that are quite disturbing to do, because it's not particularly nice having drink poured in your face in any situation! It isn't something that Rainie wants to happen and it's as much as a shock for her as it was for me!"

There are quite a few uncomfortable moments like that - do you think the storyline becomes quite dark, given the timeslot restrictions?
    "Well I think they wanted to be quite brave with that, and I think it's quite an important storyline to have, because there are a lot of people who watch and it may be relevant to them, or someone in their family, or a friend. So I think that we wanted to be as brave as possible with it, within the restrictions of the timeslot. And I give credit to the director for that - for letting us go down a route where we could really explore the darker sides of it."

Is there any closure for Rainie at the end of this latest stint, and is there a chance we might see her again?
    "You'll have to wait and see! I can't give anything away!"

What kind of impact would you like this storyline to have?
    "Just that if there are people who have a drugs problem, or an addiction problem of any kind really, they might watch something like this and it could trigger something in their mind that is relevant to them, or someone that they know. Hopefully it could make people think twice about carrying on with that, and perhaps look into getting some help. The organisation that we worked with, DrugScope, gives a lot of help and advice for people with drug addictions. I think it can be hugely helpful when a show as popular as EastEnders does something like this."

Were you disappointed not to work with Jo Joyner this time around?
    "Yeah, she's lovely! It's lovely working with Jo and I really enjoyed working with her before. But that's the nature of that kind of show - she's gone off and she's had a family and so she's not there at the moment. But at the same time, some of the other actors that I've worked with are also lovely."

And finally, what's next for you career-wise?
    "Well, at the moment I'm actually filming a BBC One children's television show - a comedy show called Hotel Trubble. It's really crazy and couldn't be more opposite to Rainie if it possibly tried! I'm a new regular in that for two series."

all ready posted under thread phil addicted to drugs.. Closing
    Super Mod

Rainie

Cora Cross gets a much-needed boost next week as her troubled daughter Rainie moves in with her.

Rainie (Tanya Franks) ends up relying on support from her mother after Phil Mitchell continues to interfere with her messy personal life.

After Phil (Steve McFadden) tells his partner Sharon Rickman (Letitia Dean) about Ian and Rainie's sordid secret, she reminds him that it's not his problem and to stay well out of it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (19-08-2014)

Troubled EastEnders character Rainie Cross goes on the warpath next week, meaning that she poses more of a threat to Ian Beale's secret than ever before.

When Rainie realises that she has nothing else left to lose, she prepares to tell the truth about how Ian (Adam Woodyatt) paid her for sex on the night that his daughter Lucy was murdered. Will Ian be able to stop her, or will he be too late this time?

Digital Spy recently caught up with Tanya Franks, who plays Rainie, to hear more about her alter ego's future and the reasons behind her extreme behaviour.

Was it a surprise when you got the call to return to EastEnders?
    "Yeah, it was actually! I was in Los Angeles at the time and the call came completely out of the blue. I had no idea that anybody was thinking about bringing Rainie back, so it was very nice to get the call."

Have you always been interested in possibly coming back?
    "I have for the right storyline. There's been a couple of occasions in the past when I wasn't able to come back, and so this time was lovely because it was the right storyline and the right time. I felt happy about the story and working alongside these different characters, so I wanted to take it on. If something interests you then it's definitely worth talking about!"

Have you enjoyed exploring Rainie now that she's back at rock bottom again?
    "Yes I have. It's a change to where Rainie was going before, as there was a point where she was perhaps having more of a hold on herself, but this is sometimes what happens to people. Unless someone with Rainie's problems really can commit to making the change, quite often they will end up going back to square one.

"That's where Rainie is at the moment and it's a bit of a vicious cycle for her. It takes a lot of strength to want to come out of that situation. Some people can find that strength, thank goodness, but for some people it's so much more difficult. They need support from the people around them more than they like to admit."

Rainie takes the money from Cora and leaves
    © BBC
    Rainie is struggling to feed her addiction

Does the role require much personal research on your part?
    "It does require research and I certainly have to make sure that there's a real understanding of what Rainie is going through at any given time and the effects of what she's using. That's why I love playing her, because she's always a challenge to me and I always learn something new from her."

We'll have to wait and see if Rainie can turn things around, but do you hope something positive can come out of the story for the viewers?
    "I do. I think it'd be great if people could stop judging other people in society and start to realise that we all have our problems and issues. For some people it's addiction and for some people it might be emotional problems. They're all things that we have to tackle.

"No matter what the choices are that people have made in the past, we should focus on how we can make somebody's day better now or tomorrow. I hope that having characters like this in a show like EastEnders makes people think once in a while, as that's definitely not a bad thing."

Next week, it looks like Rainie is ready to expose Ian's secret… Why is that?
    "Rainie has almost entrapped herself with this need to get money for drugs, but at the same time, there's also a moral issue with it now.

"Rainie thinks that society and the other characters on the Square are all quick to judge her, call her names and say that she's not worth anything. She thinks they should look at their own lives! They may not have her problems, but some of them are also doing bad things and she thinks they're not any better than she is. Rainie very much hits that moral defence of herself, so that's why she's a danger to Ian's secret."

What happens when Cora tries once again to help Rainie?
    "There's always an interesting dynamic between Rainie and Cora. It's lovely, because those characters have a lot of history even though it's not necessarily a happy one.

"Rainie did live with Cora before, but whether you can say they've actually been there for each other is a different thing. Cora has a lot of love for Rainie and still sees herself as her mother, so she tries to help in the best way she can.

"I think it's quite interesting to explore how families manage to see past the tragic side when it really comes down to needing each other. This time, Rainie really needs Cora."

Rainie promises to stay with Cora and get clean
    © BBC
    Rainie promises to stay with Cora and get clean

As Tanya, do you want Rainie to change or is it more interesting when she's troubled?
    "It's a real mixture, actually, because even when Rainie is getting back on track, I'm always aware that the troubled side of her is only a slight element away. Even if Rainie is having a good time, she's also fighting her own inner demons. That's always bubbling beneath, even if everything seems to be normal.

"It's always interesting to explore the troubled side of Rainie because it's such a stretch and I learn so much about elements of the human psyche that I didn't know before. You have to go to a place that you may not necessarily want to."

You always keep busy with other roles, but would you ever be interested in a more permanent deal with EastEnders?
    "Well, I did eight months on the last contract and that's quite a long time. I don't know, to be honest - I can't really say for sure. If it was talked about and I felt that it was really still going to challenge me as an actor in some way or another, then it's always worth thinking about.

"But at the same time, if I was to take a permanent role with EastEnders, I wouldn't get a chance to work on all of the other lovely productions that I work on. I never say never because you never know what's going to happen, but right now it's lovely being able to come and go."

Your scenes with Steve McFadden (Phil Mitchell) four years ago were really memorable. Were you glad to get the chance to work with him again for your recent scenes?
    "Yeah, definitely. I enjoy working with Steve and I think our characters have an interesting dynamic. I think there's a kindred spirit there between Phil and Rainie, so that's always something that is interesting to explore."

Phil drags Rainie off to the allotments
    © BBC
    Phil and Rainie have been sharing more scenes

What is Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beale) like to work with?
    "I think the amazing thing with EastEnders is how the long-standing cast members like Adam still have such integrity towards the work. It feels like people want to do their best, and they want the show to be the best that it can be.

"Adam's fun to work with and he's a lovely guy. Before this, we've never really had anything to do together. We've been in scenes together but never interacted properly, so it's been great to have that experience with him."

How do EastEnders fans react to you?
    "Everybody's been lovely actually. Rainie seems to have been a character that has captured people's interest, so when people speak to me, it's usually from quite a positive point of view and that's always lovely! Nobody's been horrible or anything like that. Whether they are from a distance I don't know, but certainly when they approach me they're not!"

Do you have a theory on who killed Lucy?
    "I don't! I think they've set it up so well that it could be a number of people. I don't have any idea. I'm sure there's probably a tiny core of people who do know, but I'm not one of the chosen few! That's a whole big tangled web, that one!"
    Last edited by Perdita; 22-08-2014 at 05:44.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (22-08-2014), tammyy2j (22-08-2014)

Online talk of her return tomorrow and permanently in Spring

Rainie Cross is set to make a dramatic return to EastEnders in coming months as Tanya Franks is reprising the role she last played in 2014. Viewers will see Rainie make a brief appearance on Friday 19th January as part of the final episode of Abi Branning as Lorna Fitzgerald’s character dies. But she will then make a longer term return later in the year and will undoubtedly bring chaos to those around her.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/18/easten...1/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

she married max is this to get custody of abi baby?

rainie and jack have a history, secret child? history revisited?

Thread Information